Stove - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #1

Name: Gene
Trailer: Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Stove

I have a stove that I think is stainless and someone has painted black. Does anyone know how to polish stainless. Thanks for any help, Gene
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Rouge (different grits) and a high-speed buffer made for polishing metal. Lots of elbow grease. It's possible they painted it black because it's rusty. Stainless doesn't mean rustless. I have a stainless stove top and sink and both have rust spots. I use ZUD to clean and the rust spots turn chaulky looking, but with a tad bit of moisture (from the air) they're brown again fairly quickly. They're clean, so I live with it. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Rouge (different grits) and a high-speed buffer made for polishing metal. Lots of elbow grease. It's possible they painted it black because it's rusty. Stainless doesn't mean rustless. I have a stainless stove top and stink and both have rust spots. I use ZUD to clean and the rust spots turn chaulky looking, but with a tad bit of moisture (from the air) they're brown again fairly quickly. They're clean, so I live with it. YMMV
Try some automotive polish/wax, it kept the chrome on my Dad's car shining. May work for stainless.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
The original cook top on our Scamp was pitted, rusty and ugly. I tried cleaning and polishing, but it was beyond that treatment. I then sanded it and painted it with high temperature automotive paint.

Success was short lived. The high temp paint didn't adhere well and burned off in some areas quite quickly.

I ended up buying and installing a used small yacht quality range which has held up very well.

I have also been eyeing those glass propane cooktops in the home appliance stores. They could be re-jetted for propane and certainly be easy to clean. If I had it to do again, I would certainly investigate installing one of these.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: burr... What I find works best to remove the tarnish on our S/S backsplash is Nevr-Dul. It is an impregnated wool wading cloth in a can. Avail. at most hardware stores. Just pull off a piece and rub/polish with a clean cloth to remove the black!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
view from here.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:55 AM   #6

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren G. Hedahl View Post
I have also been eyeing those glass propane cooktops in the home appliance stores. They could be re-jetted for propane and certainly be easy to clean. If I had it to do again, I would certainly investigate installing one of these.
Glass top propane?? Sounds interesting, but I couldn't find anything when I did a search. Could you send along a link?
Thanks,
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjie s. View Post
Glass top propane?? Sounds interesting, but I couldn't find anything when I did a search. Could you send along a link?
Thanks,
Marjie
It won't be totally smooth, like the electric ones. They just replace the metal surface with Glass, and mount the gas burners in the regular way.
Attached Thumbnails
084691172536xl.jpg  
Old 06-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I thought they were referring to the Smev type stoves with the glass top that covers everything- here is a picture
Attached Thumbnails
56f7_1.JPG  
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote