Snoozy foam core is wet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #1

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
Snoozy foam core is wet

I discovered water inside the walls of our Lil Snoozy.

We are converting the jackknife sofa to a foam-cushion sofa with removable plywood floor so we can more easily get to storage under the sofa area. As part of that process I was adding screws in the wooden strip that goes along the back of the sofa platform. I predrilled the holes with a 1/8" bit before installing the additional screws. When I drilled one of the holes through the fiberglass and into the foam core, water started dripping out. :-((

I drilled additional holes through the wooden strip and below it. A total of three of the holes dripped water. The first one dripped the most, saturating the wooden strip around it and a paper towel. The second hole dripped enough to saturate a paper towel and the third was only a little water. All the other holes are dry and the dust coming out of the holes was dry. On the attached photo the three numbered circles show the first three holes. All the other black dots on the wall are drill holes plus the ones in the wooden strip.

I have a plan and some questions. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

1. The source. I don't know where the water is coming from. It could be coming from the belt line joint where I believe the raw ends of the foam core fiberglass are covered with a trim piece, which is caulked on the top side only. It could also be coming from the window above the sofa area. I am pretty sure that Lil Snoozy did not seal the cut edges of the window opening with epoxy before installing the window. Any water getting into the foam core there would have to pass the belt line joint, which I think is unlikely.
Questions - Does anybody know if the raw joints under the trim piece of the belt line are sealed? Are the cut edges of the window opening sealed? What does the belt line joint look like under the trim piece?

2. Extent of water infiltration. I think the amount of water in the core is minimal and I have drained a lot of it out based on all the dry test holes. I plan to use a water detector to see if I can roughly map the extent of water in the core. After reading about the limitations of water detectors used by marine surveyors to check out used boats, I am under no illusions to its usefulness, but will try it anyway. I will also use the percussion method with a brass hammer.

3. The fix.
a. I will recaulk the trim piece covering the belt line joint. It was done the night before we picked up the trailer and there are places where it looks a little sparse, including right where I found the water.
Question - Does anybody know what kind of caulk Richard used in 2017?

b. If my water detecting shows only a limited area, I will leave the drain holes and test holes open and put water-detecting paper under them. I will check them periodically to see if I fixed the problem.

c. If the area seems larger, I will pull out the water tank and drill more test/drainage holes until I have the wet area mapped out. Then add paper and monitor as before.

d. I am tempted to pull out the window and see if there is water damage to the core. If so, I will seal the raw edge of the core with epoxy and reinstall the window using butyl tape.

I have seen no evidence of any water anywhere else in the trailer despite numerous screw holes that attach the cabinetry etc., but maybe the screws mostly seal the holes so no water drips out. I have drilled other holes into the foam from the inside and have seen no water.
Attached Thumbnails
Dripping holes 1 crop.jpg  
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I have never heard of this happening. The form core in ours seems to solid to have water soak into it. I wonder if the fiberglass and core layers are separated at that location ,letting the water get in. You may be right that it is leaking in from the belly band. I think the window would be unlikely as it would have the leak through the belly band area.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #3

North Carolina
Registry
Another thought. Is it possible that water was spilled or condensation got behind that wood strip and entered around those mounting screws.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #4

North Carolina
Registry
You could leave the holes uncovered and spray water on the belly band strip to test.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #5

North Carolina
Registry
Richard used silicon. Not a good idea. Nothing, not even more silicon will stick to it very well.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:39 PM   #6

MD
Registry
Charlie, the screws seem to seal the holes pretty tightly but that is worth thinking about. I don't see any evidence of water on the wood strip other than what wicked into it when I drilled into the core and the water came out. We have had only slight condensation on any of our trips.

I agree that a window leak would have to make it past the bonded seam between the trailer halves. I still would like to hear from someone who actually saw the seam before the trim strip was installed so I had a better idea of whether water could pass it.

I did take a small ball peen hammer to that whole area and there are a few isolated spots that seem to thud rather than crack. But there is no evidence of widespread delamination or water saturation. My water detector comes in a week.

We have had a heavy thunderstorm for the last hour with some driving rain. I went out to look at the weep holes and there doesn't seem to be any additional water. But I will check again later.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:12 AM   #7

North Carolina
Registry
I wonder if a little water could have got into the mold when the core was being installed. That would be the only possibility other than some separation or a tiny hole all the way through the hull. I believe you are taking the right course of action. If no more comes out you could pump in some thin epoxy or just ignore it. I would be interested to know what you find. I did see one hull as it was being assembled. The body turns 90 degrees to form a lip on the top and bottom. They glassed over the inside and notched the lip for the SS bolts that attach the cabinets. I didn’t see how they sealed the lip or if they simply attached the belly band with silicon.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #8

Name: Doug
Maryland
Where in relation to the window are the holes. I'm wondering if the window needs to be resealed. Just a thought.
dbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #9

North Carolina
Registry
Snoozy foam core is wet

I am not sure where the bolts are but they would only be where the cabinets rise above the belt line. I had two of the small windows in the bed area out when I installed the headliner. They seal against the body with a rubber gasket. There was no sealant. If the larger windows are the same and they seem to be, pulling a window should be simple. Just take out the screws around the inside frame and it can be pushed out.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #10

MD
Registry
Charlie, the way you describe the lip is how I thought they were built. Richard told me that the halves are glued together with a bond that will never come apart and the trim piece is only cosmetic. Unfortunately, the raw ends should have been sealed before the trim piece was installed. Reading foam core boat literature, it is clear that through-holes need to be sealed and bolts bedded.

I think the water drip in hole 3 increased after yesterday evening's deluge. We have another coming this afternoon so I will check again. UPDATE: Had a long, hard storm and new water is weeping from hole 3.

Doug, the water I found is under the rear (left in the picture) half of the window. I may have to remove and check the window as you suggest.

So, the two main suspects for water entry are from 1) water getting under the trim piece through bad caulk and entering the un-sealed ends of the lower hull at the joint, or 2) water getting into the core at the window and traveling down, then out the top hull and into the bottom hull at the joint.

I suspect that I will be pulling the trim piece off of the hull joint and looking for evidence of water.

Right now I am going to wait until I get the water detector. Plus, I may seal off the window with plastic and tape and see if water still comes in after the next big thunderstorm.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #11

North Carolina
Registry
I think your on the right track. Taping the window is a good idea. Hopefully if you have to pull the trim. You can get it off without damage.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:47 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Seal the window and test with a garden hose... make your own rainstorm!

I get water intrusion from my door, but no idea if there is water in my core like you are finding.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #13

MD
Registry
I got the moisture meter today. It indicates full wet for about a foot laterally under the #2 and #3 drain holes I drilled, basically directly under the last foot of the overlying window. The fender is in the way so I can't tell yet how far down the water goes. I will have to pull the wheel. Above the drain holes I drilled there is some water but fairly low on the moisture scale. Above the belt-line seam the meter reads full wet under the last 6 inches of the window.

So it looks like the water is coming in from the window. I will pull the window, seal the foam core of the window opening with epoxy, and re-install the window. I haven't decided whether or not to use the old gasket, try to find a new one, or use butyl tape.

I did a brief survey of the rest of the trailer and found two small areas of moisture under the other big windows. So far it looks like I won't have to pull the trim piece off of the belt line and seal the raw edges.

I used a Ryobi E49MM01 Pinless Digital Moisture Meter.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #14

North Carolina
Registry
I am glad you found it. Two observations; There must be some delamination of the glass /core for the water to enter. And the way the windows are constructed, you must have a leak around the gasket. Amazing that it is getting past the belt line.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Trailite
Wisconsin
Water Leak

Water often leaks in around the perimeter of the running lights. you could do a leak test with a garden hose to determine the source, thus minimizing the effort to repair. It would be better than using the shotgun approach.

David
David Prast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #16

MD
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Prast View Post
Water often leaks in around the perimeter of the running lights. you could do a leak test with a garden hose to determine the source, thus minimizing the effort to repair. It would be better than using the shotgun approach.

David
Hi David, the water is inside the foam core of the fiberglass sandwich, so you can't see it when its raining or using a hose. The Ryobi moisture meter has been great at pinpointing where water has accumulated. So far it looks like nothing beneath the running lights but that could change.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #17

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
A few thoughts.

Every penetration into or through the core should be fully potted with thickened epoxy. Make a solid block between the inner and outer skins, and then drill through or into this block.

Give the core time and help in drying. Seal the outside, drill some holes from the inside into the wet core area, and run a small dehumidifier inside the trailer until no more water comes out of the drain tube for a whole day. You can also run dry air into the core with a couple aquarium pumps to speed things up.

Possibly remove the window and tape 6 mil poly over the outside of the opening during the drying process.

Anything you can do to fully dry the core will help your repair be successful.

If silicone was used as a sealer, make sure it is all gone before trying to epoxy those areas.

Go to the WEST System website and read up on how to do this sort of repair - it is common in boats. There are two sections to look at, technical articles and "Epoxyworks" magazine.

We had serious core damage from UV in our ultralight trailer (yes, I'm an idiot), and a lot of the repair was effected by injecting thin resin with glass microballoons to act as wide-area core replacement. Between injecting filler and doing a little "shopvac infusion" we were able to save the rear hatch.

Best of luck getting it all sorted and happy!
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: Trailite
Wisconsin
I always start with the simple and move to the complex and finally the improbable when troubleshooting ANY problem. If it isn't the running lights, I would investigate the window gaskets. Identify the problem and then determine the solution. But I do concur with the previous post, you must dry it up before closing it up or you will not only have a water problem but a mold problem as well.

David
David Prast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #19

MD
Registry
Thanks Thomcat, that is really helpful. I already taped poly sheeting over the offending window to stop new water getting in and have been letting the holes drain. I need to pull a wheel and find out what the lowest level of water is and then figure out where best to drill the lowest drain hole.

I was wondering how to ventilate the core and was baffled. The aquarium pump idea is brilliant and I will do that. I also plan to pull the window and examine the core. After it dries I was planning to use the West System epoxy, so thanks for the confirmation. There are a ton of unbedded holes in the hull of the Snoozy and I can't do them all at once. But the moisture meter indicates that I probably ought to pull the two big windows on the other side too.

This is all an unwelcome item on my to-do list but it has my attention until completed.

Thanks to everyone for ideas and support.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:57 PM   #20

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I had leakage on my LilSnoozy that was coming from the belly band. I actually had some in the bedding area as well as under the window- and worse when I was hosing it to clean it hooboy!!. This was before LilSnoozy folded. I drove back up from FL to the St Matthews SC factory and the floor guy- not Richard- redid the whole belly band.