smallest fiberglass with toilet that sleeps 2 children - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've been back country camping (40 - 60 days/year) for 40 plus years now. No tents and no aluminium! There are some really light FG units available these days that are very easy to tow. I have an '05 Trail Cruiser, 26 feet long, just over 3000 lb. Low profile roof makes it easier to tow. Front island bed, two rear bunks, table can convert into a bed, fridge and freezer, 4 piece bath, considerable room inside. Easy on propane, solar panels after market. These units are available for under 10K.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I've been back country camping (40 - 60 days/year) for 40 plus years now. No tents and no aluminium! There are some really light FG units available these days that are very easy to tow. I have an '05 Trail Cruiser, 26 feet long, just over 3000 lb. Low profile roof makes it easier to tow. Front island bed, two rear bunks, table can convert into a bed, fridge and freezer, 4 piece bath, considerable room inside. Easy on propane, solar panels after market. These units are available for under 10K.
Yes, but members here are all-molded-towable owners and wannabees. There's plenty of "stickies" that have toilets. I think the OP is looking for something 13' or less in an all-molded-towable.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:46 AM   #17

Alberta
Thanks Donna, when I saw fiberglass I didn't realize that meant "only" molded so I joined your group. I'm not a fan of "stickies" either. The last one I had got totaled in a hail storm. My current FG unit has been through two hail storms and all I lost was the roof vent covers. I've owned FG before, better quality and the banter on your forum is good too. Cheers
Old 10-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #18

Name: Emily
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
You can reduce price and weight considerably by going with a 13' with a porta-potti stashed under the front bunks. You sacrifice privacy and overall roominess. I just got a Thetford Porta-potti and can't believe I waited this long, it's really convenient.
I for one can't imagine trying to stuff a family of four into a 13'er but, if your towing capacity and wallet dictate it then... Our kids are now 7 and 11, they've been booted to a tent, and love the adventure of it. I love having them out of the camper, for lots of reasons.
But it's so cozy with all four of us tucked inside our little 13 foot Scamp!! We have a 15 yo (115 lbs, bottom bunk) and 13 year old (65 lbs, top bunk) and they sleep on the bunks still. I've tried to kick them out to a little tent, but they like their bunks and we all love our Scamp! I'm looking into making bunk curtains for a bit more privacy, but so far we've all been happy with the size of our Scamp and just using the facilities at the campground!
Old 10-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #19

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
I agree Emily! I camp with 3 "kids" ages 14, 19 and 20 in our 13 ft Scamp. The 14 and 19 yr olds are only 5 ft tall lightweight girls but the 20 yr old is 6ft and 150lbs. We spend all our time outside including cooking but when weather is too bad we all 4 sit at the Scamp table playing cards or watching a movie on the laptop. I have the Deluxe model so have the bigger bed in the back and theoretically I can sleep 3 in it and 2 more in the bunks lol. For bad weather I set the portapotti up in the doorway with a curtain hung from a spring loaded rod otherwise we use the campground facilities. I think a 13 with 2 little ones and a porta potti is definitely doable and even recommended with your lower tow capacity. When my youngest sleeps in the bottom bunk she likes to hang a blanket from the upper bunk and make her own little private fort still. She can watch a movie on the portable DVD player without the light bothering the rest of us trying to sleep while she winds down and falls asleep.

Good Luck in your search,

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
But it's so cozy with all four of us tucked inside our little 13 foot Scamp!! We have a 15 yo (115 lbs, bottom bunk) and 13 year old (65 lbs, top bunk) and they sleep on the bunks still. I've tried to kick them out to a little tent, but they like their bunks and we all love our Scamp! I'm looking into making bunk curtains for a bit more privacy, but so far we've all been happy with the size of our Scamp and just using the facilities at the campground!
Old 10-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #20

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
Melissa
You are a Trooper, a Champ and an Inspiration. Thanks for your uplifting post.

Walt
Old 10-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #21

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 13
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Now there's an idea! Let the kids sleep in the camper and the folks go to a hotel.

Perhaps the ParkLiner with bunk option over the side dinette.

The 13 ft Scamps, I think, with bunks have no toilet, just a port-potty.
Wayne is correct.

13 foot Scamps with bunks have no bathroom; only a porta-potty.

An all-molded Scamp16 Layout 4 has a narrower (44" wide) bed/dinette.

A Scamp16 Deluxe Layout A (with bunks) has the wider (54") bed/dinette and the side bathroom.

Sadly, after the recent $3K price increase, I think that a new very basic 15-foot Parkliner might be roughly the same price as a fairly well equipped (option package) new Scamp16 Deluxe. (You should do your own checking on that.)

Good luck on your search! ☺

Ray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 10-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #22

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
2500# tow capacity is fine for pulling a very lightweight trailer on flat roads. We have a 2500# trailer and a Ford Escape with a 3500# tow capacity, and we want a truck to tow it. The Escape just doesn't swing it going up hills of about any kind.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
2001 F-150 XLT 4wd Super Cab 4.6L
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #23

Name: Don
Trailer: in the market
Texas
Definitely doable, but we are looking to do an extended 6month + trip in a camper to more remote areas (no amenities). With the little ones and everything, we would just prefer a bathroom. My wife and I prefer more backcountry type camping, so we hope for extended stays in unimproved campgrounds and national forest areas as a compromise (since we have the little kids). Still looking still waiting for the right time and camper....

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
I agree Emily! I camp with 3 "kids" ages 14, 19 and 20 in our 13 ft Scamp. The 14 and 19 yr olds are only 5 ft tall lightweight girls but the 20 yr old is 6ft and 150lbs. We spend all our time outside including cooking but when weather is too bad we all 4 sit at the Scamp table playing cards or watching a movie on the laptop. I have the Deluxe model so have the bigger bed in the back and theoretically I can sleep 3 in it and 2 more in the bunks lol. For bad weather I set the portapotti up in the doorway with a curtain hung from a spring loaded rod otherwise we use the campground facilities. I think a 13 with 2 little ones and a porta potti is definitely doable and even recommended with your lower tow capacity. When my youngest sleeps in the bottom bunk she likes to hang a blanket from the upper bunk and make her own little private fort still. She can watch a movie on the portable DVD player without the light bothering the rest of us trying to sleep while she winds down and falls asleep.

Good Luck in your search,

Melissa
Old 10-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
From all you say, I still come back to a Scamp 16 side bath. But it typically weighs pretty close to 2500 pounds loaded. Casita 16Ds are even heavier.

What vehicle are we talking about? A 2500 pound tow rating seems pretty marginal, especially if your route includes mountain grades and high altitudes. I'd guess the empty weight of the Scamp is around 2000 pounds depending on options. You will need to think like backpackers when you load.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #25

Name: Don
Trailer: in the market
Texas
2008 Subaru Forester. It will be right on the cusp of the limits, but again that is USA towing limits, which seem to be way more conservative then other countries. And of course that is with electric brakes, which is a must. I've also upgraded the rear suspension, and still have the option of firmer rear springs if needed. You're right, it won't be fun going through the mountains but we're in no hurry!
Old 10-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #26

Alberta
Thanks All, enjoy your trips!
Old 10-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Whoa, Don... Subarus have a 200 pound tongue weight limit. To maintain the recommended minimum 10% tongue weight for stable, sway-free towing, you are limited to a 2000 pound trailer.

There has been lots of discussion of this, and opinions vary, as expected. You might do a google site search (bottom of the search menu) on "Subaru towing."

Euro towing set-ups allow for lower tongue weight ratios, but towing speeds are restricted and newer vehicles have built-in anti-sway software.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #28

Name: lee
Trailer: 1981 Bigfoot,1971 trailswest campster, 1975 Hunter l, homebuilt teardrop
Idaho
It might be helpful for you to visit "trailer weights in the real world located here " Trailer Weights in the Real World". Looks like a 16 foot Scamp side bath loaded for camping weighs in at 2600 lbs. The chart will give you the weights of many brands. I couldn't get the link to post but go to the forum look at general chat then trailer weights in the real world Lee