Solid, slider, or crank style - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-05-2005, 10:14 PM   #15
Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi Myron, the two side windows in my 13' Boler are jalousie windows, (crank out), and there is no way on God`s green earth that I would change to slider because of what Donna mentioned about the rain......I had sliders on my house and could never leave them open if rain was have vent style windows and can take off for a weekend and leave them partially open without normal rains getting in...driving horizontal rain is something else.....The only maintenance that I think that you need on the louver windows is to get a couple $10 crank mechanisms and spend 15 minutes each changing them about every 30 years or so, if you don`t abuse them......I believe that sealing for leaks is about the same for a slider or a louver.....don`t skimp on the quality of the caulk...either butyl or urethane windshield adhesive......granted that the sliders look somewhat better but it`s in the eye of the beholder.......Benny

Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #16
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
I saw some very cool plastic vents over Janet Dotsons (Where is she, anyway) sliding windows on her casita 13.

They looked like the plastic rain vents you can get for car windows, only they were in multiples.

Let me see if I can find them. Google is your friend!

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:08 PM   #17
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Here they are. MAXXAIR makes them. I would imagine any rv store has them.

I thinks I will get em!

Louver Vents for sliding windoze
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:21 PM   #18
Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Well I'll be.........tie me to an ant hill and smear my chest with jam...........those are cool
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:32 PM   #19
Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
The MaxxAire window vents work great for the sliding windows. I rarely close mine except when using the heater. Even then one is left partially open. The MaxxAire vent cover on the roof is also great. "Nuestra Casita" has been through absolute deluges with open roof vent and windows and not a drop of rain was able to find it's way inside. The only complaint I have is there is not a size for a Casita bathroom window. The other windows all have the window vents.The advantage to sliding windows is being able to close them so wind (and dust) can't come inside. Louvered windows historically leak wind. I've had many mobile home customers who had an intense dislike for them. They leaked air in the summer when air conditioning and in the winter when attempting to heat.
Either way, it appears as if you loves 'em or you hates 'em. At least you've got two choices when "skinnin' the cat".
For my money, controlled ventilation is necessary. Contending with heat build-up and inadequate air flow is not my idea of enjoyable camping.
Kurt & Ann K.

Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote