stocking your first trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I'm getting my first travel trailer and i am wondering what to stock in the trailer. I want to carry the least amount (weight) i can ,but i don't want to run to the store constantly.
What items are necessities and which are luxuries ??
I,e. I know people who tell me they always bring lawn chairs, others say don't bother , camp sites have picnic tables to sit at. We will be doing camping trips of 4 days or less and mostly within 300 miles of home

thanks steve d
If you have a birthday coming up, ask for Cabelas gift cards.

I see that you have decided on the Scamp 16 side. Will you be getting a "Marine Bath" or will you need an outside shower?

You will have a galley which you will want to stock. Go through your kitchen and put aside all the duplicate utensils. Pack stuff that has dual uses: i.e. a measuring cup that can also be a mixing bowl. Think about the utensils, pots cleaning aids that you use most days.

Regarding chairs and table: we have a small roll top table very similar to the one that Cabelas sells:

Cabela's: Cabela's Deluxe Roll-Top Tables

It folds up and stands upright in the closet taking very little space. It is so great when sitting around the camp fire. We put it between our chairs and have a place for our plates and drinks. I also use it as a cooking platform when BBQ ing. Our friends have the larger table for their BBQ.

Will you be dry camping or hooking up? If dry camping, what will you do for power? Fresh water vessels?

If you will be using showers & bathrooms provided at the campsite, how will you be carrying your toilet items? You'll still need toothpaste, shampoo, soap, etc.

At nite, will you be reading in the trailer? Do you have pets that you will need to take for walks after dark? You;ll need at least one flashlight and a headlamp. Headlamps can be used for reading in bed, and setting up the trailer after dark.

You'll need hardware for your trailer to level it. Where will you stow these items?

If you use picnic tables, you still need table covers (they do get filthy). We use bingee cords to keep the cover on when the wind comes up.

Paper plates is a great idea. You can get bamboo paper plate holders.
Mr Bar-b-q Inc - Bamboo Plate Holders, Set of 4 - Picnic - Camping World
These will add a little class to your table. I prefer disposable party cups for my wine.

Don't forget napkins, dish towels, paper towels to wipe up spills.

Will you be cooking outside? You'll need to bring outdoor camp cookware and grilling accessories.

Spices, seasonings & marinades.

For spices, get a 7-day pill organizer from the pharmacy. Put your dry spices in each "hole" and make labels for each "top". Pill boxes and pill cases by HealthAccessories.com

This will save space.

Microwave oven? If you plan to hook up take one. If you know in advance you'll be roughing it, leave it at home.

Bedding and towels (for your body, hands and dishes).

Plastic bags ... 13 gallon and those huge lawn bags. They don't take much space and you'll be glad you have them on hand.

I'll keep on thinking of stuff.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnelle View Post
You might want to take a 1 night trip very close to home -- it can be amazing what one forgets or discovers is a personal necessity!
We camped out in our trailer in the back yard the night we brought her home, then took her on her maiden voyage picking a campground close to shopping facilities so that we could buy things we forgot, such as matches for the propane stove. We read the lists on this forum and as time went on learned what we needed and did not need. Lighter is better! We keep most non-perishable things in the trailer all the time, but take the cushions and bedding into the house when we were not going to be camping for a while. Don't worry if you forget a few things -- using a trailer is supposed to be fun!

Brian
Old 04-13-2011, 08:16 AM   #23

Name: Michael
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Registry
wow... this is a great... I'll be going through my checklist soon...

The pie iron's look great... a definite purchase for the future.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #24

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I love my pie irons, when I have a campfire.

Just be sure to purchase the real ones, cast iron, not the cheap flimsy ones. I have the square one for sandwiches etc. and the hot dog one for brats.

I actually put one brat on one side and some sauer kraut on the other. A bun quickly over the fire toasted and bingo a wonderful supper.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Stocking (new to me)scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane p. View Post
if you have a birthday coming up, ask for cabelas gift cards.

i see that you have decided on the scamp 16 side. Will you be getting a "marine bath" or will you need an outside shower?

You will have a galley which you will want to stock. Go through your kitchen and put aside all the duplicate utensils. Pack stuff that has dual uses: I.e. A measuring cup that can also be a mixing bowl. Think about the utensils, pots cleaning aids that you use most days.

Regarding chairs and table: We have a small roll top table very similar to the one that cabelas sells:

cabela's: Cabela's deluxe roll-top tables

it folds up and stands upright in the closet taking very little space. It is so great when sitting around the camp fire. We put it between our chairs and have a place for our plates and drinks. I also use it as a cooking platform when bbq ing. Our friends have the larger table for their bbq.

Will you be dry camping or hooking up? If dry camping, what will you do for power? Fresh water vessels?

If you will be using showers & bathrooms provided at the campsite, how will you be carrying your toilet items? You'll still need toothpaste, shampoo, soap, etc.

At nite, will you be reading in the trailer? Do you have pets that you will need to take for walks after dark? You;ll need at least one flashlight and a headlamp. Headlamps can be used for reading in bed, and setting up the trailer after dark.

You'll need hardware for your trailer to level it. Where will you stow these items?

If you use picnic tables, you still need table covers (they do get filthy). We use bingee cords to keep the cover on when the wind comes up.

Paper plates is a great idea. You can get bamboo paper plate holders.
mr bar-b-q inc - bamboo plate holders, set of 4 - picnic - camping world
these will add a little class to your table. I prefer disposable party cups for my wine.

Don't forget napkins, dish towels, paper towels to wipe up spills.

Will you be cooking outside? You'll need to bring outdoor camp cookware and grilling accessories.

Spices, seasonings & marinades.

For spices, get a 7-day pill organizer from the pharmacy. Put your dry spices in each "hole" and make labels for each "top". pill boxes and pill cases by healthaccessories.com

this will save space.

Microwave oven? If you plan to hook up take one. If you know in advance you'll be roughing it, leave it at home.

Bedding and towels (for your body, hands and dishes).

Plastic bags ... 13 gallon and those huge lawn bags. They don't take much space and you'll be glad you have them on hand.

I'll keep on thinking of stuff.
i found a used 16 ft. Scamp sd with bath , air cond and all the options we wanted. ( real good condition) i pick it up this weekend and will be stocking it next week.

Thanks for all your help
steve d
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #26

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Great ideas! Jane P.----I bought the pill organizer today----GREAT idea!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Steve, over time you'll find yourself saying these words while shopping: "this would be nice in the trailer" so after a few years you'll have it sorted out like the rest of us!
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce thomas View Post
looking in our camper i cannot for the life of me remember how we ever were able to camp using tents...im amazed at whats actually in our camper that we "just hafta have".
Gonna wire for and install a small flatscreen this spring too
let me know how the tv install goes. I bought my trailer on wed 4-13-2011 , i picked it up on 4-16-2011 ,and wife decided on 4-17-2011 we needed flat screen tv . I'm sure by the time the snow melts here i'll have installed an antenna and tv.

Thanks steve d
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #29

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
happy camping, steve!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 AM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp
Did anyone mention flip flops, crocs or shower shoes? We keep lots in the camper because the friends end up wearing them too. We buy em for a buck in all sizes. Keep in a mesh string back and throw under the camper when you arrive. If the bath house is clean, I prefer to shower there.
brendaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #31

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Good one, $1.00 flip flops, or three months of itchy feet.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I ALWAYS wear shower shoes in public showers. It only takes ONE episode of athletes foot to decide that was an easy decision.

BTW: Shower shoes are what you wear IN the shower, NOT what you wear TO the shower. Sure would be nice if everyone realized they're dragging dirt and grass on the bottoms of their shower shoes when they wear them TO the shower. ICK!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #33

Trailer: Aliner
If you have a dog, you don't want to forget paper towels and zip lock bags.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote