Stinky slinky storage, post - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #1

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
California
Stinky slinky storage, post

I saw on this forum that several folks have put a vinyl fence post on the tongue just behind the propane tanks of the Casita, cutting it shorter to fit the space.
I bought one along with caps and placed it behind the propane bottles to see how much to shorten the post.
Well....I see the wiring coming out of the bottom of the Casita on the left side, lower front. This is when I face the front of the Casita.
My worry is that the post will rub this wire bundle and damage it...donít need that!
How have you addressed this issue....is it possible to tie the post down securely enough that it wonít slip back and rub the wire? It sure seems like I would be taking a chance damaging my wiring just for me to have a good storage spot for the stinky slinky.
How did you solve this?
2001 Casita Liberty Deluxe

Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I wanted a longer sewer hose tube than the original one on our Casita SD17. Bought a standard sewer hose tube, but of course the brackets don't fit the trailer because of the curvature of the body, so I cut the original tube out of it's brackets, left them attached to the trailer, and attached the new tube in the old brackets. In your case you could cut a piece of some kind of hose, slit it lengthwise, and put it over your wiring. I usually use automotive heater hose and it can be bought by the foot in a few different sizes, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, and 1" diameter.

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:39 AM   #3

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Protecting the wires from abrasion damage is fairly easy and there is a convenient product made exactly for this purpose. It is called "split loom tubing" and you can purchase it in various diameters from any hardware or automotive store. You do not have to remove the wires to install it because it is split along its length!

It does come in colors including white but the most common color to find will be black. Black is a good choice for use outdoors because that color is more UV resistant than white, but the white will last a long time as well. Also purchase some vinyl electrical tape to help secure it closed at the ends and then every 4 to 6 inches along the length. Vinyl tape also comes in various color choices so your application of it will be pretty much invisible against the tubing. Even a newbie to electrical work can create a very tidy looking job with this easy to use product. The only tool you will need is a pair of scissors. So quick, easy and inexpensive and it is the right product too...got to love that!

Here is a video for you to watch on the product
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:41 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leej View Post
I saw on this forum that several folks have put a vinyl fence post on the tongue just behind the propane tanks of the Casita, cutting it shorter to fit the space.
I bought one along with caps and placed it behind the propane bottles to see how much to shorten the post.
Well....I see the wiring coming out of the bottom of the Casita on the left side, lower front. This is when I face the front of the Casita.
My worry is that the post will rub this wire bundle and damage it...donít need that!
How have you addressed this issue....is it possible to tie the post down securely enough that it wonít slip back and rub the wire? It sure seems like I would be taking a chance damaging my wiring just for me to have a good storage spot for the stinky slinky.
How did you solve this?
2001 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Two things Lee, my '06 SD has a 4" square tube rear bumper that holds the hose. Did the '01 not have that storage as a stock item? Mount your tube under the frame instead of the top. That's not a spot that's prone to be in the way of anything but will give a little protection for the shower drain as a bonus if you still have the P trap type .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #5

California
My 201 does indeed have the rear tube for the stinky slinky, I just wanted the second one because I carry an extra length of sewer hose. Too often the utilities are further away than one length, and I need a longer sewer line. I was just trying to store my extra length, er, cleanly! Lol.
Ok..I will look into protecting my wiring and get this done!
Old 11-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #6

Name: A&B
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leej View Post
How did you solve this?
What I did was cut short lengths of 2X2 and attach them to the bottom of the fence post where the post would rest on the frame rails. Use nylon ties to attach it all together thru holes drilled in the 2X2. Painted black, hardly noticeable. Raises the fence post up enough not to interfere with the wiring. This is on a 2011 SD.
AandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #7

California
Perfect solution, thatís what I will do! And no more visits to the hardware store! 😍
Old 11-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #8

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Stinky Slinky Storage

I looked at the storage stace for my 2017 Scamp 16-ft SD?FB when purchase and decided not to have the hose storage tube installed. I added a sewer hose storage bumper to the rear bumper of the trailer which has worked really great.
Didn't have to mess with wires, battery etc.
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattopuin64 View Post
I looked at the storage stace for my 2017 Scamp 16-ft SD?FB when purchase and decided not to have the hose storage tube installed. I added a sewer hose storage bumper to the rear bumper of the trailer which has worked really great.
Didn't have to mess with wires, battery etc.
They work great until they rust out in a couple of years.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #10

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
vinyl fence post don't rust nor do stainless steel hose clamp. Rush in Texas is a long term problem not like salted road in Washington

Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote