Stock powerconverter in scamp..im clueless - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: 13ft Scamp
Wisconsin
Stock powerconverter in scamp..im clueless

First camper and i know a power converter lets a battery run plug apliances but thats it..here. Is a pic of what is in the 13ft scamp but I dont know where a battery would go or anything else or where to start to test it out..
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Mcmarkrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
This looks interesting... How old is your Scamp?

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
This looks interesting... How old is your Scamp?

-- Dan Meyer
1978 i believe
Old 09-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmarkrazz View Post
First camper and i know a power converter lets a battery run plug apliances but thats it...
Not really. The usual piece of equipment called a converter supplies 12V DC power when the trailer is plugged into outside 120V AC power; essentially, it takes the place of the battery, and may also charge the battery if you have one. It lets you use 12V DC stuff (such as lights, water pump, furnace fan, ventilation fan, etc) if you don't have a battery, or if you do have a battery then without running the battery down. This Starcraft can only supply 3 amps, which is enough for two old-style light bulbs, and nothing else.

A device which takes 12V DC power from a battery and produces 120V AC power like in your house is called an "inverter". While these are becoming more common, they didn't exist when that Starcraft unit was likely built.

The AC outlet on the Starcraft looks like just an outlet for your convenience, connected directly to the incoming AC power circuit; the converter doesn't convert this power at all. The switch on the Starcraft is labelled "BATTERY" and "TRANS", presumably meaning that it selects whether power comes from the battery, or from the converter (which is not much more than a transformer, thus the label). It also has a fuse for the 12V DC output power, and a circuit breaker for the AC power that can pass through it to that convenience outlet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I'm not sure, but I don't think this is stock because of the StarCraft brand. I hope someone else can confirm or deny this.

In any case, I would expect that with the switch to the battery position I would expect that your 12 volt appliances work on the battery, and with the switch in the trans position, I would expect your 12 volt appliances to work on a transformer if connected to shore power. I would also expect the battery to charge in the trans position.

If your trailer was equipped with a battery, it would likely be in a marine style battery box on the trailer tongue. If there are unused wires for a battery, be careful when connecting them as Scamp uses black for positive and white for negative.

Again, I hope someone else can confirm my suppositions with the power converter.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
I'm not sure, but I don't think this is stock because of the StarCraft brand. I hope someone else can confirm or deny this.

In any case, I would expect that with the switch to the battery position I would expect that your 12 volt appliances work on the battery, and with the switch in the trans position, I would expect your 12 volt appliances to work on a transformer if connected to shore power. I would also expect the battery to charge in the trans position.

If your trailer was equipped with a battery, it would likely be in a marine style battery box on the trailer tongue. If there are unused wires for a battery, be careful when connecting them as Scamp uses black for positive and white for negative.

Again, I hope someone else can confirm my suppositions with the power converter.

-- Dan Meyer
There are no outside extra wires available at the front of the trailer , could it have been used in a different location?
It would be nice to have an extra power source for a no power camp site or such at least for some lights and keeping fridge cold.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Depending on your wallet and skill level, you might consider adding a battery and a modern converter / charger. That would allow you to boon dock and run lights and fan off the battery and have the converter charge the battery, plus run devices when you are plugged in.

You really can't run a refrigerator (absorption, non-compressor type) off the battery - you need to use propane.

Tags
scamp