Std Stuff-TV or Ext. Hatches - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #1

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
Std Stuff-TV or Ext. Hatches

Newbie here. Everything is out of my Egg while I finish rebuild & clean carpets (floor & cabinets) Would it not be handier to place my essentials in boxes in my 4-Runner trunk rather than all those small compartments? Like a box with drinking water hose the filter & pressure regulator. Then one for waste stuff and another with electrical. Just thought fooling with all the little compartments would be a pain especially if it was getting dark. I am flexible just need suggestions. I am just going to visit family in TX not boondocking or becoming fulltimer. Help
Elaine
partslady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Makes sense to me long as you have the room Elaine. The important thing with storage is balance, and none of the stuff you mention would have much of an effect on weight distribution anyways. We like clear plastic containers for stuff like that, makes it easy to find what you're looking for. Good luck!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Elaine

I use several Rubbermaid tubs with lids exactly as you suggest for the bigger and dirtier stuff mostly.
I also keep the things in them that I am not always going to need when setting up but have proven handy to have with me just in case.

I keep the always used setup items in a Tub inside the Bathroom while on the road as it will always be the first out and last in when setting up or breaking down camp.

My small compartments though are also full of the day to day smaller stuff we always need to live or think we need anyway!
I try to filter through them constantly and lighten the load but then I often find I need something that I just removes on the next trip?

I also keep food and clothes and towels on the trailer as it just seemed silly after a while moving this stuff in and out all the time during a trip.I found myself moving luggage in and out of my own personal Hotel room instead of storing it in there and then the luggage took up space too?

There is also sort of a Ritual of getting ready and loading the trailer that gets me excited to get on the road!

By using the bins in the truck I am able to quickly prepare for a trip or quickly get back to using the truck for not camping and they stack at home taking up little floor space while making the camping stuff more organized than if it were spread all over.

So yes,I would use truck storage and trailer storage both.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by partslady9 View Post
Newbie here. Everything is out of my Egg while I finish rebuild & clean carpets (floor & cabinets) Would it not be handier to place my essentials in boxes in my 4-Runner trunk rather than all those small compartments? Like a box with drinking water hose the filter & pressure regulator. Then one for waste stuff and another with electrical. Just thought fooling with all the little compartments would be a pain especially if it was getting dark. I am flexible just need suggestions. I am just going to visit family in TX not boondocking or becoming fulltimer. Help
Elaine
We use a single "footlocker" type locking box from Walmart to carry all those things which you mentioned and more.It is sectioned-off inside with plastic boxes and cut-down waste baskets. Those things which are "emergency only" and never used are still stored in the trailer under the bench behind the water heater.
The large sewer hose is stored in the bumper and the tube provided.

It is a simple matter to set the footlocker in the TV, and it's comforting to know that everything needed is in one neat package, ready to go.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
It is nice when setting up camp to have one easy to reach container that you can plop on the table or ground and do what needs to be done. Save those hard to reach storage locations for the stuff you only need once in a while.

I just stow mine on the floor of the camper by the door when traveling, then under camper when set up.

One suggestion I thought was really good was keeping the rain gear, jackets, and swim gear in the TV. That way even if out and about seeing the sights you have that stuff available.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #6

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
My 13' trailer doesn't have a lot of easily accessible storage so I use the plastic bin containers and put them in the back of my TV. For emergency stuff that I won't likely use during a trip, I store them in the trailer and have a list of what's where so I don't have to dig around. At least that's the method to my madness for now. Its a work in progress and I'll modify as I see better ways to do things. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your travels. I think its fabulous that you're taking on a new adventure.
Linda
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #7

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
Rubbermaid Totes - I love it. That's because I grew up in Wooster, Ohio & most of my friend's families worked there, the founder was a good friend of my stepdads. Okay back to packing.
Totes in the Tow will be my choice, jammies/jeans in the trailer.
I am cleaning again - using "Resolve" on the carpet & inside the cabinets-working very well, it comes in a big red shaker can @ $7.
I'll be tote organizing soon, once I get all left over pieces & parts removed from front bunk.
Thanks for the Help
Elaine
partslady9 is offline   Reply With Quote