Some more advice...... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
Some more advice......

First, I want to thank everyone here for the helpful advice and information at this friendly place...what did we do before the internet?

Since I'm a newbie and have never dealt with sewer connections at campgrounds and have been looking on e-camper.com only to think that I need a boat load of additional hoses, fittings, extensions, supports and whatnot. What do I really need?

Are the 10' sewer/gray water hoses provided with my new Scamp enough?
Do I need the "el" fitting at the sewer?
Do I need a "y" so that the gray and black water converge into the sewer?
Do I need those little "slinky" feet under the hose?
Should I buy a converter, large gray water to garden hose size?
How far is the sewer inlet usually from the trailer?
Do I need weights
-----And-----What are those little pink pigs?
And lastly, what have I forgot?

Thanks, George
George Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
George, you'll get everything you NEED to dump, except rubber gloves. The sewer support (stinky feet) and sewer pig are items you don't NEED. I have a support, but camped for two years without it. It keeps the hose out of the rocks and dirt and that may prevent punctures.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
So many questions as we search for our dream home, and then.......
millions more questions. lol.

In the "good ol' days" when we just dug a hole, grabbed some trees leaves, and ..... lol.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Nagel View Post
First, I want to thank everyone here for the helpful advice and information at this friendly place...what did we do before the internet?

Since I'm a newbie and have never dealt with sewer connections at campgrounds and have been looking on e-camper.com only to think that I need a boat load of additional hoses, fittings, extensions, supports and whatnot. What do I really need?

Are the 10' sewer/gray water hoses provided with my new Scamp enough?
Do I need a "y" so that the gray and black water converge into the sewer?
Do I need those little "slinky" feet under the hose?
Should I buy a converter, large gray water to garden hose size?
How far is the sewer inlet usually from the trailer?
Do I need weights
-----And-----What are those little pink pigs?
And lastly, what have I forgot?

Thanks, George
your 10' hose from Scamp will do the trick in most situations. I carry an additional 10' but have only *had* to use it once in 5 years. Could have probable got away with not using it and just dumping the tank on leaving the campground.

No "Y" connection needed - dump the black tank first then disconnect the hose and connect it to the grey water tank for dumping. The grey water rinses out the gunk from the hose from the blank tank.

No feet, weights or pig are normally needed either. Although the pig is kind of cute

"Should I buy a converter....." Are you referring to the holding tank cap with the garden hose connection on it? If you plan to camp at spots without hook ups these are handy to have as they make it a bit easier to drain off your grey tank to a portable tote as needed.

Sorry have no idea what an EL fitting is.

Two items that you may want to add that you may put to good use are a 90 degree bayonet fitting and a rubber sewer donut/seal. Have been to a few spots in the last couple of years that required the rubber donut - couldnt use the plastic cover that came with my 90 degree bayonet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #5

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
I've been wondering about something. A while back Norm showed a mod where the vent for the black tank was modified so it could twist sideways, allowing a direct rinse of the black tank with an outside hose. Very clever and useful. So here's my question: when draining the black tank, can a short hose be run between the hose opening in the gray tank cover right in to the black vent to help rinse the black tank? Would there be enough water pressure coming out of a relatively full gray tank to make the uphill flow work okay? I can't test this myself yet because my new gray tank valtera cover with the hose opening hasn't arrived yet.

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #6

Registry
Maybe if the grey water tank was really full but I have to ask why you would want to do that? Honest the little blank tanks are pretty small and not that hard to keep clean. I have a toilet brush with a long wire handle that can be bent as needed for the rare occasion that it needs some help but more often than not a good filling with water and a flush out does the trick. If traveling a bag of ice dumped into it works even better than the brush if for some reason it doesnt flush clean.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #7

Texas
Carol, I would probably rarely do that, but I'm thinking maybe a situation would arise where rinsing the black tank seemed urgent, no fresh water around, but plenty of gray water just sitting there, doing nothing. LOL
Old 04-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I can tell you from personal experience when I spent the night at Gila Bend, Arizona in Maricopa county home of the famous Sheriff Joe. He sends a deputy around each evening and checks to make sure that all of the sewer hoses are off the ground and up on supports. Dont ask me why but its a sure thing. Beautiful campsite looking into the mountains. I got there on New Years eve and was invited to a pot luck cookout, fireworks and sing along even though I had just gotten there. Thats what sets campers apart.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #9

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
I got there on New Years eve and was invited to a pot luck cookout, fireworks and sing along even though I had just gotten there. Thats what sets campers apart.
You're so right Mike. That's a nice story.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
Carol, I would probably rarely do that, but I'm thinking maybe a situation would arise where rinsing the black tank seemed urgent, no fresh water around, but plenty of gray water just sitting there, doing nothing. LOL
Well I guess my moto is the less stuff on the trailer to go wrong the better. ;-) In the situation you describe it might be easier to just drain off some grey water to a tote and pour it down the toilet.

Mike thanks for sharing that. I haven't ever run across that - only the rubber donut requirement. Wonder if its because he wanted to be sure none of them are leaking? Would be easier to see if they are up? or was he wanting to protect the grass? Personally dont put my slinky out and leave it out - only take it out once the tanks are full or I am getting ready to leave.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I am guessing the "el" and the 90 degree bayonet fitting are the same thing here. I took this as meaning elbow.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Nagel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Sorry have no idea what an EL fitting is.

Two items that you may want to add that you may put to good use are a 90 degree bayonet fitting and a rubber sewer donut/seal. Have been to a few spots in the last couple of years that required the rubber donut - couldnt use the plastic cover that came with my 90 degree bayonet.
An "el" (not "EL") is an elbow... like the 90-degree fitting you linked, Carol, or one installed directly onto the hose (instead of using a removable bayonet connection to a separate fitting on the hose end.. This is generally not needed to empty into a dump site, but usually is needed to leave the hose in place at the campsite, is generally helpful, and is needed if you need to use a seal.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sharon,

I have never implemented that mod to my black tank though I think it's clever. I simply dump the black tank, close the valve, fill the toilet with water if hooked up and dump it again.

If I'.m concerned about the black tank I put a couple gallons in the tank when leaving a campground and dump the black tank after a 100 miles of driving.

If I'm really concerned about cleanliness I may dump ice down the toilet before driving 100 miles and than dump at the next stop before setting up.

I have a Sewer Solution as well that is capable of squirting a high pressure jet of water into the black tank or grey tank. I usually use this when I get home to dump and give the tanks a cleaning.

The major tank that needs cleaning is the grey tank. Food particles collect in the bottom and since the grey tank is a low flow tank, it really never drains the particles when you dump. The water jet does the job. (I've never had any trouble with the black tank clogging, it really dumps in a woosh (sp).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #14

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
One thing I had heard was that it would be better not to have the black tank free flowing into a sewer drain when you are parked. Anyone had experience with this? Pros & cons?
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #15

Texas
thanks for sharing how you do it, Norm. Sounds like a good plan all around.

S.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
One thing I had heard was that it would be better not to have the black tank free flowing into a sewer drain when you are parked. Anyone had experience with this? Pros & cons?
Absolutely true Lora, keep the valve closed until you want to dump. You want ALL the liquid to push the solids out in one gush. Otherwise, paper, etc. gets stuck in the drain hose. EEEWWW
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You let the black and grey tanks fill up and then dump the black followed by the grey. If you leave the black free flowing, all the liquid will drain from the tank, leaving solids behind because they haven't had time to dissolve in the liquid. TP in the tank is likely to stick to the sides without liquid.
By dumping the grey after the black, you will rinse the hose to some degree.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote