SOLAR BY RENOGY? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #1

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
SOLAR BY RENOGY?

Thinking about 100w rv starter kit,about $300.00. Comments/pros/cons!!! Thanks bbc ii
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have the 100 watt Renogy Solar suitcase.
Use it , like it , recommend it .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
That's way too high. In today's market, you can find a 100 watt panel for $99 shipped. A charge controller is around $30.
$1 a watt is what you should look for. That said I just spent $2 a watt because I was looking for certain size.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mighty-Max-1...Charger-for-RV

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mighty-Max-1...MAAOSwNRdX47u~
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
We had a 100watt Renogy panel on our 13' Scamp and it worked great (sold it with the trailer), then we had two 100 watt flexible Renogy panels on the nose of our Lil Snoozy for 2 years (never worked well) and we got a full refund from Renogy (they don't sell that style any more), so we purchased a 150 watt Renogy and mounted it flat to the roof of the Lil Snoozy using their mounting system for fiberglass (VHB tape holds the mounts on and the panels are screwed to the mounts), so far batteries are always topped off. We will be testing the system out at Quartzsite Az gathering this week, with 12 volt danfoss refrigerator, CPAP machine, water pump, XM radio, TV/DVD, laptop recharging as well as phones, and LED lighting. Wish us luck, and hope to see many friend there.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #5

Louisiana
Registry
I have bought many solar panels from different companies. I have not had a bit of trouble from any of them. You could make a case against one or another if they are not sealed right and moisture gets in. I think that would take years to find out. I just pulled my original Uhaul solar panel. It looked like crap. Moisture had gotten in over its 33 year life. It still put out
15.5v. All that to say, don't limit yourself to one company in your search.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #6

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I have their solar suitcase and it seems like a decent product. It has the same Adventurer controller as the system you asked about and I found it difficult to set the battery charging parameters. I don't know what sort of installation you are interested in but I couldn't see a good way to mount a 100W panel on a Casita and keep things tidy, though that is pretty subjective. Think through your entire installation, you will likely need more stuff than is included.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #7

Louisiana
Registry
Good points. I didn't consider that as I do my own work. I mounted my panel over the back window on some adjustable hinges from Knapp &Voight. It doubles as an awning.
Those suitcase sets with 50 ft. of cable would be a good easy alternative .
Old 02-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #8

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Renogy has a reputation for good customer service and they quickly answered a question I had prior to purchase. However, they've yet to respond to my inquiry about minor shipping damage. You take your chances....
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #9

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
That's way too high. In today's market, you can find a 100 watt panel for $99 shipped. A charge controller is around $30.
$1 a watt is what you should look for. That said I just spent $2 a watt because I was looking for certain size.

Mighty Max 100 Watts 100W Solar Panel 12V Poly Off Grid Battery Charger for RV | eBay

Mighty Max 12 Volt 30 Amp PWM solar charge controller with LCD display | eBay
Mike,
Not true....
You are comparing component prices to complete solution.
They have a panel with a stand, controller and cables, storage case, and I believe voltage and temp sensing. It costs money and time to do the packaging that some of us are not able to accomplish.
You are correct that panels are getting more affordable.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Mike,
Not true....
You are comparing component prices to complete solution....
Or he is comparing 100 watts to 100 watts.. and he is correct (give or take a few dollars).

Yes, you can get a standard (and cheaper) 100 watt panel, and an inexpensive controller.. then you only need to add a few wires and maybe clamps. But make it portable (two 50 watt panels), add a stand, etc. and the cost is higher. Either way gets you the equivalent amount of solar power.

But consider how unwieldy the standard 100 watt panel is (such as the Renogy RNG-100D at $138). Its 47 x 21 inches. I bought one but there is no easy way to transport it so I tend to just use a 50 watt panel instead and might sell the bigger one, then spend the extra money for the suitcase setup that I might actually use.

Of course I am talking about portable rigs.. if you are going to permanently mount a panel that's different. And I would use the suitcase with the controller I have in the trailer and not buy the suitcase with a controller.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #11

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Or he is comparing 100 watts to 100 watts.. and he is correct (give or take a few dollars).

Yes, you can get a standard (and cheaper) 100 watt panel, and an inexpensive controller.. then you only need to add a few wires and maybe clamps. But make it portable (two 50 watt panels), add a stand, etc. and the cost is higher. Either way gets you the equivalent amount of solar power.

But consider how unwieldy the standard 100 watt panel is (such as the Renogy RNG-100D at $138). Its 47 x 21 inches. I bought one but there is no easy way to transport it so I tend to just use a 50 watt panel instead and might sell the bigger one, then spend the extra money for the suitcase setup that I might actually use.

Of course I am talking about portable rigs.. if you are going to permanently mount a panel that's different. And I would use the suitcase with the controller I have in the trailer and not buy the suitcase with a controller.
I think I walked it back in post number seven.
I do prefer mounting my panels to the camper which makes my pricing different. Those suitcase set-ups look "ok" to me. If I needed more power (who doesnt!) I would probably go with a fold up or flexible panel. They are both light weight and lack of a frame make them easy to store.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The main issue with this folded model is the legs being less than robust shall we say. However at $209 it is considerably less expensive than most.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ps_bw_c_x_10_w

The whole debate over portable so one can park in the shade and always position the panel in best possible location vs. convenience of mounted to trailer, which allows for more and/or bigger panels than one can easily store comes down to 6 in one hand half dozen in the other hand. You takes your pick.

A third option of mounting panel on roof rack of tow vehicle intrigues me. It is portable since I can park car in the sun and well stored, if I leave camp I can't charge but then I won't come back and find my portable suitcase model sprouted legs and ran off either. Just plug in from panel to RV and put a big red rag on the steering wheel as a reminder so I don't drive off still connected.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
The whole debate over portable so one can park in the shade and always position the panel in best possible location vs. convenience of mounted to trailer, which allows for more and/or bigger panels than one can easily store comes down to 6 in one hand half dozen in the other hand. You takes your pick.
I would instead say that it depends on your style of camping, where you camp (forest vs. desert), and how much time you spend on the road vs. parked, and other factors. For me, I originally planned to do both but found that a portable panel on a 14 foot cable worked best. I have found little need for panel(s) on the roof. While YMMV, I think starting with a portable configuration and seeing how that works before going to the trouble and expense of permanently mounting them, is the best plan for most people.

BTW, I now own the 100 watt glass panel I mentioned before ($140), and a 50 watt "flexible" panel I got on eBay ($99). Cost per watt was much more for the 50 watt but that has been my go-to panel most of the time because it is so lightweight, smaller, easier to handle, etc. It would likely not hold up if mounted on the roof without an air space underneath, but for temporary uses it works for me as long as I don't need more power.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar