ST 205/75/14 tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #1

Name: I.
Trailer: Trillium
Quebec
ST 205/75/14 tires

Hi,
Would it be a good idea to put ST 205/75/14 tires on a Trilium?
If not what would? And what kind?
Thanks
Lou
x2uol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2uol View Post
Hi,
Would it be a good idea to put ST 205/75/14 tires on a Trilium?
If not what would? And what kind?
Thanks
Lou
Hi X2, that may end up being a loaded question. Tires have been discussed many times and never a final answer. STs are made for trailers as you know but many people run radials also and have good results. I've used both and really don't have a preference as both have served me well. I currently have Hurcules STs on the Casita with no problems. As you give a sizing question, are you looking to increase your tire size ? As long as you have the room for them it's fine. The larger tire will run a bit cooler at speed.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Do you have 14" wheels in the Trillium now? I think wheel well clearance when you hit bumps is the big consideration. Put on any size you have room for.

LT tires often have lower load capacities than ST tires of the same size, but for your Trillium the LTs should have enough. They would have higher speed rating, which is good if you desire to drive faster than 65 mph.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Lou, I will be using ST215/75R15 on my '76 Trillium. Lots of room for the tires.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Hi X2, that may end up being a loaded question. Tires have been discussed many times and never a final answer. STs are made for trailers as you know but many people run radials also and have good results. I've used both and really don't have a preference as both have served me well. I currently have Hurcules STs on the Casita with no problems. As you give a sizing question, are you looking to increase your tire size ? As long as you have the room for them it's fine. The larger tire will run a bit cooler at speed.
ST 205/75r14 the "r" is for radial tires we can purchase ST tires in radial now so no need to purchase tires not meant for the job to get radial tires.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #6

Ontario
Registry
We have the equivalent size tire to the original;
original was not radial and only "b" rated. We upgraded to ST trailer radials with a "c" rating to match the trailer axle capacity and used the recommended tire pressure in closet door by boler trailer manufacturer about 32lbs. Tire over or under inflated is not as safe.

P.S. Some areas impose a speed limit on towing trailers so please learn the rules for the areas you will be towing in.

Quebec maybe different than Ontario or Florida for example. We like to meet the highest standard just to be safe no tickets wanted.
You are unlikely to be checked unless you go through a spot check "rare" or are in an accident. We called the MTO to check our area and read the rules on line, Quebec will also have something like this available.

Hope this helps and have fun; we may go camping for New Years it is a lot of fun snow and all. They are calling for double digit negative temperatures so have dug out the generator just in case we need extra heat or have a furnace problem.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Borden, what I meant by me using radials was in car tires on trailers. They worked fine with no problems. Here in California we have a 55 mph towing limit and we all stay within that .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #8

Ontario
Registry
Just checked it does say trailer tires on the door sheet size is "B75x14 b" The Tire shop said the replacements "st205/75r14 b" would be the modern equivalent. We now have St205/75r14 c rated radial tires they can handle more weight but not needed. Radial was an option you can still purchase non radial trailer tires if wanted the price is only marginally lower though.

There is no ST on the door for original tires on our 78 boler, sorry just as slip as it does say trailer tires and b rating. There is no law that I know of on Lt vs car vs trailer tires or bias ply vs radial for towing so we each have to find our own way and play safe.

Just feel personally that the specialty tires in radials are a good idea or they would not make them.

P.S. in Ontario the MTO does give car tires a 10% reduction on load limit when on a trailer so it is good to keep this in mind while making a tire selection so as to meet the total load limit needed.
LT, RV and car tires are different than ST tires I do trust company's like Goodyear tire

The sicker inside our boler trailer says 30/32 psi 30 empty and 32 loaded but also says more maybe needed for heavier loads and to adjust as needed.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Was told the B75X14 b was likely F75X14 b; the sticker is faded. Also reading it again trailer tires maybe just referring to tires on my trailer? Still think that Specialty tires are a good idea as they are made for the job. That Said it does recommend loaded 32psi for towing and extra for heavy loads, and says b rated but this also may not mean the same in the past was told.

Glad we purchased 3 new St205/75r14 c rated Goodyear trailer tires as they ride well. These radial trailer tires ride great.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #10

Ontario
Registry
Winter wonder land

Well more snow, glad we have a generator as a backup while camping in winter.
Really could use ST205/75r14 snows to be invented and they said it was going to be a dusting at only 1cm per hour the weather man got it wrong again, welcome to Canada.

Tags
tires