Snap Cap rings/waterproofing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Curently Shopping
Ohio
Snap Cap rings/waterproofing

I'm getting our new-to-us 1999 Casita SD ready for her shakedown trip. One potential issue is that many of the rivets are missing their caps. A previous owner applied clear silicone sealant in each case when the caps cracked up. Now, many of the rings are also missing their rims (I think due to the same UV exposure that kills the caps). In many cases the rings are still okay under the metal rivet (existing as a flat washer). Any thoughts on the most practical repair method? Two options occur to me:
A) Just-get-it-done approach: Clean off existing silicone and loose snap caps/snap ring fragments. If ring has a rim, then apply a small bit of new sealant (Sikaflex 505UV) around the edge and a small dab on the top of the rivet, snap the cap down. If the ring edge is gone, apply a bigger blob and and use it to adhere a snap cap over the top (to protect from further UV damage and for aesthetics)

B ) The "by the book" approach: If the snap ring isn't there/can't hold a snap cap, then drill out the rivet and install a new rivet with a new snap ring, use butyl tape underneath and a small bit on top (under the cap) to seal the rivet hole.

Since we'd like to leave in a few days and I don't have any snap rings, I'm hoping to get away with "Approach A" at least for this year, and to go back and address the problem "right" after this season. If you did this, would you just leave off the caps on the rivets you'd be just be replacing in 6 months?

Dumb? Okay? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Mark
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #2

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Oregon
I used caps and silicone

I have a 98 Scamp, same issue with the caps and some rings cracking off. I bought the rings and caps from Scamp, there are 2 sizes. I finally used clear silicon and pushed the caps on, no leaks from the snow and rain here in Oregon this winter. I don't have rivets, screws that hold the cabinets up and other framework. If you fine Floyd on this site he is a wealth of info. He has been very helpful on many issues.
Kathaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:43 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
On my Boler, I replaced my bag awning with another brand and the Bag was about 3 inches bigger top to bottom so I had to raise the Awning Rail and also because it was higher on the more flat part of the roof, had to by a 30 degree rail. Any way I used snap caps from Home Depot every 6 inches,along the 7 foot rail. After putting a small bead of Dicore Lap Seal on rail I also put a dab on the bottom of ring before riveting through the rail and Fiberglass.
No leaks but when waxing camper this past week I did hit a few caps and they fell off. I will put a dab of sealent of some sort and just use it to stick the caps on.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote