Spideweb cracks in the ceiling - through the fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #1

Name: T and K
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia
Spiderweb cracks in the ceiling - through the fiberglass

Wanted to get a couple different opinions on how I should best tackle this. From the inside I can see the spiderweb cracks and upon closer inspection it looks like it's not just the gel coat that is cracked but the fiberglass as well because there is moisture coming in through them and in some areas mold.

Hoping an interior fix would work - don't want to have to strip the exterior to fix it that way.

This is all on the ceiling of a 1975 Ventura. posting this on my phone, I will try to add pictures but if it doesn't work I will add pictures later from my computer

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1440884265058.jpg   1440884301873.jpg  

1440884327901.jpg  
OnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Looks to me like it was struck on the outside by a heavy object. If I owned it, I would get rid of the mold on the inside and do a repair on the outside. A really simple temporary patch on the outside could be as Easy as some really strong tape. Then when I had the time I would sand the outside and apply some gel coat.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #3

Name: T and K
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia
We were planning on doing the gel coat on the outside this month anyway so it doesn't create a huge amount more work for us.

Scrubbed the inside with bleach and a stiff bristle brush yesterday, still looks about the same but a lot of the black is in the layers of fiberglass - only some of it looks like it actually came through.

Might hit it with bleach again, and then I think I am going to roll on a few coats of glassing epoxy on the inside just to seal all that crap in... if I can't get to all the potential mold in the fiberglass layers to remove it I'm just going to encase it!
OnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote