solar controller mounting for Boler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I can see the benefits to your idea. A comment and a potential downside:

1) I don't see why you would have to have the panel on your vehicle for the 360 days per year you are not camping - why not make it de-mountable?

2) If you tend to leave your campsite with the vehicle during the sunny part of the day, well, then your panel would not be charging your trailer battery during that time.

Not saying it's a bad idea; just thinking out loud.

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #16
Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia

OK, I finally got the solar system mounted last week and it worked really well. We went out for a short trip last weekend to a provincial park in Alberta, camping without shore power. We used propane for the fridge and furnace, and the 12V battery for electrical needs, including watching part of a movie at night (this was just to test out the new TV/DVD player, we didn't really want to watch a movie at that point).

As described in the previous posts, I mounted the 40 watt solar panel to the roof rack on my minivan, and ran the wiring down to the 7 pin trailer connector on the tow vehicle. I was able to hide the wires inside the rubber door seal on the rear door, for the most part, so you can't really see it there. I snugged the solar panel in between two of the roof rack crossbars at the back of the van, so you can't really see that something is mounted on the roof either at first glance, although it is obvious if you take a good look. I have figured out a way to lock the solar panel in place and still make it de-mountable, by attaching an L shaped bracket to each side of the solar panel that goes across the roof. These go under the roof rack crossbars, then drill a hole through the roof rack crossbar and the L bracket and use a padlock to lock it in place. Because of the lock, the roof rack crossbar cannot be moved to release the solar panel. I will post a picture when I actually get it done, hopefully this weekend.

I connected the +ve output from the solar panel to the battery charge terminal of the 7 pin trailer connector, and the -ve wire to the centre unused terminal. I don't have electric brakes, so the brake terminal on the trailer connector is still left blank.

On the trailer side, I ran wires from the same two terminals up to the battery using the same wiring harness as before, so it looks exactly the same. The charge controller is mounted(vertically) on the side of the battery box, where it just fits in. Having read the manual and knowing that the previous company that owned this thing mounted the controller with a battery in a marine buoy, I am confident that sparks are not a problem.

Also as previously described, I made a 15 foot or so extension cord using an outdoor extension cord and two more 7 pin trailer connectors, but with only the 2 solar panel wires connected up. That way I could plug in the solar panel when the minivan was at the camp site but not actually connected to the trailer.

Anyway, it all worked well. We had a stress free weekend knowing that the battery was constantly being charged, and I even ran the fridge on 12V for a couple of hours to boost the gas performance when the gas was not doing the job (that is the next thing to tackle, it seems that after I took the fridge out this past winter to work on the 12V, that the gas is no longer working well enough). I wasn't worried about running down the battery at night, because it started to charge again in the morning even before we woke up, and without me having to do anything . Awesome! I only had to remember to disconnect the wires before moving the car. This wasn't an issue since we didn't actually go anywhere once we were at the campsite.

I still have another trickle solar panel charger that I can use for maintenance if desired, but this system gives me peace of mind. Also, for those times when we can't use gas, such as on the ferry, I can run the 12V knowing that it will recharge fairly quickly. All in all, a highly satisfactory experience.

Rick G

Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote

boler, solar