Snoozy owners ALERT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2018, 03:18 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Exclamation Snoozy owners ALERT

I had a weld break under my Lil Hauley, maybe a year ago. The cross member above the axle separated from the main beam on the driver's side. I had it welded up again at a local trailer shop. Here is a photo; you can see that they spray painted it afterward. (Note, I had my torsion axle replaced with a spring axle, so yours will look different in that regard.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1051.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	125263

A couple weeks ago the floor started making that bad clunking noise again when I walked on it. Sure enough, the opposite end (curb side) of that cross member had separated.

Name:	IMG_1050.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	125264

This week the cross member to the rear of the previous one also separated! This is the member that only goes to the curb side (I think the gray water tank might be mounted on the opposite side). I got under there and it looks to me like the welds did not penetrate properly. Not sure you can tell from the photo, but here it is anyway:

Name:	IMG_1049.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	125265

This was built in spring 2013 and I picked it up at the factory in SC in June. Snoozy owners of the same vintage, I encourage you to inspect your welds every so often and repair as needed.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
spring clearance

Mike,

One thing that might be causing stress on the welds is main frame rail torquing on corners. The original torsion axle was fastened to the frame, which would have provided a ridged interconnection between the two main rails, eliminating frame rail torquing. With the leaf spring configuration you currently have, I could see the frame rails trying to flex to the sides on corners. This may have contributed to the cross member weld failures. If this is the case you might want to weld in a cross member from one side to the other that is the height of the main frame rails, or at least add some gussets where the cross members connect to the frame rails. That would stop the frame rails from twisting.

It looks like you don't have a lot of clearance between the axle and the frame. Do they hit?
Old 10-06-2018, 07:49 PM   #3

Oklahoma
I'm no engineer, so I can't rule out anything you've said. And some of the streets around Tulsa (where I use the trailer for deliveries) are notoriously rough, with patches on the patches. Still, when I looked at the main rail behind where the cross member came away, I can't see any sign of metal removed or remaining from the weld. It looks to me like the welder didn't have his machine turned up high enough for the rail's thickness, or something. I had not noticed any sign of the axle striking, but then I wasn't looking specifically for it. Looking underneath just now, I see some light marks on the driver's side that could be from the shackle... no dents, but it may have come in contact at some time on that side.

Anyway, I'm not pointing fingers, just letting Snoozy owners know it could be worthwhile to inspect theirs.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:09 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good heads up Mike. Sure doesn't look like much of a weld.....
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Not an engineer, just my opinion. X2 what CarlD posted. The Tor-flex axle acts as a rigid lower frame cross member. A rigid lower cross member should be welded in to prevent the twisting of the lower frame rails. The twisting of the frame rails by the leaf springs has placed extra lateral forces on the frame causing the upper cross member weld failures.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #6

Oklahoma
I had a shop add a piece of square tube across the bottom while they were welding the breaks. Hopefully that will take care of things. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #7

Syracuse, NY
Mike
Did the welding shop have an opinion on the quality of the existing welds? and on the reason for the failures?
Carl
Old 10-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Nope, they just did the work without comment.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Carl, Mikes frame was made by a company that Lil Snoozy no longer uses, so yours will be different.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #10

Syracuse, NY
Thanks Dave.

I should be getting my trailer in a couple weeks.
Carl
Old 10-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #11

Oklahoma
Oh? That is interesting. What are the names of the frame companies involved, do you know? I have forgotten the name of the firm that built mine.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Oh? That is interesting. What are the names of the frame companies involved, do you know? I have forgotten the name of the firm that built mine.
Mike, you’ll have to speak with Richard about that, as I don’t remember the company off hand. I believe it took place when they switched from the torsion axles to leaf springs. The frame comes out close to the outer shell also.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:11 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
I apologize for not being real familiar with your trailer line. But I am familiar with trailer structural and suspensions. Normally one would see a steel "Sub-Frame" between the springs and the trailer main frame rails. This sub-frame is usually a rectangular (4 sided) frame that is attached to the main trailer frame rails. If the trailer frame is aluminum, then galvanic protection is suggested at the steel sub-frame/aluminum interface.

It appears that the Tor-Flex axle to leaf spring conversion did not address the structural issues that leaf springs bring to the trailer frame. As result you are breaking welds.
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote