Small 110v Refrigerator - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Small 110v Refrigerator

I'm in the process of renovating my Trillium 1300. The existing Dometic RM211 refrigerator doesn't work on any settings, has bad seals and is in generally poor condition. I don't want to purchase a new 3-way primarily do to the cost and the renovations necessary to get it to fit into the available space.

I am looking at purchasing a 2.7 cf Haier refrigerator from Home Depot. It will fit into the space with minor modifications and has a boatload of room on the inside. Most of my camping will be were I can plug into a current bush and I have an "extreme" cooler to hold lots of adult beverages and to use in the rare instances when I am boondocking.

I am concerned about the durability and reliability of the frig when taking into account road conditions and the vibrations that will be encountered pulling the trailer to various camping destinations.

If anyone could give me some feedback of their experiences with this type of frig in their eggs and any pros and cons it would be greatly appreciated.

Trilliums Rock!
Spanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
There are a lot of folks using room air conditioner in their trailers. Same system, different box. Those seem to take the abuse. Raz

Raz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Name: Camilla
Trailer: 73 Playpac
In my older other non-egg camper there is a regular refrigerator that has to be thirty years old. Works fine after banging down the road for that long...
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
I would look at reviews on the Haier refrigerator before purchasing it. This is not a manufacturer that I think a lot of but others may have had different experiences. If you google for the frig, you should get a list of different sites that have reviews. Online, I have used Compact Appliances for some smaller things for the house and they have a variety that might be worth checking out. I once ordered a Haier dishwasher and it had to go back and when I was purchasing a washer/dryer combo machine, I looked at the Haier but did not purchase because of the reviews. As I have said, others may feel different but better to do all the research you can these days before making a purchase.
Cathy P. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Thanks for the replies. The Haier gets pretty good reviews, but, they are sitting in offices, dorm rooms and garages! I'll probably give it a try and see what happens.

Trilliums Rock!
Spanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
I picked this up on Ebay:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

as I wanted to go fully electric.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
I installed a standard Magic Chef 4 cubic foot fridge in an earlier trailer when the three way failed. It worked great. We ran it off our 1200 watt Inverter when driving if needed.

I looked at the different brands and most had identical compressors. It never had a single issue in over four years and was bigger inside than the original and only cost $120.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
I had a little dorm fridge in the Burro and it worked fine, but while traveling it's off so it only stayed cold for about 3 hours. I got tired of that. I prefer a fridge that keeps working while I drive. Not saying your situation or usage pattern will be the same, though.
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Not sure if you'll have room for it, but I bought an Emerson 3.1 cu-ft fridge from Target recently and am very happy with it. I use it at home as a bar fridge. It had a REAL freezer compartment with its own door -- NOT the little fake freezers inside the fridge compartment of most mini fridges. The freezer stays right at 4'F. The same basic fridge is sold under different names with slightly different interior layouts. Prices usually range from $189 to $239, but I got it from Target's web site for $129 plus $25 shipping.

It also has a lock that secures both the freezer and fridge doors. This would be a bonus in a trailer, as it would keep the doors from opening during transit.
SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Haier also makes something caled a "Solid State" refrigerator. DO NOT consider it for a TT application, it will only cool about 30 degrees below ambient, OK in a dorm room but of little use in a TT. Be sure what you get has a real compressor....hmmmmmm....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote