Software Maping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
The new (2006) version of MS&T is a great improvement over previous versions. I like the feature where the map moves and the present location icon (with GPS) stays in the center of the map. Also, the voice prompting as waypoints come into view.

I have no problem with the availablity of map informatiom because I preplan all our stops and if there is some doubt about open/closed, I call ahead using the information displayed for a waypoint. I have yet to schedule a stop at a campground that was closed. Even with below freezing temperature in Meridan, MS last October on the way back from Atlanta. I didn't call the KOA until we were in MS and they said 'come on down'.

The 2006 version also provides access to aerial photographs over the internet. You can actually find some campgrounds that show the campsite layouts before you arrive and perhaps pick a site before you check in.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #16

Here is a map of that trip!

atlanta_october_2005.pdf

Sorry about all the push pins. They are Love's Travel Stops, campgrounds, places my wife likes to visit. I used to plan all my fuel stops there when they still gave 2 cent a gallon discount for Good Sams members.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #17

Here is a virtual earth (aerial photograph) of Jones RV Park in Norcross, GA. I access this thru MS&T 2006.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jones_RV_Park_Virtual_Earth.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1542
Old 03-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Here is a map of that trip!
This looks like a nice way to show the route of a trip when telling us about it in [b]Camping, Campout Reports.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Has anyone tried Google's mapping? Check out http://maps.google.com. You can see map views, satellite images, or a combo of the two. It's a pretty sweet freebie that I like to use...
Both Google's Maps and the graphically cooler Earth are impressive free services. Although the satellite data behind them is highly variable (different resolutions and types in different areas), and road detail is not always current reality, I have found them at least somewhat useful everywhere I have tried them.

Both provide latitude and longitude for the currently selected point, so if you find a place in these systems you have the information to enter in your GPS as a destination. In Maps, hit the "Link to this page" link above the map (or copy it as a shortcut) and you get a URL (browser address line) which contains the latitude and longitude. For instance, what I get from map centred on West Edmonton Mall (just a convenient landmark for tourists) contains the following:
  • ?ll=53.522528,-113.62288
  • &spn=spn=0.009912,0.015986
Indeed 53.522528 degrees latitude and 113.62288 degrees west longitude is in the middle of the mall (according to Google Earth). The "spn" part of the URL is a zoom factor.

I typed the address for Jones RV Park (from CD Smith's map) into Google Earth and got the following photo, centred at 33.925 deg lat and 84.176 deg long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JonesRVpark.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1547

The equivalent Google Maps link works as well.

Note that both are on-line services, so this isn't a solution for use in the tow vehicle for most of us.

There is a GPS device data import option in some of the versions available for purchase.

By the way, if you use Earth on a Windows system and find problems with graphic performance, check if you are using the OpenGL option for Graphics Mode or DirectX (in Tools - Options) - although OpenGL is now the default I somehow had DirectX set (probably from using the beta version) and changing to OpenGL got me around a problem on one of my installations (where the DirectX is outdated, or mismatched to the graphics card, or something...).

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote