Spare Tire Holder on a 16' UHaul Vacationer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2007, 11:32 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We just purchased a 16' UHaul Vacationer and would like to have a spare tire in an easily accessible place. Where do you store it? Is there a setup that would hook to the back bumper rather than mounting it on the back wall of the trailer? Could it be stored under the back of the trailer like under our van? (I posted this on the UHaul site and no one has replied in over a week.)
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
Quote:
We just purchased a 16' UHaul Vacationer and would like to have a spare tire in an easily accessible place. Where do you store it? Is there a setup that would hook to the back bumper rather than mounting it on the back wall of the trailer? Could it be stored under the back of the trailer like under our van? (I posted this on the UHaul site and no one has replied in over a week.)
Kevin there are all types of bumper mount carriers for the spare. JC Whitney carries several. The link below should take you to one that bolts on with square U-bolts and has a lock pin that allows you to pivot the tire down so you don't have to actually lift it up onto the mount.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...0001517/c-10101

Good luck,
Rob
Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Kevin there are all types of bumper mount carriers for the spare. JC Whitney carries several. The link below should take you to one that bolts on with square U-bolts and has a lock pin that allows you to pivot the tire down so you don't have to actually lift it up onto the mount.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...0001517/c-10101

Good luck,
Rob
Thanks for the suggestion. The problem I may have is that the UHaul trailer has a larger back bumper than 4 to 4.5 inches as required by the Whitney carriers. I'll look around for similar carriers that may fit bigger bumpers.

Kevin
Old 03-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Kevin:
Our 2000 Burro 17' has what I think is a very satisfactory setup, one that is not even on the (1999?) model shown on their eternal website: A 2"x4" piece of box steel (actual dimensions) has been welded to the rear edge of the bumper, sticking up 24" from the bumper. The spare wheel is then mounted to it. You can hardly see the vertical piece with the tire on it.

It seems very satisfactory to me because it is an extremely sturdy, bulletproof construction. It avoids entirely mounting anything to the fiberglass, which to me is an invitation to leakage and failure. I can take a picture of it if you like so you can see if it could be applied to your trailer.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If the bumper is not too tall, but is too deep (front to back) the ACAR carrier would just need longer U-bolts. If you can't finder longer at a hardware store, a spring shop might have them, or you could bend your own from threaded rod. Just a thought...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
the bolt thru the body arrangement was one of the places that seemed well secured on my 13.

Never had a leak there, and it was 27 years old when I parted with it.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #7

Quote:
the bolt thru the body arrangement was one of the places that seemed well secured on my 13.

Never had a leak there, and it was 27 years old when I parted with it.
Here are the pictures showing the back bumper. It is quite tall, but about the same width as on our Burro. I think the suggestion to weld on a holder is probably best. Does it have to be braced or does the weld along the box steel do it all? I would worry about it swaying while traveling.

Name:   c0f9_0.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  2.8 KB

Sorry! I don't know how to get these pictures to include the "Click to Enlarge" option. Any help?
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #8

Quote:
...Sorry! I don't know how to get these pictures to include the "Click to Enlarge" option. Any help?
If the photo is small enough (as measured in pixels) the forum software just shows the whole picture. If the photo is larger, it shows only a "thumbnail", with the full photo a click away. Kevin, you photos are just small (96 by 72 pixels); if you have them in higher resolution (bigger files), choose those and they'll appear they way you want.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:27 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Here's some larger pictures. Thanks for the info on posting, Brian.

CindyL (Kevin's wife)
Attached Thumbnails
back_of_trailer.JPG   license.JPG  

side_wth_door_open.JPG  
Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 AM   #10

Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
I see what you are talking about. Since your bumper is a formed steel bumper as opposed to a boxed bumper, I would go ahead with the JC Whitney type and drill holes right through the bumper and instead of the U-bolts use Stainless bolts with large washers.

Another possibility is this one which will handle up to a 5" bumper. If that is not enough you could buy some Galv. angle iron and make custom fit ones and then bolt the carrier to the angle iron using short bolts and locking nuts.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/1083.htm

Anything is possible. If you saerch the treads there are a few that have bolted the tire to the frame under the propane and battery on the tounge but you'll just need to make sure you tug can handle the weight.
Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #11

I like Rob's idea of bolting directly through the bumper.

The alternate mount from Northern tool looks well-constructed, but my concerns would be with how far back this holds the tire, and with ground clearance. This type is normally used with small tires mounted on the side of a tongue, and if used on the rear bumper might be a problem in places where overhanging stuff can drag, such as some driveways. Maybe it would be fine... I guess actual dimensions would be required.

Tags
u-haul, uhaul