Spare Tire Rim - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
I went to buy a spare rim and tire for our 1976 13' Boler and found that the new 13" rims are all 4 lug nut holes instead of the 5 that our Boler has. Does anyone know what 'older' car would have a 5-hole 13" rim to fit the Boler? I will probably have to go to a junk dealer to find a suitable rim if I knew what kind of car the rim was off of.

A second question: Has anyone purchased an 'off-the-shelf' spare tire mount for the back of the trailer or had one specifically made? I think I may be able to design something a welder can make for me but if someone already out there has done it will save me some time.

Thanks.

Don

Old 08-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #2

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
I went to buy a spare rim and tire for our 1976 13' Boler and found that the new 13" rims are all 4 lug nut holes instead of the 5 that our Boler has. Does anyone know what 'older' car would have a 5-hole 13" rim to fit the Boler? I will probably have to go to a junk dealer to find a suitable rim if I knew what kind of car the rim was off of.

A second question: Has anyone purchased an 'off-the-shelf' spare tire mount for the back of the trailer or had one specifically made? I think I may be able to design something a welder can make for me but if someone already out there has done it will save me some time.

Thanks.

Don
Should be 4 on 4" That equates to Vega, Chevette, and others. 4 on 100mm also fits, but most wheels you find in that pattern, VW Jetta, Rabbit, Honda, etc, are front wheel drive and have too much backset. Also, you should be able to find white spokes at Wally World and Les Schwab. Hope this helps. Larry

Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #3

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Should be 4 on 4" That equates to Vega, Chevette, and others. 4 on 100mm also fits, but most wheels you find in that pattern, VW Jetta, Rabbit, Honda, etc, are front wheel drive and have too much backset. Also, you should be able to find white spokes at Wally World and Les Schwab. Hope this helps. Larry
Whoops disregard my last post, I (in my feeble old age) thought you were chasing 4 on 4 wheels. Hmmm all you can find is 14' wheels? Then measure the tire height of your 13" tire and go to your local friendly tire store and tell them you want a 14" tire of the same height as your 13" tires. Use that for the spare..... Larry
Old 08-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #4

Trailer: Burro
Quote:

Thanks.

Don

I was at Lowes the other day and found a tire mount that kinda sandwich bolts onto the back bumper and holds the tire up a bit. Its what im gonna use on my Burro.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
I went to buy a spare rim and tire for our 1976 13' Boler and found that the new 13" rims are all 4 lug nut holes instead of the 5 that our Boler has. Does anyone know what 'older' car would have a 5-hole 13" rim to fit the Boler? I will probably have to go to a junk dealer to find a suitable rim if I knew what kind of car the rim was off of...
Someone else was asking about this problem, and I was a little surprised to find that the "trailer" wheels available at WalMart (the universal source of reasonably priced stuff) are only in 12" and smaller sizes. Fortunately, the businesses which specialize in trailer parts all have the required wheels
  • 5-on-4.5" bolt pattern
  • zero to 1/2" offset
  • large centre hole to clear the hub - at least 2-5/8" for my 3500 lb Dexter/Standen's axle (precise fit not required)
  • 13" diameter
  • reasonable width (maybe 4" to 5"?)
I think it will be a lot easier to find this as a trailer wheel than as a car wheel. Although many cars and some trucks still use 5-on-4.5" (or 5-on-114 mm), they have too much offset and 13" sizes have long been rare in this bolt pattern.

New trailer wheels won't cost much more than rusty old car wheels from a wrecker.

Example: Princess Auto part #2020019, page 350 in the catalog, for $38.99 (Canadian)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:52 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
First of all, the four hole wheels aren't new, just different. The five-hole wheels are rated to carry more weight.

Second, likely you do not want automotive wheels because they are likely to be hub-centered and the trailer hub is likely designed to be lug-centered. That makes a difference in centering the wheel and also may make a difference in the proper cone angle on the lug nuts themselves (Many hub-centered wheels use a zero or flat angle because the hub does the centering).

As Brian said, if you can't find the right wheels at a bigbox store, then order them from a tire store.

To answer your question, however, likely your rims are 5 on 4.5" which is a popular size for Ford and Chrysler products, so if you want an emergency rim, that would be what to look for.