Slowing down a fan! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #1

Name: Russ
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Slowing down a fan!

Have any of the members purchased a Vortex fan or any thing similar that doesn't have a speed control on it ever wondered if a speed control could be added. Well I haven't tried this but just found it on line and looks inexpensive. I am getting one. I think it will work. 12 volt and all.

Manual 12V DC Variable Speed controller with Molex connector
Russell A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Russell, I think it should work fine. I guess it's worth the price to find out. Let us know.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Russ. Two ways to do it. 1) Voltage reduction-A resistive network (i.e. voltage divider) where one resistor is variable, the other includes the fan. Reducing the voltage to the fan will slow it down atleast to a point. Inefficient and could damage the fan motor. 2) Pulse width modulation- Here an electronic circuit outputs the full voltage or none . On off on off etc. The duration (period ) of on+off is always the same. If on is longer than off (wide pulse) the fan goes fast. If on is shorter than off, the fan goes slow. Always on, max speed. Most efficient way to do it. I did this to my fan.

I can't tell by the description but I bet it's PWM. Probably enough current to control a muffin fan, like the ones used on a desktop computer ( less than an amp). When it comes connect it to a digital voltmeter. The meter reading will be erratic if it is pulse width modulation and steady if it's a resistor network. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #4

Name: Russ
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
Russell, I think it should work fine. I guess it's worth the price to find out. Let us know.

Comes out to $14.50 shipped. Gonna give it a try! Let you know.
Russell A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell A View Post
Have any of the members purchased a Vortex fan or any thing similar that doesn't have a speed control on it ever wondered if a speed control could be added. Well I haven't tried this but just found it on line and looks inexpensive. I am getting one. I think it will work. 12 volt and all.

Manual 12V DC Variable Speed controller with Molex connector
Hi Russell, I was wondering how the speed controller worked out for you? I'm trying to do the same thing with a muffin fan but haven't found a solution. I tried a variable resistor rheostat (3 watts, 25k ohm) with a 12 volt 0.25A muffin fan but the resistor heated up too much. What I would really like to do is connect 2 of these muffin fans.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Please keep in mind that I'm electronically challenged.

Thanks, Karen
Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I'd be a little concerned. Multi-speed fans, like my Fantastic Fan, use resistors to reduce the line voltage going to the fan motor. Putting a resistor in the line does two things: reduces the line voltage (the flow of electricity) and generates heat. To dissipate the heat Fantastic puts their resistors in a little alcove that the fan blows air through to cool them down and prevent fires.

In this pic you see the original Fantastic Fan resistors, which are the coils of wire, and an extra resistor I added for a 4th fan speed, the rectangular block-like-thing, all sitting next to an opening in the fan casing so they get a constant airflow.

Just something to think about.
Attached Thumbnails
4thFanSpeed-0-640x.JPG  
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I think a house dimmer switch should work.
Click image for larger version

Name:	663ea078-39e0-4791-aad3-e9045b8b3469_4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	34086
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have called Fantastic Fan in the past and asked about slowing down the speed and they sent me a free kit which I installed to slow the speed down. They also sent me a reverse switch, again free, to reverse my fan. Great company to deal with.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
I think a house dimmer switch should work.
Attachment 34086
Those won't work on DC. They're TRIAC or SCR operated. They work on AC circuits by turning the load on at different phase points on the leading or trailing edge of the sinusoidal input waveform. Since the DC power has no phase change, you'd get no modulation.

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd go with what Jim suggests, call Fantastic first.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Is the fantastic fan kit a whole new switch or add-on part to the existing one? My muffin fan has no switch and is only about 4 inches square. I beleive they are used to cool computers and other electronics.
Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen L W View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Is the fantastic fan kit a whole new switch or add-on part to the existing one? My muffin fan has no switch and is only about 4 inches square. I beleive they are used to cool computers and other electronics.
If you have a 12v muffin fan you could certainly use one of the regulator circuits linked in the early posts. You might even be able to buy a fan controller at a computer store that's dedicated to pc builders Those small fans draw well under an ampere. The larger ones like the 14inch fantastic fans approach 5 amps at top output.

To answer your question the sophisticated controllers are pulse width modulated and more efficient, offering more steps or even continuously variable speed. If it's just a 3-speed fan it probably (almost certainly) has a resistor network and just burns off the energy as heat.

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Perhaps implied in all this is matching the resistor rating to the expected current. Many of the hobby shop resistors are 1/4 watt (or less). For example, I believe 1 amp at 12 VDC is 12 watts. Heavier duty resistors are sometimes called "power" resistors.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I don't see a curent rating on the speed controller listed above, but if you need one that can carry up to 8 amps, check This ebay unit. I use it to control a string of lights.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen L W View Post
It is an add on switch to an existing operating fantastic fan.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote