Stabilizers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Not as elegant but they work............

Attachment 66596

Walmart or any junk yard. Raz
This is what we use, four of them but NOT mounted to the frame (so you can better place them where needed, even as a jack to help fix a flat tire or wheel bearing). Also we have had the nut cut off the ends and had welded on 3/4" nuts. Use an appropriate corded (or cordless) drill (impact or otherwise, our impact is smaller, more compact but with equal torque) with an attached 3/4" socket to raise n lower the junk yard (we opt'd for Honda jacks) at a whopping cost or $10 for all four. Helps preserve them if you splash them with a little (matching??) color.

Consider too doing something similar with your trailer tongue jack.
Done once and you never have to do it again....

If you go with a cordless tool you can ALSO pack other cordless attachments with you when you go.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Here's what I use. They came with the Scamp, It's what Scamp sells and puts on their trailers. That's good enough for me. No crank, no cordless drill, Just drop down with the trailer front a bit low. Jack the front the trailer after the stabilizers are down. DONE.

Other way simply drop the front of the trailer down, retract the stabilizers and swing them up behind the bumper. DONE.

I think there's a potential problem with scissors jacks, you have to be careful that you don't twist the frame, easy to do with as force and you apply.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:48 AM   #17

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
We have BAL stabilizers on our Scamp 5er and use a cordless drill to raise and lower them. Our Scamp came with swing-down or "kickstand" stabilizers like these, but they weren't quite long enough for our "lifted" trailer. The BAL screw stabilizers work very well.

We're using swing-down stabilizers on out Surfside because they are much lighter and we are trying to be very weight-conscious during our re-fit. Some people hate 'em . . . I'm fine with them.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #18

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Here's what I use. They came with the Scamp, It's what Scamp sells and puts on their trailers. That's good enough for me. No crank, no cordless drill, Just drop down with the trailer front a bit low. Jack the front the trailer after the stabilizers are down. DONE.

Other way simply drop the front of the trailer down, retract the stabilizers and swing them up behind the bumper. DONE.

I think there's a potential problem with scissors jacks, you have to be careful that you don't twist the frame, easy to do with as force and you apply.
I had once read a thread on this forum that stated the STABILIZER Jacks are just there to keep the trailer from bouncing around while you are inside, and that if deployed to support the weight of the vehicle, could end up bending and eventually breaking the frame due to the leverage forces applied from the extreme ends of the frame (tongue jack to bumper). The closer to the axle one supports the weight of the trailer to level, or change tires, etc., the easier it is on the frame. I installed auto jacks and use my cordless electric drill to deploy them as others in this post have done, AFTER I had to have the frame cracks repaired. I also use the small jack stands on the front of the frame where the tongue and trailer body meet.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01349.jpg   DSC01350.jpg  

DSC01353.jpg   DSC01354.jpg