Stablizing/Leveling Trailer While Camping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Ok, but here's my question: does everyone use the tongue jack to level front to back or do you add stabilizer jacks to the front? And if you add them, how to get them under with the rear jacks set? Maybe you're using scissor jacks? New camped before and have our new-to-us Scamp set up in the side yard at home and it seems wiggly on the tongue and the tongue jack doesn't seem all that stable, like leaning to some degree and makes me nervous enough to want to replace the side jack with a center mount jack. Little help for the noob here?
I don't use stabilizers of any kind on the front. One of possible, note I said possible, results of using stabilizers on the front is twisting the frame, which could do permanent damage to the frame.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #16

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I don't use stabilizers of any kind on the front. One of possible, note I said possible, results of using stabilizers on the front is twisting the frame, which could do permanent damage to the frame.
Hadn't considered that issue...whew! Glad I asked...but that from tongue jack is really wobbly. What can/should be done to take the stress off the tongue jack?

Old 11-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #17

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Huh?
All Escape trailers come with front and rear stabilizers. They are stabilizers, not jacks, so you would not ever be applying enough pressure to bend a frame. If you did, it's the stabilizer that would give out first.
I deploy all four stabilizers, after leveling the trailer side to side and then front to back, using the tongue jack.
Pic shows front stabilizer.
Attached Thumbnails
toad deep bay 3.jpg  
Old 11-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Stablizing/Leveling Trailer While Camping

If your tongue jack is wobbly, and especially if you have one of the side mount fold-away tongue jacks, I think front stabilizers are a great idea. As long as you use two, one on each side of the tongue, no danger of twisting the frame.

Procedure is:
1. Level side-to-side with blocks and chock the wheels.
2. Unhitch and pull the vehicle forward.
3. Level front to back with the tongue jack.
4. Drop the front several turns, deploy the rear stabilizers, then raise the front back to level.
5. (Optional) Place front stabilizers under the A-frame near the cabin, then lower the tongue to transfer weight to the stabilizers. Leave the tongue jack down.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #19

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Jon, you are right about side mounted fold-a-way tongue jack. Very wobbly and insecure. I believe I will look into some stabilizers for the front. I like the idea of scissor jacks. I already have jack stands for working on a car but they only allow set adjustments between one inch increments. Do you think that these could be pressed into service or should we just get the scissor jacks?
Old 11-24-2015, 07:34 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Florida
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44560-Ol...+trailer+jacks

I use one of these under each front corner, tightened just enough to provide support after I have leveled the trailer using the rear stabilizers and tounge jack. It firms up the trailer nicely.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #21

British Columbia
That will work. The idea is not to jack the trailer up. It is to provide support at the corners.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I like Steve's idea best. Better adjustment than a jack stand and lighter, too. Scissors jacks are slow to adjust and clumsy unless you mount them permanently. Glenn is correct- don't use stabilizers to lift the trailer. Raising one corner at a time can tweak the frame. Do all the lifting with the tongue jack. Stabilizers are just to take the wobble out.

BTW- always use the rear stabilizers when you unhitch. Without them, one person too many sits down in the rear dinette, and whoop-de-doo... tongue up, bumper down...
Old 11-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #23

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Hadn't considered that issue...whew! Glad I asked...but that from tongue jack is really wobbly. What can/should be done to take the stress off the tongue jack?
You need not fret about stress on the tongue jack, or frame. Unless you weigh a lot more that the "average" person. It is designed for that.
You can add stabilizer jacks at the front corners of the body, or just use a screw type scissor jack, from a your car, under the frame rail near the camper door so it doesn't rock when you are getting in or out.
I replaced the Factory "kick stands" at the rear with BAL single leg screw jacks, and also added a pair at the front - which we only deploy if we are setting up camp for more that one or two days.
To put on the BAL's I had to add steel cross members to support them. They are all bolted on so no welding was required.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #24

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
The Wanderers,

You mentioned in three messages that the jack is wobbly, insecure, leaning, etc. I would take a good look at that jack before I bothered with the stabilizers. The jack is not supposed to be anything like that, if it is, there is something structurally wrong with it. It could break when hitching up or unhitching the trailer and land on your feet.

The immediate problem is with the jack, not the stabilizers.

Jim
Old 11-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #25

British Columbia
Agree. Check that jack.
I am often too lazy to deploy the stabilizers ( front or back ) if only staying overnight ( or if it's raining ).
Old 11-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Jon, you are right about side mounted fold-a-way tongue jack. Very wobbly and insecure. I believe I will look into some stabilizers for the front. I like the idea of scissor jacks. I already have jack stands for working on a car but they only allow set adjustments between one inch increments. Do you think that these could be pressed into service or should we just get the scissor jacks?
Neither one.

The jack stands can't be adjusted properly and the scissors jack is only stable in one plane, front to back or side to side.

RV Stabilizers, a four cornered pyramid, with an adjustable screw in the center are readily available at Wal-Mart, Auto Supply Stores and all RV parts sources. You can buy them in sets of 2 or 4.

https://jet.com/product/detail/2d5f3...FQ2HaQodJ-gF1A
Old 11-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #27

British Columbia
Issue with those jack stands is the space they take.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #28

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I have a folding step platform that we put outside the door when stopped. When travelling the step is upside down on the floor and the stands are stored inside. "0" space used for storage.
Step Stool/Working Platform
(we shortened the legs about 50%)

The question was about using auto jack-stands vs scissor jacks, both use space and both are a bad idea.