Still reading and learning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #1

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
Still reading and learning

Continuing on my search to learn more about the different RV's I came across two guides. The RV Consumer Group and JR Consumer Guides. Are any of you familiar with the information they offer and how accurate they are? Wondering if its worth investing in. The Southwest RV show is here next month and I plan to attend tho I will probably buy used. I figure all info is helpful even tho my head starts to spin at times.
Janb313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You normally will not find many if any of the small molded fiberglass trailer manufactures at the RV shows as most dont sell through dealers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Jan, Welcome! Glad you joined us..............

As Carol was saying, most molded fiberglass won't be found a rv show's. As far as the pulication, I suppose they will both help you, but would also say that you can find a ton of information on the world wide web. It's been so many years since I actually even looked at any rv consumer guides I can't help you with if those would be beneficial to you or not.

You don't say what type of trailer your looking for? A few important things to finding what the perfect trailer would be is, What's your tow capacity? How many people are you looking to sleep in the trailer? Do you want a bathroom option or not? The first question is the most important, then from there you should be able to find what will work best for your camping needs.

Again, Welcome!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jen, a great way to see a large number of different molded fiberglass trailers such as the ones that are owned by folks here is to attend a rally. You dont need to own a trailer to attend a rally. Most of the rally's have open house on Saturday so that you can take a peek inside them. The rally map for 2012 can be found here
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #5

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
Thanks for the advice. I found a few rallies in Texas and will surely be able to make at least one! I'll probably still go to the RV show - just fun to look at what is out there. I'm really wanting to get a look at a Bigfoot 17.5 in person and I've just started reading about Escape. I'm wanting something I can live in in colder weather as I'm hoping to spend a year in my little home on wheels. Will be selling my old old truck to buy something reliable so I'm also reading about TVs.
Janb313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
[QUOTE=Janb313;329278] I'm really wanting to get a look at a Bigfoot 17.5 in person and I've just started reading about Escape. QUOTE]

Both beautiful trailers, I know Bigfoot has 4 season package, not sure about Escape, but I can't imgine they wouldn't do it for you. Enjoy the search for your perfect trailer......
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #7

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I've no idea what a Bigfoot 17.5 is like but our Egg Camper is 17 ft. It's a bit wider and a bit taller than the Casitas, etc. Has a front toilet/shower, a side dinette,either a rear couch that converts to a bed or a full time bed. We chose the full time bed. It's a really open plan. More closet space than our 31 ft Kodiak and has more storage than we'll us. It can be had all electric (ours is) or with propane. Either way, the fridge is a compressor model so being level is not a necessity. We have towed it very well with our 6 cylinder Chrysler minivan but use our Chevy V8 pickup because it's much more comfortable than the Chrysler. Just another brand that you can check out. Oh, and no rivets through the shell.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote