Stabilizers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #1

Name: Sandy
Trailer: 1984 13ft. Scamp
California
Stabilizers

I need to have some kind of stabilizers installed on my 13ft. Scamp. Not sure what my choices are but I don't like crawling around in the dirt trying to fit the jacks under the bumper etc. There must be another way. I'm open to suggestions
Sandy
Old 11-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra V. Smith View Post
I need to have some kind of stabilizers installed on my 13ft. Scamp. Not sure what my choices are but I don't like crawling around in the dirt trying to fit the jacks under the bumper etc. There must be another way. I'm open to suggestions
Sandy
I love my Bal stabilizers...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0007.JPG   DSCF0008.JPG  

DSCF0011.JPG   DSCF0004.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Sandy
Before I installed the BAL stabilizers I had the stock "kickstands".Having the same issues with them as you do, I simply welded flat steel handles on them which extended up behind the bumper and allowed me to deploy them from above the bumper by just pushing the handles outward.

In another application I bought square nesting size sign post material and made stabilizers for all four corners of my LoveBug.Simple and very easy to deploy. Here are some pics...
( you may have to click a couple of times to get a good close-up)
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_1.jpg   06_30_2.jpg  

06_30_3.jpg  
Old 11-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #4

California
That looks wonderful. Where can I have them installed?
Is that a "hand-crank?" Is there such a thing as pushing a button?
P.S. I'm not really a wimp!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Sandy
Typically Scamp comes with drop down stabilizers. They are bolted to the rear bumper, swing down, extend to the ground.
To me they're easier to use than the crank down kind. Check with Scamp, I'm sure they have them for sale.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Not as elegant but they work............

Name:   image-886889286.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  35.5 KB

Walmart or any junk yard. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
etrailer.com has the drop down stabilizers. I have them on the rear, and use shortened screw type on the front. I use one of those flat garden knee pads so I'm not kneeling in the dirt.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
You can add a motor option to the BAL stabilizers, but then you're talking $$$.
Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Sandy, what is easy to use, and something we do at times, is use a small 12V impact driver with an extension and a 3/4" socket on it. Lickety split they go, though really, hand cranking is not too bad either.

I have this kit, but only take the impact driver. I got my kit reconditioned, and it had a real handy flashlight in it too.

I added a small 1/4" ratchet to this Impact Accessory Kit, for maintenance use. I have eliminated a bunch of big wrenches from my repair kit. It has all that is need to adapt to the stabilizers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Charlie Y
You can also bring an electric drill (either cordless or corded if you are on sites with 120V) and a socket with you and use that instead of the crank.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Charlie Y
Wowser! Three of us posting pretty much the same thing all at the same time...

Probably cheaper to use a cordless driver (not an impact driver I would think) and a socket. I don't bother, though and just use the crank that comes with it. I usually crank it about halfway down, toss a plastic "lego" pad down, poke it into position with the crank end and roll (crank) the stabilizer the rest of the way down. It only takes about 30 seconds each. I'm not trying to lift the trailer so I wouldn't need a big honkin' driver if I went that route.

One of my better mods for me. I hated those drop down stabilzers that came with the Casita.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
The BALs are great. If you add the stabilizer arms, it has been my experience that trailer "shake" is further reduced.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
The BALs are great. If you add the stabilizer arms, it has been my experience that trailer "shake" is further reduced.
They make arms for the ones similar to the style pictured in post #6 and they need them.
The ones I have pictured in post #2 have their own frame crossmember and are nearly as stable as a house foundation.
With a 2000# capacity on each foot, I use them to jack the trailer up for service or for storage, rock stable even for repacking wheel bearings,checking brakes etc.
Of course the Scamp 13 is no challenge for them.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #14

California
Stabilizers

Thanks so much. I will probably go with the BAL but first I better crawl under and be sure I don't already have something there, never thought to do that. I am definitely not mechanical
Old 11-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Not as elegant but they work............

Attachment 66596

Walmart or any junk yard. Raz
This is what we use, four of them but NOT mounted to the frame (so you can better place them where needed, even as a jack to help fix a flat tire or wheel bearing). Also we have had the nut cut off the ends and had welded on 3/4" nuts. Use an appropriate corded (or cordless) drill (impact or otherwise, our impact is smaller, more compact but with equal torque) with an attached 3/4" socket to raise n lower the junk yard (we opt'd for Honda jacks) at a whopping cost or $10 for all four. Helps preserve them if you splash them with a little (matching??) color.

Consider too doing something similar with your trailer tongue jack.
Done once and you never have to do it again....

If you go with a cordless tool you can ALSO pack other cordless attachments with you when you go.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Here's what I use. They came with the Scamp, It's what Scamp sells and puts on their trailers. That's good enough for me. No crank, no cordless drill, Just drop down with the trailer front a bit low. Jack the front the trailer after the stabilizers are down. DONE.

Other way simply drop the front of the trailer down, retract the stabilizers and swing them up behind the bumper. DONE.

I think there's a potential problem with scissors jacks, you have to be careful that you don't twist the frame, easy to do with as force and you apply.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:48 AM   #17

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
We have BAL stabilizers on our Scamp 5er and use a cordless drill to raise and lower them. Our Scamp came with swing-down or "kickstand" stabilizers like these, but they weren't quite long enough for our "lifted" trailer. The BAL screw stabilizers work very well.

We're using swing-down stabilizers on out Surfside because they are much lighter and we are trying to be very weight-conscious during our re-fit. Some people hate 'em . . . I'm fine with them.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Here's what I use. They came with the Scamp, It's what Scamp sells and puts on their trailers. That's good enough for me. No crank, no cordless drill, Just drop down with the trailer front a bit low. Jack the front the trailer after the stabilizers are down. DONE.

Other way simply drop the front of the trailer down, retract the stabilizers and swing them up behind the bumper. DONE.

I think there's a potential problem with scissors jacks, you have to be careful that you don't twist the frame, easy to do with as force and you apply.
I had once read a thread on this forum that stated the STABILIZER Jacks are just there to keep the trailer from bouncing around while you are inside, and that if deployed to support the weight of the vehicle, could end up bending and eventually breaking the frame due to the leverage forces applied from the extreme ends of the frame (tongue jack to bumper). The closer to the axle one supports the weight of the trailer to level, or change tires, etc., the easier it is on the frame. I installed auto jacks and use my cordless electric drill to deploy them as others in this post have done, AFTER I had to have the frame cracks repaired. I also use the small jack stands on the front of the frame where the tongue and trailer body meet.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01349.jpg   DSC01350.jpg  

DSC01353.jpg   DSC01354.jpg  

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote