Still Stinks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Still Stinks

Hi All! I was wondering if any of you trailer refurbishers out there have come across a way to rid a trailer of Old Cigarette Smoke Odor. After airing our T@b out for weeks, "washing" the wallpaper, using Febreeze on the ceiling fabric (it looks like rat fur to me just like Scamp's), having the upholstery professionally cleaned, sitting out open boxes of baking soda, nothing is helping the smell and it even seems to be getting worse! Having only been in homes where the owner's were current smokers I've never smelled old smoke or knew how hard it is to get rid of. I thought it was just stale/musty from being closed up and just needed a good cleaning. I've now had several folks confirm it's old ciggy smoke. It is permeating everything! I had to air out our suitcases, toiletries, food, baggies, linens, you name it, it smells. I cant store anything in it like this. Even the wood cabinets stink which I didnt know was possible!

Any ideas are much appreciated!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #2

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Have you tried this Fresh Wave stuff? Remove Odors With Fresh WaveŽ Products | Natural Deodorizers Eliminate Smells

My mom uses it to combat the stink from her two big dogs, and it works for that really well. I also used it in a solution to clean my Burro cushions when I brought the thing home. They were VERY musty smelling and it freshened them up pretty well.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (gone) 1985 Bigfoot
In the car detailing world, they use ozonators to rid the car of stinky ciggy smells.
How to Do an Ozone Shock Treatment on a Vehicle - wikiHow
KeithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Melissa, I once used this in a car that was smoked in for over 15 years - and it worked like a charm. The stink never came back even on hot summer days..

Welcome to Auto Vaccine
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #5

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Sams Club sells a product called Odo Ban which also seems to work well for nasty odors. Here is a link to google products for the odo ban.

Original Scent Odoban Odor Eliminator - Rtu Spray w/1 Gallon Concentrate
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I use a spray cleaner called speedball, manufactured by Butcher's, it works on everything I have tried so far, I used to use it to clean toll booths, from Parking lots, imagine 3-5 years of smoking in one of those little things blue with smoke hour after hour, you get the picture.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
+1 for OdoBan. It will smell floral for a couple weeks, then that will fade and the smoke smell should go with it. Also works pretty well on cat urine, from my experience. Besides Sam's, check Home Depot, Costco, Ace Hardware, Amazon.

Another possibility would be ozone treatment. Disaster restoration companies often have an area in a building that can be sealed up and then ozone is generated inside to treat the contents. They do this with stuff that's been in a building fire and they say it works.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Panoz77 is correct. I used Odo Ban... back then it was Odo-b-Gone when a cat urinated in a pinball machine cabinet I bought. I sprayed the inside (full strength) & the smell went away & didn't return.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Thanks! I'll give this stuff a try. I want to be able to store stuff inside the trailer as well as not have to air out e'thing every time I return from camping. Yeah, there is hope!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
What do the car dealers use in the cars they sell on the used car lots?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #11

California
At the dealership I worked for we used an ozone generator which worked very well - but thats a large investment that most people aren't willing to make on their own, especially if its for one application. You might want to call around though Melissa, you might be able to rent one.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984
Thanks John.
Do you think that a dealer might do a small trailer for a price?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #13

Name: Gail & Tom O
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
Try Odorzout. ODORZOUT - Odor Removal, Pet Odor Removal, & Urine Odor Removal
Old 08-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
At RV.net there are threads about lemon scented ammonia. Place open containers (bowls or pans) of household ammonia into a closed RV for formaldehyde smell. You would have to read up more if is would help for smoke odor too. I don't know myself.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #15

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Since the smell has permeated everything I agree with using an ozone generator. You could probably rent one from a restoration company.

While spraying stuff around will help it won't get into all the nooks and crannies where the smell is lingering. Ozone goes everywhere.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #16

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I just bought a cheap small 12v ozone generator just to maintain, I don't have any odors but thought it would be a good idea to have it plugged in when it is parked and not in use. I saw several "commercial" type generators in the $100-$200 range when I was looking.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #17

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Thanks John.
Do you think that a dealer might do a small trailer for a price?
I'm not sure, but it sure wouldn't hurt to call and ask. We used to do it to some of our customers cars, so it could be possible...
Old 08-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #18

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
I agree with the ozonator. Thats what we used in the hotel when we changed smoking to non smoking rooms. they can be rented, I just forget where. Restoration companies might do it
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #19

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hi All! I was wondering if any of you trailer refurbishers out there have come across a way to rid a trailer of Old Cigarette Smoke Odor. After airing our T@b out for weeks, "washing" the wallpaper, using Febreeze on the ceiling fabric (it looks like rat fur to me just like Scamp's), having the upholstery professionally cleaned, sitting out open boxes of baking soda, nothing is helping the smell and it even seems to be getting worse! Having only been in homes where the owner's were current smokers I've never smelled old smoke or knew how hard it is to get rid of. I thought it was just stale/musty from being closed up and just needed a good cleaning. I've now had several folks confirm it's old ciggy smoke. It is permeating everything! I had to air out our suitcases, toiletries, food, baggies, linens, you name it, it smells. I cant store anything in it like this. Even the wood cabinets stink which I didnt know was possible!

Any ideas are much appreciated!
We also have a couple more 'votes' in favor of Odo-Ban - we have not tried it with smoke yet, but anything else has disappeared! This stuff doesn't just cover up - it is used in nursing homes, etc for - kills ANY virus, bacteria and/or molds in a few seconds. We keep a spray bottle in the Egg's bath and spray for odors and cleaning...

BTW - have you found a good solution for your problem yet?

Bill
Old 10-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Found this site, sounds interesting...

Compare Odor Eliminators: Lysol, Oust, Citrus, Ozium, Ozone, candles, air cleaners and PureAyre.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote