Old 04-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #71

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Hello to both of you,
I just want to check with you if I shopped the perfect tape to secure my solar panel.

3M VHB RP25 (2 inches wide)

The Z Brackets of the panel to stick on the roof have as 1.50 inches by 4 inches area.
Gilles,
I used the same VHB RP25 tape, except mine was only 1" wide. I used a 1x1x36" aluminum angle piece cut into four 9" sections for each leg and bolted the Z brackets to them. (9 sq inches of surface area at each corner)
I had to bend the brackets a little from perpendicular due to the side to side curvature of the Scamp roof, and the front brackets were modified to also meet the increased front curvature of the Scamp roof. From the photos you can see that 1/3 of the front angle had the upper section cut away so I could bend the foot to the curve.
One lucky part of having the Scamp with the large fridge is that it includes an upper vent, so I was able to run my solar wiring down that vent without resorting to any new holes in the Scamp roof.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160410_180409.jpg   IMG_20160410_180419.jpg  

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:40 PM   #72

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Gilles,
I used the same VHB RP25 tape, except mine was only 1" wide. I used a 1x1x36" aluminum angle piece cut into four 9" sections for each leg and bolted the Z brackets to them. (9 sq inches of surface area at each corner)
I had to bend the brackets a little from perpendicular due to the side to side curvature of the Scamp roof, and the front brackets were modified to also meet the increased front curvature of the Scamp roof. From the photos you can see that 1/3 of the front angle had the upper section cut away so I could bend the foot to the curve.
One lucky part of having the Scamp with the large fridge is that it includes an upper vent, so I was able to run my solar wiring down that vent without resorting to any new holes in the Scamp roof.
Thank you very much for your testimony.
For my curiosity and that of other members who are interested about, what capacity your solar panel and your apreciation of it?
Thanks in advance,

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #73

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Thank you very much for your testimony.
For my curiosity and that of other members who are interested about, what capacity your solar panel and your appreciation of it?
Thanks in advance,
We have a 90 watt panel on the roof that fills our needs when we have sunlight, plus another 90 watt panel we can deploy up to 40 ft away if the sun isn't hitting our camper.
So far we have been happy with the results using our type 29 12 volt battery but hope to upgrade to two 6 volt golf cart batteries next battery change for double the capacity in case we run into dark rainy weather further North. Less sunlight up North in the winter months.

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar