*sobbing* It's raining.. it revealed leaks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2006, 10:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
Well, when we brought our old Scamp home, one of the first thing I examined closely was the floor, naturally- to see if there was any ruined from water spots. There weren't any, so I assumed we were "home free" in that regard, spite of the old water damage it showed on the rear wall....

The guy we bought it from had repaired window leaks. So I thought.

I'll bet that this camper had been kept in a shed by the first owner, then the guy we bought from did indeed garage it!!!!!! THANK goodness for that, too- cause the floor is just fine.

However, since it's raining I checked out the camper and discovered to my GREAT dismay, a bunch of leaks.

There is a wee leak in the roof fent. A leak around a side Aluminum jalously window. And the rear window gasket too.

I got hubby out there and he says, well, two of these will be fixed with caulking. And then he spoke some MIRACULOUS WORDS: "Well, maybe we ought to make an appointment with Scamp and go up there for the two new front and back windows. And maybe the newer roof vent with the fan, since you love to stay cool."

It is a miracle since he is a tightwad and I never ever ever thought he'd want to spend the $$$$ on such repairs. He generally tries to do everything himself.

So, I am HAPPY HAPPY to say the least about THAT. At least we can "get'r done" right.
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
The guy we bought it from had repaired window leaks. So I thought.

However, since it's raining I checked out the camper and discovered to my GREAT dismay, a bunch of leaks.
I guess he saw that one round of home-made repairs had already failed, and he recognized that a larger initial investment would be more cost effective in the long run.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:15 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If the windows have a frame to them, rather than caukling, I suggest that you remove the frame from the shell. Take some window seal (basically some rubber strips) and use this to seal between the camper wall and the frame of the window. The glass should seal against a rubber liner in the frame.

For the front/rear, I do/did have a problem with the front window. I did have it replaced by a window shop and they added a new seal. This held till this winter (couple of years). So what I did was tape the upper side of the window seal and the lower center point. We've had rain and drizzle for the past 2 days and more today. I visited the camper and found no leaks from the front window.

Here is a pic:

Good luck.
Mike jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:58 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 16 ft
On my tour of the Scamp factory last year when we picked up our 13ft'r, I noticed that all the windows were being caulked with silicone sealant which I thought was strange. The guy showing us around the factory mentioned that Scamp had lots of warranty work from leaking around the windows so they started sealing all windows in addition to the rubber seal. This fixed the problem for the most part. If your windows are decent shape perhaps new gaskets and a liberal dose of silicone sealant might work? Although the new style windows are much nicer. Mike's idea for a rain gutter above the windows is a good one, although you don't have to go the "Red Green" route using duct tape. They sell stickon flexible plastic rain-gutter in rolls at camping world. You install this above the window and extend it down either side a couple inches and all water will be diverted away from the window seal. I think it's called EZ-gutter. I use some on my Scamp and it worked great.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:54 AM   #5

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Hi, ya, Deb!
Is it cloudy and raining up there? Sheesh, we are still under a flood watch and the rain continues! I'll have to put some pontoons on the Lovebug pretty soon!

Sorry to hear about the leaks. I would try the solutions mentioned here, esp the gutter. I have the alum gutter over the top of my door and it really diverts the water.

You're doing really well, Deb! I can't wait to see the pictures! Or, go to www.freewebs.com for some free, very user friendly websites. You won't believe how easy it is to set one up for photo albums, blogging, adding links and so on!
I used this site for setting up www.studio_gigi.net and for the Lovebug, posted at the bottom of the page. Then, we could watch your progress every day!

Cheers! Keep it up, camping's around the corner!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
....snip....Mike's idea for a rain gutter above the windows is a good one, although you don't have to go the "Red Green" route using duct tape. They sell stickon flexible plastic rain-gutter in rolls at camping world. You install this above the window and extend it down either side a couple inches and all water will be diverted away from the window seal. I think it's called EZ-gutter. I use some on my Scamp and it worked great.
Yah, "Red Green" I had a on that. That's not a proposal for the fix. It was a test to find out where the water was coming from. It's up for sale and I wanted to let the next owner know that I had taken some steps to figure out the problem rather than pass it on.
Thanks for the info on the EZ-Gutter.
Mike jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:02 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 16 ft
Quote:
Yah, "Red Green" I had a on that. That's not a proposal for the fix. It was a test to find out where the water was coming from. It's up for sale and I wanted to let the next owner know that I had taken some steps to figure out the problem rather than pass it on.
Thanks for the info on the EZ-Gutter.
Sorry Mike, it did look like a real repair. Besides Red Green rules! I've used miles of duct tape on various projects. Great stuff duct tape. Actually we have one better at Boeing aircraft where I work. It's called thousand miles hour tape and man does that stuff hold. Red Green would give his 1st born for a roll of that. Below links to both EZ-gutter and also aluminum RV gutters.

http://tools.vpteam.net/node/473115_1.htm

http://www.rvgutters.com/
evan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, weatherproofing, window leaks