Small Fridge - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I wonder how often a fridge gets opened during a day. I'd say not too many times.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #22

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
That's the beauty of 12v fridges, they are compressor just like home fridges. They cool way faster, stay cool way better, don't have to be leveled, and a single decent solar panel will provide more than enough energy to keep the batteries charged. Don't have to worry how often the fridge is opened unlike the propane fridges.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Eddie, that is a great idea. It is definitely outside of box thinking. I've been toying with the idea of enlarging the rear side windows anyway and there doesn't appear to be much if any bracing in the way unlike my Trillium. Another idea that I had was to trim 1/2 inch off of each side of the door opening. This would bring me to 23 1/4". I was then going to cut two 2x4's at 24 1/4". I would then take my frame jack and see if I could carefully spread the opening another inch while inserting the 2x4's. I'm sure there is a little give in the fiberglass but wouldn't want to crack the gel coat. Don't think I would want to try this in the cold weather though, might have to wait for it to reach into the 100's.
You could remove the door from the refrigerator for a couple of inches gain.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #24

Registry
"You could remove the door from the refrigerator for a couple of inches gain."

I wish but that's already been factored into the equation.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Are any of the windows large enough to get the refrigerator out using the hole? Casita changed the rear back window from small to large for that very reason. Or, if the refrigerator is no longer viable, do like contractors do when remodeling homes and need to get bathtubs out. Break it up inside and haul the pieces out the door.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #26

Registry
Donna the rear side windows in the Scamp 19' are 24"x 17 1/2". If I could find one 24x24 or even wider not taller it would be fine. Trim off 2" above and below and voila!

The old fridge is the tiny RM211. No problem getting it out. My other half, and myself, wanted to upgrade to the shiny new bigger edition. The new little electric is 1.7 cu ft so instead of larger it is actually smaller. I don't mind so much but it is a bit of a harder sell to my Gal! I suppose if I hadn't bought it, showed it off, and got her hopes up over the past couple months it wouldn't have been as much of issue.

Update: Now I'm going to install the little electric temporarily in the old space instead of cutting up the counters and ripping stuff out. We'll use it at Quartzite and see how it goes.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Steve, I don't mean to cause trouble, but have you considered just putting an RM211 back in? They seem pretty common, (I have two spares).
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Steve, I don't mean to cause trouble, but have you considered just putting an RM211 back in? They seem pretty common, (I have two spares).
No, the one I have semi works and I'm sure I could probably fix it if I took the time. We really wanted something new and bigger. Now we may have to settle for new and smaller LOL!

Originally I just wanted to know how people dealt with small fridges. I just, prior to this Scamp, sold a stick 5th wheel with a beautiful large 2 door refrigerator freezer. It was always well stocked if you know what I mean.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #29

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
We use ice cooler for beverages or things that don't mind a little moisture and water jug with ice for drinking water.

Do the same thing as others have mentioned. Put blue ice packs in freezer to "hold" temp when traveling and help with moderating temp changes when fridge is opened.

To a large extent we try to avoid foods that need cold storage or pick them up as needed.

Had a 12 volt compressor fridge in the past and really liked it, with solar being as reasonable in price as it is I would think that is an even better option today.

Those 12 volt portable coolers are rated by the temp differential they can generate against outside temp. 40 degrees "cooling" sounds good unless outside temp is 95 degrees. So that rating is something to look for when puchasing these.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #30

Registry
"Those 12 volt portable coolers are rated by the temp differential they can generate against outside temp. 40 degrees "cooling" sounds good unless outside temp is 95 degrees. So that rating is something to look for when purchasing these."

Unless it's a 12v compressor it's not good. Those heat sink things that cool and or heat don't get nearly cold enough and they use way too much power.

Tags
fridge