Storage nightmare - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #15

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
I will be more than happy.... i'll try to provide a brief write up as well as some pics

It may be a day or to as I'm camping over the 4th ( go figure)

Old 07-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
They do still make the flat lids for the Fantastic fan. about $14-$20.
However, depending on the vent's location, I have found that I could get the vent through the overhead door by carefully raising and lowering the tongue at the right times while rolling it through the door.(As long as the vent is not directly centered over the pivot point).

Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #17

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
They do still make the flat lids for the Fantastic fan. about $14-$20.
However, depending on the vent's location, I have found that I could get the vent through the overhead door by carefully raising and lowering the tongue at the right times while rolling it through the door.(As long as the vent is not directly centered over the pivot point).
That's what I found I could do also (I used to remove the cover which is a PITA)
but I still am required to replace our wheels/tires to 8" golf cart wheels to fit through our 7' door.
Dave & Paula
Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
A couple of people have had success purchasing a cheap set of rims & using them without tires to fit their trailer in a garage...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #19

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
is there trim at the top of the garage door? One thing I did early on with my Campster and 7 foot door was (accidentally) rip the wooden trim off. That allowed the Campster to fit in more easily and didn't make any difference to the door. Only added about half an inch though.

And I forgot to say- MOVE. I hate HOA. My sister lived in one place that required a garage for every vehicle. But did not require that the vehicle be in the garage. So they had to build a third garage space even though then they just parked the truck in the driveway with the other cars! HOA should not make rules for things that don't hurt anyone, like an RV parked on the property, visible or not.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Some garage doors on automatic openers can be disconnected and pushed up farther, use a support to hold up, this may give you the extra 2".
Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
David B., you can P.M. him, mount small, I believe 8" tires on their Scamp to get it into the garage. As I recall I think they bought them at Harborfreight.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #22

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Cheep rims sounds like a good idea to me. Could be on and off in 15 min. Then you could back in on the cheep rims. Sounds good to me.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #23

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
Places like Menard's, Lowe's or TSC, stores usually sell trailer rims with tires. You can likely find some 12" or less that would fit to use instead of just rims to lower your profile.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #24

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	61431

I purchased the 8 " wheels @ $35.00 arch and they lowered my Trillium 4-5 inches. They could be deflated to gain another inch or so also.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
Attachment 61431

I purchased the 8 " wheels @ $35.00 arch and they lowered my Trillium 4-5 inches. They could be deflated to gain another inch or so also.
Do you have brakes?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #26

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
You might ask for a copy of the HOA rules on that. Read them carefully yourself to make sure you are not being told the wrong thing. See exactly what is required.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #27

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Do you have brakes?
I discussed this just last week getting mine to fit. I tried smaller size 8" rims and electric brakes will not fit inside hub. With the standard 13" Scamp rim, removing the tires alone will get about 3.5-4" off the height and a 12 inch may fit over the brakes for another .5" of clearance if you can find one. I can get away with just flattening my tires with my 8' garage door but am on the prowl for some junk rims. An air impact at the ready will make it very easy to change out the tires to rims.

And if the rims still don't give you enough clearance, maybe buy a couple of those car dollies with the casters on them and put under the axle. Watch out for your drains underneath if you get it really low.

Years ago the standard height garage door was 7' even though almost all attached garages have 9' walls and can easily accommodate an 8' door. Maybe replacing the door is an option especially if it is beat up or needs paint.

Good luck and I hope you get it in!
Old 07-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #28

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
I will be posting some pics of my solution once i get back from camping...as someone else mentioned earlier in this post, all i need to do is the following, if putting it in the garage...(do the reverse if removing itfrom the garage)
1) pull the pin on my roll-up garage door opener , push the door back approx 8" block it w/ piece of 2x4
2) remove 4 small bolts that attach & hold down the vent using the 4 knurl knobs & 4 corner screws
3) unplug the siimple 12 volt connection to vent fan
4)from the inside of the trailer push up & turn the vent so that it can be pulled down into the trailer
5) pu the pin back into the garage door opener
6) entire process takes me less than 5 minutes....no tire/wheel swapping etc

**** i did have to make a closed cell foam gasket to make the vent watertight....i used a 1/4 " think rubber excerise mat that i had ************
again very quick & simple