Stereo Install - how to support - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: 05 Escape 17b
British Columbia
Registry
Stereo Install - how to support

I want to install a stereo deck in the cabinet above the wardrobe. I am little afraid the thin panelling will not hold the weight of the deck.

What have others done to brace the area or support the stereo?

Wood block under the stereo, use some construction adhesive and attach sheet metal/alum to the panelling, or use plumbing strapping to somehow support the stereo. These are ideas I have at this time, I still have to buy the stereo.

Thanks

Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #2

Name: LKG907
Trailer: Casita 17'SD
Washington
DIN box

I'm really not familiar with your trailer, but perhaps there is a spot under a cabinet to mount a DIN box to put the unit in?
Attached Thumbnails
Stereo.JPG  

Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandr View Post
I want to install a stereo deck in the cabinet above the wardrobe. I am little afraid the thin panelling will not hold the weight of the deck.
How big is the stereo you are thinking of? Perhaps an MP3 player would be lighter All kidding aside why not just give Escape a call as I am sure they will be able to advise you on how much weight that area can safely handle.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #4

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
an easy way would be to cut a board to fit crossways in the closet, with a snug fit. the radio would then sit with its weight on this board. to attach the board, small white screws threw the side of the closet,,,or coat the ends with epoxy and simply glue it in place.
or....a portable radio. handy to listen to inside or out. cheap. and easy to store away.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
John raised a good point. I have found that if the music source is located inside the trailer it has to be turned up pretty high to hear while sitting outside. I have a small MP3 stereo that can be take outside to better hear without worrying about bothering the neighbors. Also a small portable radio for the news - which more often than not needs to be moved around in order to get any reception.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
my portable is a grundig , with am/am/shortwave
i enjoy scanning the shortwave for world news, and just strange music and different programing that you can come acrossed. a big advantage to a good protable like this is you can string up an external antenae and get radio from all over. in the morning i make coffee and sit outside and listen to news, since i get up early and don't disturb others that way. and sometimes, the wife and i find a nice romantic spot , say by a river. spred a picnic blanket, have a little wine , cheeze, and music,and just enjoy being together alone. you can't do that with a mounted radio.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #7

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
If you are going to an automotive type head unit, then the dinmount would be enough if the wall were reenforced with a sheet of material.
I like Big truck mudflap plastic, It costs less than $10 and has thousands of uses. You could also add a foot attached to the back of the unit for additional stability if needed.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
I too will be installing a stereo soon....I will snap a few pics to share.

I am thinking of backing the fiberglass pannel with 3/4 inch ply wood, (not sure yet how big the wood will be) then cutting the hole for the stereo .....PL glue and some nice screws with cup washers will hold it all in place....I think the key to a nice clean install will be getting the unit mounted straight and solid.....I may even attach a small "shelf" to the 3/4 inch ply wood to help support the weight.

good luck with your install!!