Still can't get registration from Indiana - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
I bought my 81 Burro last spring from Jim in Minnesota. I have the completed title and paperwork from past registrations in Minnesota. Indiana BMV has given me the run-around, I have postponed my migration west by a month and now I have to leave by Nov. 9 without my Burro. The problem is the missing VIN and changes in state regulations (at least that is one person's excuse for bouncing me from department to department). Presently, I am trying to get the stolen auto branch of the police department to call me back. They won't even answer the phones or return my messages. If they ever call, I've been told they will set up an appointment at their convenience for an inspection, then send in a request for an MVIN. In a month (or two) I will receive a plate in the mail, then I have to affix it to the trailer, then make another appointment for an inspection, then go to the BMV (that will make the 4th trip to BMV over this issue) for a title transfer.

Is it this hard to register a 28yr trailer from out of state with title but no visible VIN everywhere in Indiana or just in Indianapolis? Would it be allowable to go to a BMV in a smaller town in Indiana? No, that doesn't sound feasible...

Since I will have to leave it out in the yard through the Indiana winter, what should I do to protect the tires and other systems? I had new brakes, bearings and hubs installed early this summer, but have been afraid to take it anywhere because I was told if I am stopped the trailer will be impounded. Now I'm worried about the brakes/tires deteriorating through lack of use. Any suggestions?

If I was a superstitious person, I would think I am not supposed to have this trailer. Then again, I bought it sight unseen (big mistake) and didn't know I should have checked for a visible VIN. Buyers beware!
Anne Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Anne -

** I have postponed my migration west by a month** - are you moving out of Indiana? If so, I, personally, would hitch it up, and take it with me to the new state and try my luck there! ALSO, see if there is a "problems resolution" officer / group. Also try your elected state senator or equivalent. He/She may be able to push a few buttons. (For example, with respect to the Police Dept, try to see if you can talk to the Chief and then go to your City Council representative. If all else fails, show up and adress the whole City Council at a meeting. Check with local newspapers / TV stations - they sometimes have an "action line". Think outside the box. Showing up IN PERSON - at the public service counter - often helps.

Most of all, document all your efforts, and I would use the trailer... just carry ALL the documentation. Then IF you do get a ticket, I would take ALL that to court and show it to the Judge.

Best of luck....

Alan

Quote:
I bought my 81 Burro last spring from Jim in Minnesota. I have the completed title and paperwork from past registrations in Minnesota. Indiana BMV has given me the run-around, I have postponed my migration west by a month and now I have to leave by Nov. 9 without my Burro. The problem is the missing VIN and changes in state regulations (at least that is one person's excuse for bouncing me from department to department). Presently, I am trying to get the stolen auto branch of the police department to call me back. They won't even answer the phones or return my messages. If they ever call, I've been told they will set up an appointment at their convenience for an inspection, then send in a request for an MVIN. In a month (or two) I will receive a plate in the mail, then I have to affix it to the trailer, then make another appointment for an inspection, then go to the BMV (that will make the 4th trip to BMV over this issue) for a title transfer.

Is it this hard to register a 28yr trailer from out of state with title but no visible VIN everywhere in Indiana or just in Indianapolis? Would it be allowable to go to a BMV in a smaller town in Indiana? No, that doesn't sound feasible...

Since I will have to leave it out in the yard through the Indiana winter, what should I do to protect the tires and other systems? I had new brakes, bearings and hubs installed early this summer, but have been afraid to take it anywhere because I was told if I am stopped the trailer will be impounded. Now I'm worried about the brakes/tires deteriorating through lack of use. Any suggestions?

If I was a superstitious person, I would think I am not supposed to have this trailer. Then again, I bought it sight unseen (big mistake) and didn't know I should have checked for a visible VIN. Buyers beware!
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If it were me, I would Call the DMV where you purchased the camper and get their title and plates.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
The DMV is a state Dept. you can go to any DMV office.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
If I were comfortable that the VIN was correct and the trailer was not stolen, etc. (and since you bought it from Jim here I think that's pretty certain), I would probably get a punch set and punch the VIN into the frame myself.

It's quite common for these older trailers to have had the VIN on a paper label (on the Trillium it was typed onto a piece of paper that was stuck in the closet), or a "tinfoil" sticker (on the side of the Boler). Not exactly permanent.

My trailer still had the "tinfoil" VIN visible, so I was okay. I would not have had any officials look at it anyway, except that I imported it from Canada, and my state (in particular) was very fussy about the importation, and I had to have customs inspect it (they looked at the VIN).

Harbor Freight sells the punch sets, but I'm sure they're available other places.

Again, I don't condone any wrong-doing, but only punching the VIN permanently into the trailer frame if you know it's all correct and above-board (and it's still an individual choice, of course).
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Anne, Can you apply for a "homemade trailer" title? Or an abandoned title? Not sure if your state allows that, but geezzzz, you have all the documentation what else do they need. You can't help that the "vin" may have been typed on paper back in 1981. I would stand in their office till they gave me a solution! I would make them as miserable as they were trying to make me. (( take your sleeping bag, LOL)) They have to have some suggestions for you.

If all else fails, I personally would look into titling it in the state where you are wintering if at all possible. Good Luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
No suggestions, but I had a title, AND a VIN on a manufacturer's plate, and it took me 10 months to get it registered in California. (So, in other words, don't tow it here and try...)

However, NEVER in the 10 months did anyone stop me and ask to see my temporary operating permit.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
Talking

Quote:
If I were comfortable that the VIN was correct and the trailer was not stolen, etc. (and since you bought it from Jim here I think that's pretty certain), I would probably get a punch set and punch the VIN into the frame myself.
I decided to go for it today with a three part plan! 1- I got a punch set and put the VIN on the frame. Not as easy as it looks, I had to hit each punch more than once to get a complete stamp and the numbers were not lined up well and obviously punched more than once, but what do I have to lose? I took ALL the papers I have including all previous registrations AND original order form from Burro, showing the kit status. I figured I would admit that the numbers were self-applied if I was asked, as Raya said, I'm not trying to do anything dishonest so I will tell the truth. 2- I planned to drive the trailer to a different BMV office in Indy so someone could come out then and there (and they would not recognize me from previous trips) to examine it. 3- As Alan recommended, if all else failed I would just stay there and politely insist on a temporary title or some kind of documentation to take with me. I am not planning to move to Arizona permanently, but I am at the point of changing my legal residence if necessary to get the trailer registered!

The outcome was anticlimatic. The BMV office I went to had no one waiting (never had that happen!) so I was called over to the window as soon as I stepped in. The woman didn't look friendly (Oh-oh!), but she looked at my title, asked a few questions about the trailer, told me I'd have to pay sales tax and a $21 fine for registering late and handed me my new plate! I was holding my breath the whole time! Now I'm legal! But why did I get such a run around (all summer!) from the other branch office? This woman never asked about the VIN or said anything about it being from out of state.

So keep an eye out for me and SunnySide UP! next week as we make our way through IL, MO, OK, TX, NM and into SE Arizona! We're finally going to be on the road!
Anne Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
I decided to go for it today with a three part plan! 1- I got a punch set and put the VIN on the frame. Not as easy as it looks, I had to hit each punch more than once to get a complete stamp and the numbers were not lined up well and obviously punched more than once, but what do I have to lose? I took ALL the papers I have including all previous registrations AND original order form from Burro, showing the kit status. I figured I would admit that the numbers were self-applied if I was asked, as Raya said, I'm not trying to do anything dishonest so I will tell the truth. 2- I planned to drive the trailer to a different BMV office in Indy so someone could come out then and there (and they would not recognize me from previous trips) to examine it. 3- As Alan recommended, if all else failed I would just stay there and politely insist on a temporary title or some kind of documentation to take with me. I am not planning to move to Arizona permanently, but I am at the point of changing my legal residence if necessary to get the trailer registered!

The outcome was anticlimatic. The BMV office I went to had no one waiting (never had that happen!) so I was called over to the window as soon as I stepped in. The woman didn't look friendly (Oh-oh!), but she looked at my title, asked a few questions about the trailer, told me I'd have to pay sales tax and a $21 fine for registering late and handed me my new plate! I was holding my breath the whole time! Now I'm legal! But why did I get such a run around (all summer!) from the other branch office? This woman never asked about the VIN or said anything about it being from out of state.

So keep an eye out for me and SunnySide UP! next week as we make our way through IL, MO, OK, TX, NM and into SE Arizona! We're finally going to be on the road!
Because a lot of government employees can be officious ( apologies to any Gvmt employees who are not officious) and it looks like you found them all except the last one.
Now get out of that state before they try something else. Illinois was a cake walk, I had the numbers on the top of the frame just to the right of the coupler on the street side ( hard to see but with a strong light shining from the side there they were, but no one ever looked.
t
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Glad it worked out EASILY for you.

It even happens with new units... hahahaha.... we brought our new 5er home from Backus just a year ago and the Calif DMV was a royal pain... I ended up writing THREE different checks as the amount due changed. AND the clerk never did check the VIN SHE said since it was new and direct from the dealer that was not necessary, **** BUT*** that lapse was caught in the main office - they sent me a nice letter telling me that I needed to get the VIN verified before they would issue plates. Ticked me off because I intentionally dragged it to the DMV and so it COULD be verified. Fortunately, instead of dragging it back to the DMV, we were able to just take it to the Police Dept in our small town (1.0 miles vs 15 to DMV), and get it done there.

All's well that ends well, I suppose.....

Happy Trails,
Alan
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Sweet! Way to go with a plan, and good idea to try a new office

And yeah, they can sure make it hard sometimes. Ask me about having to drive my Boler right into a major, big city, International airport to have customs import it. THAT was fun.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Awesome! You got it done! Yeah! Now go enjoy yourself! Safe Journeys!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Anne, you've just proved one of life's problem solvers... get a bigger hammer

Glad it worked out and thanks for posting YOUR solution, hopefully it will help someone in the future!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
What a great story! I am so glad that you now have plates and can travel. You are to be commended for your perseverance and creative problem solving! Happy trails!
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Anne, congratulations on your success!

My first suggestion would have been talk to a different office or person. You just have to get the right one and my husband always says it only takes one!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Yahoo! Great going Anne.

My transfer of registration from Tenn to Ohio was a nightmare.

First my tug was totaled by a deer, expensive delay. Then the title was so poorly done in Tenn, I had to pay to get a VIN inspection.....grrr. So, I got it in May and just got my plate in November.

They had the manufacturer as Uhaul, not Atlanta trailers. The Vin number was a cobble of uhaul, year, length and part of the vin #......so I had to make an appointment, haul it over etc...

Once there, the guys were great and knew exactly what it was and needed. I still need to get used to owning one though, there were people staring at it when I came out with my tag.

Enjoy!
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration, title