So, let's say you're 5'11"... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

Name: William
Trailer: Currently shopping
Texas
So, let's say you're 5'11"...

...and the eggs you really like have a 5'10" interior height.

Do you redirect your search toward a model that provides several more inches of interior height than you actually need? Or do you go with your first choice and agree to simply bow your head in gratitude whenever you have to stand up?
ganchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: ganchan... You could buy one like our 5.0TA with 6'4" to 7'6" head room.
Simply bowing your head leaves a lot of room for "Humility".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030936.jpg   P1030670.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #3

Texas
Your egg looks really nice. I'll be traveling solo, and I've been mostly looking at used 13-footers, both for financial reasons and so I'll have a wider choice of tow vehicles (thinking seriously about a minivan to make up for lost cargo space). I should have mentioned that, sorry.

My ideal would be an Egg Camper, but I'm afraid even a used one will command a relatively high price. I do really like the Scamp and Casita Patriot...as long as I can remember to duck, LOL....
Old 01-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Depending on your camping style, and the size of FGRV you are looking for, many see limited headroom as a moot point because you are more often sitting down than standing when inside.

You can also try the "De-elevator" shoes seen on late night TV ads. When you put them on you are suddenly 2' shorter. Although originally designed for tall ladies longing to date "Right Size" guys like moi, there may be a style for guys as well, albeit without the red soles (LOLOL)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganchan View Post
...and the eggs you really like have a 5'10" interior height.

Do you redirect your search toward a model that provides several more inches of interior height than you actually need? Or do you go with your first choice and agree to simply bow your head in gratitude whenever you have to stand up?
Carole had a trailer she really liked it has a queen bed in end at only 5'7" she could stand in it but I can not stand in it at 6'. It would not take long being bent over to get too anyone; personally would get a taller trailer every time. The trailer was just under 1500 lbs and was a sweet looking number if only the trailer was a few inches taller it would have been great.
Lucky we found our boler it is just right.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
So, let's say you're 5'11"...

I don't have your problem, but I've heard a lot of people comment that you really don't stand up straight in a trailer very often, especially a smaller one.

That said, know that post-fire (2007+) Scamp 13'ers are are taller inside- 6'1" I believe. That's what I'd look for. I have a 2008 and I'd be happy to double-check the measurement if you'd like.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I am 5' 10" and have never worried about head room in my Scamp other than going in and out of the main door way.

There is an older thread that lists out the Inside Height By Trailer Brand/model and Year that you may find helpful.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #8

Texas
It's true, I sit down about 90 percent of the time when I'm indoors. And if I want to stand up straight, I can exit the RV. I should be getting out and exploring the local sights anyway....
Old 01-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #9

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I am 5'11. I have a flat top Boler so there's little head room. I agree with most saying you spend very little tim standing and it's not an issue.
While cooking my poor posture comes in handy . Do you always stand perfectly straight? Cooking one knee is bent and lean in a natural relaxed position. Still very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganchan View Post
Your egg looks really nice. I'll be traveling solo, and I've been mostly looking at used 13-footers, both for financial reasons and so I'll have a wider choice of tow vehicles (thinking seriously about a minivan to make up for lost cargo space). I should have mentioned that, sorry.

My ideal would be an Egg Camper, but I'm afraid even a used one will command a relatively high price. I do really like the Scamp and Casita Patriot...as long as I can remember to duck, LOL....
The Casita Patriot has an interior height of 5'10".
The Scamp 13 has an interior height of 6'3"
(Prefire was 6'0")
I'm 6'0" tall and have no problem (10years)with my prefire Scamp13,but then I very seldom stand stiffly for long periods of time as if I am being measured !
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #11

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
With a wife at that 5-11 mark it put us in a 1986 16' Scamp.
I am also moving the side bath to the front to get some headroom in the shower.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
With a wife at that 5-11 mark it put us in a 1986 16' Scamp.
I am also moving the side bath to the front to get some headroom in the shower.
Bathrooms are so small its not likely to many people will be standing up to shower regardless.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Bathrooms are so small its not likely to many people will be standing up to shower regardless.
I shower standing up in my prefire Scamp13, every night while camping, with plenty of room.
In fact, the bathroom on a new Scamp 13 is larger in all three dimensions than some of the bathrooms in some of the largest fiberglass trailers now available. The aforementioned new Escape 5.0 is one example.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
I go with the people who say that having to bow your head all the time gets to be real annoying. Headroom was near the top of the list when I was looking for mine. Yes, you can spend a lot of time outside but sooner or later the weather is going to be bad and you might have to stay inside for a couple days until it clears.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
We waited to find a trailer that fit us. Most eggs are too low for my 6'2" frame.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #16

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
For once, I'm glad I'm short !!
Old 01-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
I go with the people who say that having to bow your head all the time gets to be real annoying. Headroom was near the top of the list when I was looking for mine. Yes, you can spend a lot of time outside but sooner or later the weather is going to be bad and you might have to stay inside for a couple days until it clears.
Your Casita claims 6' 1-1/2".
You apparently thought it was adequate? I have been inside many Casita17s and found them comfortable as far as head clearance was concerned.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #18

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
My Egg Camper is 6'7". I'm 6'6" I love being able to stand up straight. I had a U Haul I fit ok but on the days where I was stuck inside not being able to stand up straight all day did get a bit old.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Your Casita claims 6' 1-1/2".
You apparently thought it was adequate? I have been inside many Casita17s and found them comfortable as far as head clearance was concerned.
Well, I'm 5'10" and don't wear hats so yeah, my Casita fits me fine. When I need to feel humility, I go through the door. I haven't seen too many trailers where I don't have to watch my head getting in and out.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:16 PM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
William,

We used a 5'10" Casita 16 for a year and I'm 6'1". Bending becomes sub conscious and was not a real issue. That said when it came to buying our own fiberglass trailer we bought a Scamp 16 (taller than the Casita 16) and considered the Casita 17.

As already stated there are a number of even taller choices.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote