Solution for 13' Scamp lights/heater not working - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 1995 Scamp
Wy & Az
Solution for 13' Scamp lights/heater not working

I posted about my lights and heater not working having something to do with an inverter I had added. I took everyones suggestion and unhooked one of the wires to the inverter. Still no power coming from the battery. Traced the wires into the Scamp. Looked under the sink and those are for 120Voltage. Looked under the couch and after pulling back some carpet from the wall of the compartment closest to the door (which i had missed earlier) i found wires and a fuse. Changed the 30v fuse and tada, the lights came on. I found wires under the other compartment but they had no fuse.
So what you can take from this is that on 1995 13' Scamps, the wires come into both of the compartments under the couch. The fuse inside the trailer is in the compartment closest to the door. Always check the fuse on the battery outside.

pegski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Well done,

Well done, you are a problem solver!

AC0GV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Sounds like the inverter overloaded the circuit.. what is your plan now? Dump the inverter? Remember that a blown fuse usually indicates a wiring / electrical problem that needs to be solved.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #4

Name: Peg
Trailer: 1995 Scamp
Wy & Az
I’m thinking I may just get an external power box of some sort. I only use it to charge my phone and iPad so I may not mess with an inverter. I can’t imagine trying to figure out the problem of the wiring by myself and it gets really expensive at RV dealers
pegski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:19 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Suggest you look into 12V charging options and install a simple 12V outlet.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:44 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Suggest you look into 12V charging options and install a simple 12V outlet.
yes.. phone or Ipad charger with "cigarette style" plug.. just like you would use in the car. Thats the way to go.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Massachusetts
Good going Peg.
Thanks for posting your results.

Jack
Lockman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:02 PM   #8

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegski View Post
I posted about my lights and heater not working having something to do with an inverter I had added. I took everyones suggestion and unhooked one of the wires to the inverter. Still no power coming from the battery. Traced the wires into the Scamp. Looked under the sink and those are for 120Voltage. Looked under the couch and after pulling back some carpet from the wall of the compartment closest to the door (which i had missed earlier) i found wires and a fuse. Changed the 30v fuse and tada, the lights came on. I found wires under the other compartment but they had no fuse.
So what you can take from this is that on 1995 13' Scamps, the wires come into both of the compartments under the couch. The fuse inside the trailer is in the compartment closest to the door. Always check the fuse on the battery outside.

Wires and a fuse hidden under carpet on the wall? Thirty Amp (Not v[olt]) fuse blown? Sounds like bad design and seriously overloaded circuit. I'd check all the wiring in that trailer to make sure it's safe.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #9

Name: Jack
Massachusetts
Yes Wil.
Peg might have gotten her volts and amps mixed up but you have to give her credit for trouble shooting the problem and discovering the cause of the power loss.
The wires were not hidden under the carpet on the wall. They were more than likely in the storage area (aka seating area) and ran close to the area where the floor meets the wall and the fur installer was a bit generous on the wall covering there.

As for the cause for the 30amp fuse blown it looks like her inverter was the culprit, something that she will be correcting. Anyway, that's the way I see it.

Jack

Lockman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, scamp