Solid, slider, or crank style - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2005, 11:33 AM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I am in the middle of making a decision on my front windows and need some feedback to help me out.

My front window over the tongue is large, is a slider, and has plastic lights and a nice screen. After doing what I thought was a first rate job of recaulking, it still leaked. I see gaps between the panes and wonder about the rubber/plastic molding securing the lights in the track, so my suspicion is the leak was not caused by my caulk fit, but by the window design itself.

If I go for a complete replacement it's no laughing matter, because of the cost. So first, I would much appreciate your opinions on the need for a solid window there, versus one that ventillates. I have no experience with camping in a trailer therefore no opinion of my own.

Obviously, a solid window is a smart choice since there's no moving parts to leak and its the least expensive and most available style. However, it surprised me when I saw that early Bolers had solid front windows, though, since I thought all egg windows could open for ventillation.

...If I go solid, is that a serious regression in convenience, or not? I keep thinking how nice it will be to sit at the front beside an open window. But, is that small amenity worth the huge investment required?
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Gosh I'd love to have an opening front window...but the Scamp's window curves, hence the need for one piece plexiglass.

Instead of just recaulking Myron, did you take the window out and reseal with butyl tape...the professionals choice for RV windows???

I would do everything possible to keep the original windows...perhaps a glass shop can reseal the glass IN the frame...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Myron,

I think you have it right.

1. Solid for 'a for sure' no leak situation (assuming it is built and installed properly).

2. Slider for air circulation, chance a leak like the original window.

3. Crank style, no go. It is old technology and has many built in problems.

One advantage of a full unbroken piece of Plexiglas is the view is wide open with no distractions from the window. I would think that by positioning your egg in a manner in which the breeze and get into the back or side windows would solve and circulation problems.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:43 PM   #4

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
If I were replacing a front window and had an unlimited budget - I'd go with a slider that doubled as an egress window (assuming the rest of your windows are sliders - I'd want them to match). If the panes are glass however - that would require ALSO fitting a cover on the front to fend off stray rocks.

If money were tighter and I still wanted to replace the original window - I'd go for a solid sheet of lexan mounted to the space.

If money were REALLY tight - I'd pull the existing window out - rebuild it and remount it.

Kinda depends on where it's leaking though. For my PlayPac - I did the pull/rebuild/remount thing and the darn thing STILL leaked - it was just a miserable design which had no choice but to leak (when you're driving 60 through a midwest downpour anyway). I eventually just caulked up the whole thing so it no longer was openable - but didn't leak. If I hadn't been planning on selling, I'd have replaced with a solid sheet of lexan. Getting proper windows of just the right dimensions pretty much means buying them new which is a very pricy way to go. Might be worth a short trip to an RV boneyard though. They usually have tons of windows laying about. Might take all day to find the perfect one - might come up dry too.

Key I'd say is determining exactly where and how it's leaking before making any decisions.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:50 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
With a Burro, I think you would regret not having windows that open.

In the heat, just opening all windows and roof vent drops the inside temp by about 20 degrees, even WITH an insulated one.

I have the slider leak. When I know I am going to be driving thru rain, I tape off the seam where windows meet with blue painters tape. That seems to do the trick.

Easy on, easy off, no residue.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:39 PM   #6

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
I have the slider leak. When I know I am going to be driving thru rain, I tape off the seam where windows meet with blue painters tape. That seems to do the trick.
I wonder how hard it would be to rig some sort of awning-type window cover? Depending on how it was attached, it might also take care of the leak issue. Plus you get the advantages of the shaded window when parked.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #7

The ONLY leak I've ever had through a window was the Scamp's one piece solid plexiglass window!! It was in an absolute pouring rain storm and I was driving on the freeway at about 50 mph. My bed, which is in the front got soaked. Okay, so the window didn't leak, the rubber gasket did. Scamp doesn't sell a "one piece" molded rubber gasket. It's one loooooong piece with another piece that locks and spreads the molding. At anyrate, where the molding was glued together at the bottom, started to separate to about 1/8". I filled it in with windshield glue/gasket goop and it hasn't leaked since. I've also purchased new gasket material from Scamp and will replace gaskets in the front and back windows this coming Spring.

Moral of the story.....even one piece windows will leak
Old 12-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #8

I have a rock guard on my Burro. When driving and in the down position, it keeps the pounding rain and wind to a very minimal amount on the window. This could be of help to you.

Driving wind can push water around just about any seal if it is strong enough.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:
I have a rock guard on my Burro. When driving and in the down position, it keeps the pounding rain and wind to a very minimal amount on the window. This could be of help to you.

Driving wind can push water around just about any seal it is strong enough.
The very reason I ordered a front gravel guard when I ordered the new gasket material. And got an added bonus...Scamp wrapped the gravel guard in brand new rat fur....enough to recover the inside of the door which it needs badly due to the bottom sticking out a bit and getting road rash all over it.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:45 PM   #10

New Mexico
Registry
Hmm...if my leak is not the seal, but the slider, then the issue could be resolved with a rock guard and with tape. Sounds very cost-effective. That would certainly beat replacing the unit. I just got another (obscene) estimate, from Duncan Systems, a distributor of Kinro windows. Nice folks, though.

I must make a rock guard. Money is tight, but more to the point, I hate spending it when there's a simpler, more frugal solution. I would happily root around at an RV graveyard, if I knew of one here in the NYC metro area.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:48 PM   #11

New Mexico
Registry
Of course this doesn't address my original question, which was which is the better style of front window (and why.) Is there no one out there with an emotional tie to one style window or the other?

I mean like... "Shucks, we were ice fishing up in Churchill and I could stick my pole out the sliding front window and the polar bears still couldn't get me!"
Old 12-05-2005, 06:49 PM   #12

Scamp sells an inexpensive rock guard, $59. In fact they sell a lot of goodies that could be used on other trailers. If the name Scamp is not on it, it may work for a Burro? Check out their parts and supplies.

http://www.scamptrailers.com/index.cfm?PageID=36
Old 12-05-2005, 06:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft
I was just wondering the same question as Myron the other day. I was curious if i remove the front window carfully tape off a piece of plexy and fiberglass it rite into place where the old glass window came out?
I was thinking if it were possable that it would be vertualy leak proof.... No calking. No rivets. No aluminum sweating in the cold. and mutch mutch lighter than glass in an aluminum frame.

I think the downside would be plexy does scratch. It still can break and thers no opening it.

I just dont know any more
Ronny W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #14

Okay, I'll answer your question Myron. I would give anything to be able to open the front window on my Scamp...but can't and there's no window made to fit the curve. I plan to replace the back flat plexiglass window with a real glass window that opens. Scamp sells (and installs) the back window and I want it. AND, I would prefer jalousey (sp) windows (the kind with small panes that crank out) over the sliders (which I have). When it rains, I must close my slider windows and I understand the other type you can leave open, even if just a bit.

Okay, that's my 2 1/2 cents.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi Myron, the two side windows in my 13' Boler are jalousie windows, (crank out), and there is no way on God`s green earth that I would change to slider because of what Donna mentioned about the rain......I had sliders on my house and could never leave them open if rain was expected....now have vent style windows and can take off for a weekend and leave them partially open without normal rains getting in...driving horizontal rain is something else.....The only maintenance that I think that you need on the louver windows is to get a couple $10 crank mechanisms and spend 15 minutes each changing them about every 30 years or so, if you don`t abuse them......I believe that sealing for leaks is about the same for a slider or a louver.....don`t skimp on the quality of the caulk...either butyl or urethane windshield adhesive......granted that the sliders look somewhat better but it`s in the eye of the beholder.......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:05 PM   #16

Registry
I saw some very cool plastic vents over Janet Dotsons (Where is she, anyway) sliding windows on her casita 13.

They looked like the plastic rain vents you can get for car windows, only they were in multiples.

Let me see if I can find them. Google is your friend!
Old 12-06-2005, 10:08 PM   #17

Registry
Here they are. MAXXAIR makes them. I would imagine any rv store has them.

I thinks I will get em!

Louver Vents for sliding windoze
Old 12-06-2005, 10:21 PM   #18

Well I'll be.........tie me to an ant hill and smear my chest with jam...........those are cool
Old 12-15-2005, 12:32 AM   #19

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
The MaxxAire window vents work great for the sliding windows. I rarely close mine except when using the heater. Even then one is left partially open. The MaxxAire vent cover on the roof is also great. "Nuestra Casita" has been through absolute deluges with open roof vent and windows and not a drop of rain was able to find it's way inside. The only complaint I have is there is not a size for a Casita bathroom window. The other windows all have the window vents.The advantage to sliding windows is being able to close them so wind (and dust) can't come inside. Louvered windows historically leak wind. I've had many mobile home customers who had an intense dislike for them. They leaked air in the summer when air conditioning and in the winter when attempting to heat.
Either way, it appears as if you loves 'em or you hates 'em. At least you've got two choices when "skinnin' the cat".
For my money, controlled ventilation is necessary. Contending with heat build-up and inadequate air flow is not my idea of enjoyable camping.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote