Stone Protection - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Stone Protection

I expect to install a rubber mat (6ft x 18in) on the front lower panel of my trillium 4500. The suitable rubber is available at rubberline for 10 bucks a foot, however they recommended I use contact cement as the glue. I found on a boating forum "Contact adhesives should not be used for the mat because they are neoprene based and do not have long term resistance to water and eventually will lift, like you might see with mats on trailers."

My second choice for this is to use line-x. A dealer quoted 85 bucks. Iíve seen rubber mats on the front of trilliums before and would prefer to keep the original look.

I`ve had not luck with our search engine so I thought I would just ask; what would you recommend/what have you used? Thank you.

nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Not sure where your located but here in Ontario @ our CTC stores they have a spray product in a can which goes on clear and finishes with a rubbery/plastic protection coat.

RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Trailer: 1975 Boler
I used a thin ribbed rubber floor runner that Ace Hardware has on a roll. It was almost identical to what my Boler had originally. I had the original piece of aluminum trim to finish the edges around the guard.
Costwise - I probably paid close to 75-85 bucks for the mat, contact cement and other odds and ends.

If I didn't have the trim I would have gone for taping and rolling/spraying on some kind of truckbed liner so it looked neat.
It was difficult to cut the rubber runner neatly/evenly, and the contact cement deformed it slightly(eventually it cured and shrank back into it's original shape) making it hard to place exactly where I wanted too.
The rubber mat was also not easy to make a template for with the curves of the egg - I *think* most people here have been going the way of truckbed liner due to the relatively easy application and availability.
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote