Static electricity - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Static electricity

Has anyone experienced a build-up of static electricity inside their trailer, evident only after towing, and NOT when hooked up?

If so, any advice on how to eliminate/mitigate it?
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I'm told that this can be a symptom of a VERY serious and possibly life-threatening condition that only very few of us are qualified to deal with- so for your safety - immediately turn your title and etc over to me so I can.....
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We used to connect "Anti static straps" to the car frame and left them drag on the ground. These were common in the 50's-60's to keep from getting zapped when sliding across a nylon seat cover and grabbing the door handle. Might help with a trailer. Try an auto supply store.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Static Electricity

I just read an article on the earth's electric field. If you measure the difference in voltage from your feet to your head it amounts to about 250 volts, increasing to an eventual 300,000 volts as you reach the top of the atomosphere.

Some suggest the fact that we no longer walk about barefoot, that we are typically insulated from the ground, may have an effect on our health.

Recently I watched 'Pretty Woman' on TV, in the movie Richard Gere walked through a park barefoot with a smile on his face. Was it thoughts of Julia Roberts or the good feeling of having your feet grounded?

So much to know.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I have never seen the problem with a Fiberglass trailer but I guess it could happen. I worked on A-7 aircraft and their fiberglass radome would build up a charge during flight. As soon as the aircraft came into the chocks and the engine was shut down the crew chief attached a grounding wire to a ground point on the ramp. The other end of the wire was attached to a 3 ft. long insulated stick and and he would rub it all over the radome to discharge the the static charge. The charge could arc over several inches. As a RADAR tech. we never trusted the crew chief we always made sure the radome was discharged before we touched it.
The F-16's I later worked on had metal discharge buttons molded into the fiberglass radome and the wings and stabalizers has static dischargers to get rid of static charges. We really did not have a problem with that A/C.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well,,, static strips will help,,,if you don't have them,, in an emergency,,, first pour a bucket of water on the ground next to the trailer tongue.
then while standing bare foot in said puddle,,, lick the bare metal of the hitch,,,caution,,this should not be done in temperatures below 18 degreesf.

and don't ask me how i know that.....
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It is caused by the air rushing over the camper. Same thing happens on aircraft. Aircraft have static disapaters hanging off the trailing edges of the wings and a wire rope (Small stiff cable) on the landing gear that touches the ground on initial contact to discharge the built up static.

As it will be impossible to find those rubber static straps that were around in the 50/60s I suggest you simply attach a small cable to the frame and let it drag on the ground.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #8

Not impossible.... Google "Vehicle Anti-Static Straps" and you will find several. Here is just one of them:
Antistatic Car Ground Strap
Good Luck, hope this fixes your zapper

Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
actually,,,most of the static i get in my camper comes from the wife,,,,but i will deny saying that to the death, which if she see's this post,,will be sooner then i thought....
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm interested in knowing WHY it's happening rather than just a fix. Robert is this on your personal trailer or a Egg Plant rebuild? I only ask because if it's an Egg Plant trailer you may need to talk about the "out-of-the-box" things you've done. Maybe one of those fancy things you did is causing the problem...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #11

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
I'm interested in knowing WHY it's happening rather than just a fix. Robert is this on your personal trailer or a Egg Plant rebuild? I only ask because if it's an Egg Plant trailer you may need to talk about the "out-of-the-box" things you've done. Maybe one of those fancy things you did is causing the problem...
Google "rolling static". It explains all.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Gary, that still doesn't answer my question. I've never read here on FiberglassRV, or any of the other forums, where this is a problem. So, WHY is it happening to Robert and not others... that's the question.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
It could be the shell paint he is using. If it has a high matelic content it may cause a static build up on the insulated fiberglass shell when towing. When he striped the trailer down and reinstalled the wiring did he reattach the grounds to the frame? But then the frame is not really grounded since most trailers have rubber or plastic wheels on the jack unless it is plugged in ext. power. Or it could be the synthetic wall covering he is using.
These are my suggestions. Check the wiring grounds to the frame. Check to ensure where his trailer is pluged into power that the rec. is properly grounded. Use a jack pad instead of a wheel with bare metal on the bottom of the jack pad and pour some water under the jack pad prior to lowering. Try bonding the painted shell to the frane if he is using a matelic paint.
Since our campers don't have a dedicated ground they are subject to static build up and discharges. Also after a rehab the trailer also has a very low humidity level and that also promotes static charges.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #14

More controversy

But don't solder the grounds to the frame or maybe you should.
More controversy
Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #15

It's thought that it was the metal in the alumunum paint on the outside skin that caused the static discharge the brought down the Hindenburg.
BTW: If you do manage to actually "solder" a wire to the frame, besure to insulate it with Orange Marmalade or non-chunky peanut butter.(LOLOLOL)

Old 04-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #16

Even the air rushing out of a pressured air can and across a printed circuit board may cause a static charge and RUIN your electronics, that is why the technician grounds (Oh, There is that dirty word again) everything and himself B 4 doing so.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Donna, I noticed last year while in Death Valley and later in Arizona that I was getting a fair bit of static happening inside my trailer -got a few zaps... something I had not had happen on the wet coast before. Robert didnt indicate just how much static was happening which made me wonder if maybe it was a location issue and perhaps the type of fabric or wall covering put in the trailer....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #18

You will always get more static problems in low humidity conditions. It's the nature of the beast.
If a grounding strap is the easy fix, why worry, be happy, dance....