Stain removal-not sure what it is - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 03:42 PM   #1

Name: Michele
Trailer: T@B
Arizona
Stain removal-not sure what it is

Hi - I'm new to this forum and am hoping someone can help. I had a cover on my trailer for several months and when I took it off, I saw a brownish stain on it. The only thing I can think of is the cover was rubbing. I first tried water (nothing) then a tiny bit of alcohol (didn't work). Is it possible it's embedded into the exterior? Should I try lacquer thinner or auto rubbing compound? Anything else? Sorry - the photo got turned when I attached it. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1998.jpg  
mickietucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I afraid it is not a stain, but scrapped by the cover gelcoat... The color of the "stain" is very close to fiberglass color.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #3

Arizona
Well if it is the fiberglass color, wouldn't that then entail having it repainted? Yikes. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #4

Arizona
I had purchased the cover used and was fine for the first time I put it on (was on many months). When I took it off this time, the inside of the cover had a similar color to it - wonder if when it rained, the inside material rubbed off onto the exterior - just throwing thoughts out there. I'll try a few more things but if it doesn't come out I'll have to deal with getting professional help! Appreciate your fast replies.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't have a cover for my Escape, but did discover this stain. Only thing I could think of is that maybe the neighbour sprayed moss killer or some such on his lawn. I didn't have enough evidence to even ask him though.
Son-in-law used his Porter Cable polisher and some fairly aggressive polishing compound to remove it. He felt it wasn't all gone, but we left it at that.
Attached Thumbnails
Stains.jpg   Stain removed.jpg  

Stain product.jpg  
Old 10-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A T@b is not a molded fiberglass trailer so you may not find an answer here. I just did a quick search and found the exterior is some kind of laminated material. I would try cleaning a small area with the liquid version of Barkeepers Friend, which works good on our fiberglass trailers. Try it on a small area, be careful, don't rub hard or long until you see what it does. There are a couple T@b forum groups where you may find some other ideas.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I had a T@da, the T@b's big brother. The exterior is alum fiber, thin fiberglass exterior. That stain should just wax off as the exterior is impervious to liquid unless it is cracked which can allow liquid to penetrate and then you have issues.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #8

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
FEAR NOT oh stained one! Try first things first. You did water, soap, alcohol, etc... Now try a little spray of CARB cleaner and wipe it off immediately. If that does not work try a bit of car wax with polish in it. If that does not work get some 1000 grit and 2000 grit sand paper and do it with 1000 first and finish with 2000 then wax. IT WILL COME OFF!
Old 10-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #9

Arizona
Lots of suggestions-thanks

Want to thank all who replied to my "stain" issue. I had posted this on the t@b forum - one person suggested an auto compounding polish - but wanted to try this forum as well. I'll give it another go --- thanks again!
Old 10-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #10

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I would not recommend using carb cleaner on any kind of paint but I would try some Tilex on a small portion of the stain. Just spray some on a piece of paper towel and rub it on a spot and leave it. I use it on my grab handle by the door as it gets moldy after awhile and it cleans it up like new. I just wipe it on and let it doe its work.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #11

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
Ontario
Go to a boating store and ask for FSR. (short for fibreglass stain remover) It works great for removing stains on boat gel coat.
Phil 4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #12

Arizona
I had read about this stuff. May try that next. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #13

Arizona
Update on outcome (as of today)

Want to again thank everyone. I tried several different things and the one that has (so far) shown a difference is Barkeeper's Friend. It's a lot less noticeable. I may not have enough strength to rub the area hard enough (and do not own an electric polisher). May try the last suggestion of FSR next time I go to the storage place.