Steel wheels or fitting it in my garage?! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 02:05 AM   #1

Name: Lyndsay
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Alberta
Registry
Steel wheels or fitting it in my garage?!

I saw somewhere on the forums that someone had mini steel wheels for their camper so it would fit in the garage.
My camper is slightly too tall to fit in my future garage and I really want it in there so I can work on it.
Can some one help me out and point me in the right direction of the previous post or re post?
Are these something I can buy and where? Or do I need to have them specially made?
Other ideas on fitting the square in the circle hole?
Thanks!

"Truly" A Trilly - 1975 Trillium 1300
PrettylilTrilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:39 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi, folks use 8 inch tires and rims to get them into a garage. A bare rim will work also but will probably leave some marks on the concrete. It sounds like they are easily purchased. Those that use them will be along soon. An easy peasy fix. Maybe do a search for 8" wheels and see what comes up.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:14 AM   #3

Name: Samuel
Trailer: Burro
New York
I've seen them at Wal-mart and Harbor Freight. They are pretty low quality (especially HF) but we're not talking highway speeds here backing them into the garage.

'79 Burro, Rochester NY
samuelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Garage height

Prettyliltrilly,
In you post you referred to your "future garage". Is it possible to raise the garage door opening height?
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:18 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The four-on-four lug bolt pattern is fairly standard on older tent trailers with 8" rims. As many tent trailer owners up-grade to larger wheels it should be easy to find a set. Try looking on popupportal.com, the pop-up trailer equivalent of this site.

With the smaller 8" size tires you can gain about 3" of clearance, running on bare rims will give you about 7" and you can cut strips of 1/4" plywood for "tracks" to avoid damaging your concrete floor.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:30 AM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
Prettyliltrilly,

In you post you referred to your "future garage". Is it possible to raise the garage door opening height?

I wish! It's a townhouse and unfortunately they won't do that

Thank you everyone! I will look into all these ideas

Old 07-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I have same issue... Here is my fix
I made the roof vent removable using same simple bolts and nice looling wing nut fastners ( available at any hardware store)
Them i found out that on my sectional garage door if i pulled out the pin for the door opener i could simply push up the door and gain about 3" with the door pushed up as far as possible i then put a piece of 2x4 between end of door and the garage door header
Total time to remove bent and raise / block door is about 10 min max
Easier than changing tires/rims etc
It almost took me longer to type this on my iPhone than actually doing it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
For the OP the 4.80-8" Trailer Tire Assembly with 5x4.5" bolt circle are available it Princess Auto. They fit axles without brakes and will fit axles with 7" brakes by installing the rim on backwards (the valve stem facing towards the center of the trailer.
4.80-8 Trailer Tire Assembly | Princess Auto

Caution: these wheels are not for driving, they do not have the load capacity so only install them just before parking your trailer in the garage and take them off before towing.

Here they are installed on my Boler during construction, this is in a garage where the rafters are 96" and standard door height
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:37 AM   #9

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
I have the same issue. I got around it by using an old set of tires that I deflate and I take the lid off my fan.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #10

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Boler
I just remove the tires/wheels and drop, one side at a time, my Boler on Harbor Freight wheel dollies. Rolls right into the garage AND I can easily roll it around in the garage when needed to work around it. A small bit of extra work, BUT sure solves the dry storage problem.
Ron McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #11

Alberta
Registry
All you guys are awesome! I was upset when I found out that it wasn't going to just roll in nicely
Thanks everyone!

Old 07-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #12

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium & 2013 Escape 17B
North Carolina
Registry
Our 1975 Trillium fit into our garage just the way most of the other guys are telling you. In fact I got the idea off this forum 3 yrs ago. And the guy at our local tire place helped us figure out what to order. We got 12 inch hubs with 5 lug pattern and that lowered enough to get into our 7' garage door with about 1.5 inches to spare. We have no fan or AC on the roof. We used cardboard box pieces that we kept moving forward to prevent marking up our concrete. Dollies from Harbor Freight was an option we considered too. Wish I had known about Alan H's solution with the garage door back then. We would have tried that.
Gail H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron McNeal View Post
I just remove the tires/wheels and drop, one side at a time, my Boler on Harbor Freight wheel dollies. Rolls right into the garage AND I can easily roll it around in the garage when needed to work around it. A small bit of extra work, BUT sure solves the dry storage problem.
I love the hydraulic dollies I have, they can be seen under the tires in the above picture, you can roll the trailer into any position. I have a rear drive garage off of a gravel alley, I need the larger wheels to roll it in, there is no way the small dolly wheels will work to get mine into the garage. But if you have pavement in front of your garage Ron's suggestion would work well.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
We wanted extra height to be able to lift the FG Boler from its frame, for reno work, and a new axle installation. So we built our 'Boler Barn' with a 12 ft. by 9 ft. garage door, and a scissor trussed roof, to give an interior height of 11 feet. Now for the renovations...
Attached Thumbnails
Shed 001.JPG   Boler rebuild 003.JPG  

bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:58 PM   #15

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Golf cart wheels for a ego fit my 4 lug scamp

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote