Storage of Honda Generator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I am planning to acquire a small generator, perhaps a Honda or Yamaha in a 1 KW size.

I know most who use these store them in a box on the tongue of the trailer, but I'm a little concerned about the security of doing this. So am looking into alternative.

One option is to let it ride in the tow vehicle. There would be no problem if the TV were a pickup truck. However, I normally tow with a GMC Jimmy full size in which the cargo area is open to the passenger area. I wouldn't operate the generator inside the TV, but let it ride there enroute.

My concern is the odor of the gasoline via the tank vent. Perhaps any of you that have such a unit know how much gasoline odor they emit and could provide a recommendation one way or the other.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler ('Le Porto II') / 2006 Pontiac Torrent
I dont know how the back end of your trailer is made but did you consider making an aluminum box on the back bumper and putting your generator in it? That way you can safely lock it and you wont be concerned with fumes inside your truck. As for the generator itself, did you consider buying a "Kypor" generator? they use the same technology as Honda or Yamaha at a fraction of the cost.

Have fun
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
I use a Robin Suburu generator and it stinks of fumes, I would avoid inside a closed vehical for two reasons.

A. Gas fumes are known to cause cancer.
B. In an acident, it may turn the unit into a missle or a bomb or both.

Seriously, I would be concerned, I use a pickup so its not a problem for me, I use a good quality bicycle cable and lock to secure it thru the handle both on the truck to an eye hook and to the frame of the trailer thru the bumper in camp so it does not grow feet.

I really like the box idea, you can ebay a good diamond plate box to secure it in and weld it in place.

Hope this helps.
Harry

Quote:
I am planning to acquire a small generator, perhaps a Honda or Yamaha in a 1 KW size.

I know most who use these store them in a box on the tongue of the trailer, but I'm a little concerned about the security of doing this. So am looking into alternative.

One option is to let it ride in the tow vehicle. There would be no problem if the TV were a pickup truck. However, I normally tow with a GMC Jimmy full size in which the cargo area is open to the passenger area. I wouldn't operate the generator inside the TV, but let it ride there enroute.

My concern is the odor of the gasoline via the tank vent. Perhaps any of you that have such a unit know how much gasoline odor they emit and could provide a recommendation one way or the other.
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
...did you consider making an aluminum box on the back bumper and putting your generator in it? That way you can safely lock it and you wont be concerned with fumes inside your truck...
.... but keep in mind that putting 50-80lb. generator on the trailers back bumper may alter your trailers towing geometry. Greatly. Your heaviest stuff in your trailer should always be set as close to the axle or in front of it.

If you have room inside your TV, make that your first choice, be sure to stow it securely. If you want to contain the gas odor, a hermeticly sealable "bodybag" for your generator would be a economical choice. Check the 'net for stuff like "Hazmat Containment", (a bit extreme), but I'll bet if you search along those lines you'll find industrial-strength "stink-proof" vinyl storage bags that can suit your needs.

Quote:
As for the generator itself, did you consider buying a "Kypor" generator? they use the same technology as Honda or Yamaha at a fraction of the cost...
I second the consideration of the "Kypor" line. Seen em', heard 'em,and I'm impressed.

ConwayBob
Old 08-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Place it in the tow vehicle and Slam on your brakes or worse, hit something an that little 1000W generator will weigh a ton when it slams into the back of your head.

You can make a lockable cable to lock it to the tongue box or frame of the egg.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Loren,
You might investigate converting the generator of choice to using propane for fuel. Or check out those which come set up for propane by the factory. It could still be a missile if not anchored, but at least not a bomb.
Depending on weight factors, a frame over the propane tank(s) could support the generator. The frame could just be a platform when the generator is in use, or be as exotic as holding a diamond-plate box with the generator inside.
This subject seems to be of on-going interest so please keep us posted on your progress.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #7

Propane Generator
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...59574_200359574
Old 08-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Place it in the tow vehicle and Slam on your brakes or worse, hit something an that little 1000W generator will weigh a ton when it slams into the back of your head.

You can make a lockable cable to lock it to the tongue box or frame of the egg.
I echo what Darwin is saying and retract a bit what I posted earlier. Stow it on the tongue if you can, or in the TV as a last resort, as long as you can secure it well.

But I just wouldn't put it on the trailers back bumper, it's just too much weight too far back from the trailer axle. IMHO
ConwayBob
Old 08-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
You asked about fumes specifically.

We own a Honda EU2000i and a Toyota 4Runner, (the rear cargo compartment is not separate from the passenger cabin). We carry the generator in the area behind the rear seats when we're travelling and there are NO fumes, no odor, and no leakage.

E. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
I have carried a honda 650 generator behind the front seats in a rav-4 with out any problems
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Quote:

Loren, Please post whatever you decide to do. We are considering a generator, too. It is so hot in the South that air conditioning is a necessity. We installed a 5,100 BTU General Electric AC in the back window, but can't camp where we don't have access to electricity. If we get a generator, i wonder what size we will need to run the AC? That would be all that we would run on the generator when we have the AC on. Anybody willing to share information? thanks, John & Vi
Vi Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Loren, Please post whatever you decide to do. We are considering a generator, too. It is so hot in the South that air conditioning is a necessity. We installed a 5,100 BTU General Electric AC in the back window, but can't camp where we don't have access to electricity. If we get a generator, i wonder what size we will need to run the AC? That would be all that we would run on the generator when we have the AC on. Anybody willing to share information? thanks, John & Vi
2500 watt / 3500 watt surge is plenty for my 5000 BTU AC, AND everything else, like Refridgerator, TV, Computer, Ham Radios, lights, ect. If you go with a less expensive non-inverter type generator, invest in a line conditioner device as well, (like a computer uninterruptable power supply).
Old 08-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Vi,
I have a 5500 BTU air conditioner in my trailer. My son's Honda EU2000i will start and run it with no issues. My McCulloch FG2000Tc would not start it. I bought a SPP6E hard start relay from www.arnoldservice.com and installed it in the ac and this solved the starting problem. So, a 2000 watt generator should run your ac.

Tom Trostel
Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #14

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Thanks for your considerate replies.

Back Bumper -- I consider my back bumper on my trailer practically worthless. It is light weight and doesn't protect the rear corners of the trailer. The spare tire would do more "bumpering" than the bumper. I wouldn't want to carry much, if anything, there.

Weight Distribution -- I agree the best place would be right in the center of the trailer floor over the axles. Somehow, I have an idea the cook would be upset if that were the final decision. If I were really ambitious I perhaps could build a vented compartment under the sink counter over the right wheel well with an access door to the outside.

Gas Smell -- Glad to know that Honda and Yamaha have figured out how to effectively contain the gas vapors in their small gen-sets. Perhaps a Kipor is in that league also.

Ballistics -- This is a serious point and one I seldom consider. I saw an out-of-control fellow in a pickup get his head and face bashed terribly during a roll-over by a lunch box that wasn't secured. A five pound lunch box is one thing, a hundred pound gen-set is . . . .

Metal Box on Tongue -- Of all the things I'm impressed with concerning my Scamp, the frame isn't one of them, especially the tongue area! Hopefully later models have been improved. After welding in doubler plates it is better, but I already use the two 7.5 gallon aluminum propane bottles from my old Avion and would hesitate to add another 100 pounds. If I went back to a single bottle, it would be a possibility though.

My Plan -- I'll try it in the TV. If it smells like gas fumes, I'll banish it to the trailer enroute and to the TV while parked, then reconsider. If it is fume-free in the TV, then that may become its permanent riding place. Oh, yeh! I also need to come up with an effective tie-down system for the miscellaneous stuff that gets chucked into the back of the TV. There's the tool box, tongue wheel, hydraulic jack water containers, camping chairs, . . . . .

Thanks again for helping me keep my head on straight!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
We carry our Honda 2000i in our Odssey in a plastic storage box which I have added foam weather stripping to the lid to assist in vapor control. It resides in a well at the back behind seats so shifting around is not an issue.

However, I recently built a fiberglass box on our tongue for carrying and running the generator, but have don't neither yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Generator_Cover_2.jpg  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #16

Thanks Tom Trostel from DR!

We’re always discussing generator requirements for running our air conditioners and you mentioning www.arnoldservice.com and the SPP6E hard start relay could very well be the solution to most of our generator / AC problems.

I to have the McCulloch FG2000Tc and while it will start the AC, it goes into overload when the AC cycles off then back on.

I ordered the CAP and will post a follow-up report after I install it.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #17

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
The gas cap on the "Honda2000" is great.... It has an on/off lever on the cap and what happens is when you put the cap in the "Off" Position (not running mode) it completely seals the cap so no vapors escape ...........
When you put it in the "On" Position (running mode) the cap is now vented and lets air in to run the unit.
Always travel with the cap in the "Off" Position and you will be fine
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:03 AM   #18

Trailer: Trillium
How is the box and generator attached to the trailer in the pic with generator on front? Is one side open? Concerns about theft?

Don
d_wildemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:07 AM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Quote:
How is the box and generator attached to the trailer in the pic with generator on front? Is one side open? Concerns about theft?
Here's another view. The box is bolted to the tongue frame. The generator and gas can are strapped to the box bottom, and the generator is locked to the tongue frame using a cable and padlocks. However, since cables can be cut with a bolt cutter, this method is not foolproof.

The box also has a locking top to prevent casual inspection of the contents, and when open, the front can be slide out for running the generator in-place.
Attached Thumbnails
Generator_Box_3.JPG  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator