spare tire issue / where to mount ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
spare tire issue / where to mount ?

Okay i recently posted a thread asking about my trailer vs tongue weight...and got a few answers.....where do most of you carry your spare ?....
it was sort of implied that inside the tow vehicle was a good option....however i carry other stuff .(ie a dog)

my trailer weighed in at 1260 & tongue was 260 for a total of 1520 (loaded ready for a trip)...that is with the spare on the tongue
I thought that ratio was out of line at 17%

my tow vehicle is a 2004 jeep wrangler 6cyl 5 spd ,,,,which handles the weighed and stopping without any issues( and is well within towing capiacity per jeep manual)...

I'm trying to get the spare out from under the bed (my trailer is a 13 ft perris pacer)

does the 17% ratio seem like a good ratio .......i'm looking to relocate it somewhere or is back to the tongue the best idea....any suggestions / ideas etc
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
To cut down on "lost room" in the pickup, I welded up a vertical spare tire mount which is completely removable and keeps the spare neatly on the side. I still have full unencumbered use and access to the truck bed, as well as a handily available spare if I need it quickly. When I'm done, I just take it out and store it in the garage. Not sure how it would work out in your wrangler, but it's just one more idea. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
Spare_bracket1.jpg   Spare_bracket2.jpg  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
To cut down on "lost room" in the pickup, I welded up a vertical spare tire mount which is completely removable and keeps the spare neatly on the side.
Wow, what an elegant, over-engineered and over built contraption. Looks like something I would build!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
My spare is now mounted on the tongue. Works out well as I can see it until I'm almost close enough to hook up the trailer so it helps me get hitched up as well as being readily available if I need to use it.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote