Small quiet elec space heater? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium Outback
British Columbia
Registry
Small quiet elec space heater?

Hi

I've been looking for a small relatively low wattage quiet space heater as a compliment to my propane furnace which seems to be overkill for a small Trill Outback.

With me being a light sleeper, the fan is a bit like sharing a small room with 747. It works fine and I like knowing it is there if I don't have shore power but if I could find a nice quiet 110 space heater that puts out approx 500 watts I would be a happier well rested camper.

Any tips much appreciated!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: BCPaul...We found one at Can.Tire that's actually made in Canada. Quite quiet on low setting and nice on low heat and has a thermostat so it comes on/off by its self. ThermaFlo by Seabreeze. I think they only carry one model in stock CTC# 043-5813-4 slim line aprox $40.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
It is not easy to find a space heater that only draws 500W. Most of them are 1500W. However, a cube heater with a variable speed fan and some sort of temp sensor or thermostat might step the wattage down as the temperature rises. I think some of them might simply reduce fan speed but continue to draw the watts for the heating element (not sure though) and others might click off completely for a while (sort of all-or-nothing).

For size, it's hard to match a cube heater. If size is your main concern, then it becomes a search for one with the quietest fan and best system for reducing fan speed (and noise) as the trailer gets warmer.

If quietness is the main goal and you can tolerate larger size, look for a convection heater or oil-filled radiant heater.

I carry two electric heaters. The convection heater is a 6 or 7 year old Holmes brand baseboard style unit, and the cube is a "Original Disc Furnace" (seriously, that is what it says on it) that I picked up used from ebay. The Holmes is totally quiet but the "thermostat" acts like it is time based and not temp sensing (if it's a cold night I need to turn it up more, it doesn't compensate like a true thermostat would). The cube has a variable speed fan that slows nicely as the TT heats, until finally the fan is barely moving (but the small amount of air coming out is still very hot).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	39208

Here are the two electrics in the trailer.

My elderly mother (now deceased) had a Pelonis cube that she really liked. I always thought that its fan was relatively unobjectionable, compared to some others I'd heard. I think they have a variable speed feature like my cube, but not positive.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have a cube heater (unknown brand) and find the cycling of the fan at night wakes me up. I'm looking at this: DeLonghi TRN0812T Safe Heat Oil-Filled Radiator Heater - 1200 Watt# More watts than you want, but I'm looking for silence...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have a cube heater (unknown brand) and find the cycling of the fan at night wakes me up. I'm looking at this: DeLonghi TRN0812T Safe Heat Oil-Filled Radiator Heater - 1200 Watt# More watts than you want, but I'm looking for silence...
Here you go, I have one and it is perfect for our "Egg"- only 400 watts
AH-400 NewAir Portable Space Heater With Adjustable Temperature Control - FREE GROUND SHIPPING!
Attached Images

cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Most of the little cube heaters which I have owned have had three settings fan, 750W heat, and 1500W.
The 750W setting is more than adequate for a Small Fiberglass trailer in all but the coldest environments.
Note; It is wise to leave the roof vent open an inch or so when using supplemental heat, to avoid condensation on the windows and walls.
The following example has 900W for the low setting but it has the features which are typical of the above described heaters, I refer more to the 8945 version....

Portable Ceramic Heaters, Ceramic Heaters, Model 8900, Model 8945

This one uses less power but is convection only, no fan... It looks pretty cool...uh warm....

Portable Heaters, Dia Cast Heater, Model 8605
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
AH-400 NewAir Portable Space Heater With Adjustable Temperature Control - FREE GROUND SHIPPING!
That does look good, it is liquid filled and fanless. A big plus with that one is that it is a little more intrinsicly safe around fabrics and plastics and such.
The down side... no fan or higher heat settings. Also it is large, the little cube fits securely and conveniently on the stove or the counter.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
That does look good, is it liquid filled and fanless?
yes, it has liquid, no fan, and it has a thermostat so you can leave it on low and it stays warm while off due to the liquid inside
Old 08-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #9

Pennsylvania
Registry
And I have one of these for my dog, I put it under his dog bed in the winter and he loves it- less than 1 amp and 100 watts
FW Indus Tool Insulated Heat Mat For Personal Space Heating - FREE GROUND SHIPPING!
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
yes, it has liquid, no fan, and it has a thermostat so you can leave it on low and it stays warm while off due to the liquid inside
Certainly as quiet as any available as well.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I've got one of those oil radiator heaters, never thought of using it in an egg but it should work really well in there.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #12

Quote:
This looks like the ticket, the only two major downsides I found reading the reviews are:

The feet are not very good. There is not any information to reorder additional feet. We have broken 2 of them which renders the unit worthless.

The only negatives I have is that if you lower the thermostat it makes a loud "click" noise when going off; also, the feet are wobbly and I find it awkward picking up with 1 little handle.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
This looks like the ticket, the only two major downsides I found reading the reviews are:

The feet are not very good. There is not any information to reorder additional feet. We have broken 2 of them which renders the unit worthless.

The only negatives I have is that if you lower the thermostat it makes a loud "click" noise when going off; also, the feet are wobbly and I find it awkward picking up with 1 little handle.
I read that and the feet are plastic but I have a back up if needed (I have used it for 3 years now without the backup feet)
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #14

Yeah, Jim and there's always JB Weld!!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #15

British Columbia
Registry
These are great tips. I am looking into each of them. Keep them coming if there are others.

Sorry for the lack of replies from me but tonight before I got wifi working I had to deal with a pee-facial for having forgotten to release the air pressure from our portable toilet. That was particularly unpleasant. Lesson learned!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #16

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008

-400 NewAir Portable Space Heater With Adjustable Temperature Control - FREE GROUND SHIPPING!
What are the approx dimensions of this 400 watt heater? So far no luck finding the size online.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPaul View Post
What are the approx dimensions of this 400 watt heater? So far no luck finding the size online.
Paul I found this in the product specifications at the bottom of the link page:
Product Dimensions: 20.75" L x 2.5" W x 14.88" H
Product Weight: 12 pounds
Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Paul I found this in the product specifications at the bottom of the link page:
Product Dimensions: 20.75" L x 2.5" W x 14.88" H
Product Weight: 12 pounds
It is a nice little heater, I've used mine for 3 years now in the rv, without any issues with regards the plastic feet. The feet are removable and are still being used on the heater. It sits under my dinette table and keeps everyone toasty.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Donna. Searching on a "smart"phone web browser just seems to make me look dumb. It's all too easy to miss stuff!

That oil heater seems to be perfect - 400 watts, quiet - however I'm concerned about the size (where to put it?) and a review saying it gets plastic-melting hot. We have 2 children with us so things get a little crowded with all the beds setup.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPaul View Post
Thanks Donna. Searching on a "smart"phone web browser just seems to make me look dumb. It's all too easy to miss stuff!

That oil heater seems to be perfect - 400 watts, quiet - however I'm concerned about the size (where to put it?) and a review saying it gets plastic-melting hot. We have 2 children with us so things get a little crowded.
There is a thermostat on the unit so you can turn down the heat to warm vs hot, like all heaters, keep away from children. You can put it on a table if you want, heat will rise.