Static electricity - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
It's thought that it was the metal in the alumunum paint on the outside skin that caused the static discharge the brought down the Hindenburg.
BTW: If you do manage to actually "solder" a wire to the frame, besure to insulate it with Orange Marmalade or non-chunky peanut butter.(LOLOLOL)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #16
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Even the air rushing out of a pressured air can and across a printed circuit board may cause a static charge and RUIN your electronics, that is why the technician grounds (Oh, There is that dirty word again) everything and himself B 4 doing so.

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #17
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm interested in knowing WHY it's happening rather than just a fix. Robert is this on your personal trailer or a Egg Plant rebuild? I only ask because if it's an Egg Plant trailer you may need to talk about the "out-of-the-box" things you've done. Maybe one of those fancy things you did is causing the problem...
Donna, I noticed last year while in Death Valley and later in Arizona that I was getting a fair bit of static happening inside my trailer -got a few zaps... something I had not had happen on the wet coast before. Robert didnt indicate just how much static was happening which made me wonder if maybe it was a location issue and perhaps the type of fabric or wall covering put in the trailer....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
You will always get more static problems in low humidity conditions. It's the nature of the beast.
If a grounding strap is the easy fix, why worry, be happy, dance....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote