Steps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I have had two hip replacements and have quite a time getting in and out of our Casita lately. A little stool at the bottom of the step is helpful, but we are thinking in terms of maybe three extendable steps that push back stow away for driving.

If you have such a modification we could see, and will be at the 2006 Oregon Gathering, please advise your site number. We would appreicate getting ideas too.

Thank you,

Kathy and Garth Chamblin
site B31
kathy chamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have a two step retractable Kathy on my Scamp... but I'm also running 15" tires and my trailer is "in-the-sky". I think you'll find, most generally, these lightweight molded fiberglass trailers are too low for retractables. I could be wrong and I know each trailer rides different. But you certainly don't want to leave the steps along the highway because you hit a bump!

PS: I'll be at the Oregon Gathering, site A 14
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I use a "safety step". This one.

I'll be A-13 if want to take a look.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft

Name:   dl2035_step_stool.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  22.2 KB

This one looks sturdy, I like that it has a handle on it. (although not a three step like you mentioned)

The steps from an old kitchen step stool might work. The kind that folded out from under the seat area. Maybe they could be modified to install so that they fold into the trailer during travel and fold out for use.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
I have a two step retractable Kathy on my Scamp... but I'm also running 15" tires and my trailer is "in-the-sky". I think you'll find, most generally, these lightweight molded fiberglass trailers are too low for retractables. I could be wrong and I know each trailer rides different. But you certainly don't want to leave the steps along the highway because you hit a bump!

PS: I'll be at the Oregon Gathering, site A 14
Many thanks,
kathy
Old 07-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
All respect to Lainey, but I suggest NOT using a modified kitchen stool with retractable steps, if he's thinking of the same kind I had. The steps cannot be separated from the stool. Also, I fell off one of those things a few years ago, when the thing shifted while I was standing on it. I still have hardware in my leg from the surgery to repair four breaks.

When I had my tent trailer, it had a rather high step up into it. I made a wood box with the height about half way between ground level and the trailer's floor level, and the other dimensions sized to slide in easily through the doorway.The top was a lift up, and the box made a handy storage place for the water hose and other stuff. I used a removable Astroturf type door mat on on the top of the box, for a handy place to wipe off feet and shoes, and leave most of the dirt outside. The box became the last thing into the trailer when moving, and the first thing out. When moving, the door mat went under the box, so it wouldn't slide around and damage the floor or cabinets. (Sorry, I can't send a photo, as I don't have the trailer or box any more.)
Dick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #7

Quote:
All respect to Lainey, but I suggest NOT using a modified kitchen stool with retractable steps, if he's thinking of the same kind I had. The steps cannot be separated from the stool. Also, I fell off one of those things a few years ago, when the thing shifted while I was standing on it. I still have hardware in my leg from the surgery to repair four breaks.

When I had my tent trailer, it had a rather high step up into it. I made a wood box with the height about half way between ground level and the trailer's floor level, and the other dimensions sized to slide in easily through the doorway.The top was a lift up, and the box made a handy storage place for the water hose and other stuff. I used a removable Astroturf type door mat on on the top of the box, for a handy place to wipe off feet and shoes, and leave most of the dirt outside. The box became the last thing into the trailer when moving, and the first thing out. When moving, the door mat went under the box, so it wouldn't slide around and damage the floor or cabinets. (Sorry, I can't send a photo, as I don't have the trailer or box any more.)
Thank you all...
Kathy
Old 07-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I have a two step retractable Kathy on my Scamp... but I'm also running 15" tires and [b]my trailer is "in-the-sky".

I think you'll find, most generally, these lightweight molded fiberglass trailers are [b]too low for retractables.
I bought a Retractable Double Step assembly from Camping World.

My Fiber Stream's floor is exactly 18" off the ground when being towed. However, I use anywhere between 1 and 3 levels of Leveling Bricks on the curb side to get the trailer level at a campsite. 3 bricks high make the floor 22" off the ground.

However, test fitting the step shows that it hangs very low when stowed! I have delayed installing it...
Old 07-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
I bought a Retractable Double Step assembly from Camping World.

My Fiber Stream's floor is exactly 18" off the ground when being towed. However, I use anywhere between 1 and 3 levels of Leveling Bricks on the curb side to get the trailer level at a campsite. 3 bricks high make the floor 22" off the ground.

However, test fitting the step shows that it hangs very low when stowed! I have delayed installing it...
Thank you for the links....very helpful...see you in Oregon.

kchamblin