Still stinky! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 AM   #1

Name: Maggie
Trailer: 1978 Boler 13'
Ontario
Still stinky!

My 79 boler is STILL smelly. I can't describe the smell.

There is no foam, no carpet, no curtains, no floor (other than the fiberglass), no sink, no stove, no fridge, nothing. The ensolite has been killz primed, the fiberglass has been scrubbed with tsp and then bleach, same as ALL storage areas. And yet, there is still a weird smell in it.

It's been airing out with windows open for the whole summer when it's not raining. I don't want to cover up the smell (aka, not febreeze) I want to get rid of the smell.

Ideas?

Edit: There were tons of dead lady bugs in it, I just googled "Do ladybugs smell?" Yes, they do apperently...but nothing about getting rid of the smell.
Yamaha_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Try setting a bowl of vinegar in the camper for awhile. There is also a spray car air fresher called something like O-Zone that is supposed to be an odor eliminator. You could hang a car air freshener, but I'd try an eliminator first as adding an odor to the one existing can sometimes make things worse.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #3

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Have you tried the stuff that people use to neutralize cat pee smells? Not that I'm suggesting a cat has whizzed in your trailer, but maybe that sort of stink-buster would help. You'd be able to find it in pet stores and the like.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_gurl View Post

There is no foam, no carpet, no curtains, no floor (other than the fiberglass), no sink, no stove, no fridge, nothing. The ensolite has been killz primed, the fiberglass has been scrubbed with tsp and then bleach, same as ALL storage areas. And yet, there is still a weird smell in it.

It's been airing out with windows open for the whole summer when it's not raining. I don't want to cover up the smell (aka, not febreeze) I want to get rid of the smell.

Ideas?

Edit: There were tons of dead lady bugs in it, I just googled "Do ladybugs smell?" Yes, they do apperently...but nothing about getting rid of the smell.
I am not familiar with Boler floor construction, but if there is wood under the fiberglass that could be causing the smell. My Burro floor had plywood with fiberglass on top and underneath, the plywood was rotted. Even though there were no obvious cracks or holes in the fiberglass the trailer smelled even after everything was removed. When I cut out the old floor as part of the floor replacement the smell went away.

If you do not have wood in the floor, how about something inside the door. Again I am not familiar with Boler door construction but many brands of doors have a core material inside the door that can get wet, rot and smell. You might have to cut the door apart to remove the offending material.

My Burro had some wood encapsulated in fiberglass for the door hinges to bolt into. This wood got wet, rotted and smelled. Any wood or other similar material may have to be removed to eliminate all odors.

There were lots and lots of dead ladybugs in my Burro when I got it. They were not part of the smell and it made no difference when I removed them.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_gurl View Post

Ideas?

Hi, Maggie

Can you describe the smell?
That might help point to the cause...
Most of us have had to deal with weird-trailer-smells, and someone might recognize yours by the description.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #6

Name: Brayden
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
Once you figure it out go to a detail store or AUTOBODY supply store and ask for a auto vaccine
They work amazingly I sell them all the time to dealerships and rv dealers
It neutralizes everything even bacteria
And the after smell is close to a milled bleach smell that goes away when aired out for An hour

Hope this helps

They have a website to auto vaccine .com
Siris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
As Andy said make sure the door isn't full of water. Check to see if there are drain holes in the bottom of the door, if there are make sure they are not clogged. If not drill a couple 1/8" holes.

Also what condition is the belly band in? Could it have moss, gunk or mold under it? It is possible that a nasty smell there could seep into the inside.

Unsealed plywood cubby covers?

That's all the quickly comes to mind for a nude trailer.

Edited to add...water tank?