Storage nightmare - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
David B., you can P.M. him, mount small, I believe 8" tires on their Scamp to get it into the garage. As I recall I think they bought them at Harborfreight.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #22

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Cheep rims sounds like a good idea to me. Could be on and off in 15 min. Then you could back in on the cheep rims. Sounds good to me.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #23

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Places like Menard's, Lowe's or TSC, stores usually sell trailer rims with tires. You can likely find some 12" or less that would fit to use instead of just rims to lower your profile.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #24

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	61431

I purchased the 8 " wheels @ $35.00 arch and they lowered my Trillium 4-5 inches. They could be deflated to gain another inch or so also.
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
Attachment 61431

I purchased the 8 " wheels @ $35.00 arch and they lowered my Trillium 4-5 inches. They could be deflated to gain another inch or so also.
Do you have brakes?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #26

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
You might ask for a copy of the HOA rules on that. Read them carefully yourself to make sure you are not being told the wrong thing. See exactly what is required.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #27

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Do you have brakes?
I discussed this just last week getting mine to fit. I tried smaller size 8" rims and electric brakes will not fit inside hub. With the standard 13" Scamp rim, removing the tires alone will get about 3.5-4" off the height and a 12 inch may fit over the brakes for another .5" of clearance if you can find one. I can get away with just flattening my tires with my 8' garage door but am on the prowl for some junk rims. An air impact at the ready will make it very easy to change out the tires to rims.

And if the rims still don't give you enough clearance, maybe buy a couple of those car dollies with the casters on them and put under the axle. Watch out for your drains underneath if you get it really low.

Years ago the standard height garage door was 7' even though almost all attached garages have 9' walls and can easily accommodate an 8' door. Maybe replacing the door is an option especially if it is beat up or needs paint.

Good luck and I hope you get it in!
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #28

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I will be posting some pics of my solution once i get back from camping...as someone else mentioned earlier in this post, all i need to do is the following, if putting it in the garage...(do the reverse if removing itfrom the garage)
1) pull the pin on my roll-up garage door opener , push the door back approx 8" block it w/ piece of 2x4
2) remove 4 small bolts that attach & hold down the vent using the 4 knurl knobs & 4 corner screws
3) unplug the siimple 12 volt connection to vent fan
4)from the inside of the trailer push up & turn the vent so that it can be pulled down into the trailer
5) pu the pin back into the garage door opener
6) entire process takes me less than 5 minutes....no tire/wheel swapping etc

**** i did have to make a closed cell foam gasket to make the vent watertight....i used a 1/4 " think rubber excerise mat that i had ************
again very quick & simple
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #29

Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
I discussed this just last week getting mine to fit. I tried smaller size 8" rims and electric brakes will not fit inside hub.
OK, this may be a bad idea, but could you just roll it on the brake drums?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
OK, this may be a bad idea, but could you just roll it on the brake drums?
I thought about that too so just went out and checked. That's a no, there is a back plate cover on brakes that is lowest part. You could also get just a round piece of steel plate with the bolt holes in it to mount on the lugs temporarily. Easily done burning the holes and perimeter with a cnc plasma table. Since I have access to a plasma table maybe I should sell Scamp/Casita super low rider kits on this site? My luck and someone will try driving down the highway on the plate wheels, lol. Hey, I'll start taking orders for them.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #31

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
remove the vent and put in a deck hatch for a boat very low profile.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #32

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
I tried smaller size 8" rims and electric brakes will not fit inside hub.
A "7 inch" brake drum has 7" inside diameter, so it has a significantly larger outside diameter for the wheel to clear. An "8 inch" wheel has a diameter at the tire bead seat area of 8", so it is substantially smaller diameter inside where the drum has to fit. I would not expect any 8" wheel to come close to fitting any 7" brake.

Quote:
... a 12 inch may fit over the brakes for another .5" of clearance if you can find one.
Yes, and a 10" wheel will likely also fit, and is available in the bolt patterns common for our trailers.
Unfortunately, the common 10" tire size is 20.5x8-10 or 205/65-10, which are 20.5" in overall diameter - perhaps not as short as we would like, and actually big enough to have the load capacity to handle a typical 13' egg on the road! There are some shorter 205/50-10 tires for golf cars (carts), which are a couple inches shorter. Real (not BMW) Minis came on 10" wheels - if you could still find a 145R10 or 165/70R10 it would be only about 19" high.

A readily available option is 4.30x12 tires (on 12" wheels); they are about 20.7" tall. Unfortunately, there seem to be no low-profile (and thus short) 12" tires available.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #33

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
If you need to get it stored quickly look for an outdoor storage facililty with a month to month rental agreement. They're every where. You can have it stored today and then take your time getting the best permanent solution.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #34

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Floyd, unfortunately, the vent is located directly over the axle :-/

Bobbie, LOL, I actually accidentally ripped the trim off of that side of the garage too

Not wanting to switch out wheels every time. That sounds like a huge PITA.

Like the idea of the removable vent. Hmmmm....
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Take the wheels off and lower the drum directly onto one of these:

That should substantially lower your trailer and you should be able to push it on the dolly.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #36

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
And I forgot to say- MOVE. I hate HOA. My sister lived in one place that required a garage for every vehicle. But did not require that the vehicle be in the garage. So they had to build a third garage space even though then they just parked the truck in the driveway with the other cars! HOA should not make rules for things that don't hurt anyone, like an RV parked on the property, visible or not.
While HOA rules can be a pain believe it or not they can also be a good thing. No one wants to look at an old RV covered in tarps in their neighbours driveway for years on end. One guy does it so another does to and before you know it your neighbourhood looks like something out of Sanford and Sons.

We dont have an HOA per say but we do have a city wide ordinance that restricts RVs to side or back yards during the winter months, unless they are being loaded up. In the summer months they can be in the driveway but must be being used an move every so often.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #37

Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
SouthEast
Registry
Can you put it behind a few pieces of privacy fence? I think someone already asked that. But not take the fence entirely around the back where the drop off is. Is parking it outside at a storage facility an option? I see lots of those around here. I know someone that pays $25 a month to keep her motor home a mile from lake Keowee so she doesn't have to drive the gas guzzler so much.

The flat vent sounds like the easiest solution. Can you just remove the vent completely now and then measure the max height it could be to get in and out easily?

We don't have an HOA but we do have a souped up community watch and it can be frustrating because neighbors can be picky. But it has kept our 1980's neighborhood looking good.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #38

Name: Byron
Trailer: 73 Boler
Ontario
To lower my boler I use a old set of brake rotors.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #39

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A set of 10" trailer tires and wheels you can swap on and of in a few minutes should take care of the problem and the 4 on 4" is a readily available bolt pattern. But don't drive very far on them. I think you can get them at Harbor Freight.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #40

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
.... Since I have access to a plasma table maybe I should sell Scamp/Casita super low rider kits on this site? My luck and someone will try driving down the highway on the plate wheels, lol. Hey, I'll start taking orders for them.
Here's a great idea you could manufacture, by Kevin K: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...age-33053.html

And here's what Daniel V did: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post156172

And a plywood and rubber wheel also by Kevin K

GOOD LUCK!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote