Stove as heater? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 05:25 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Stove as heater?

My Boler didn't come with a furnace, so I was wondering id I could use the stove to heat it. Is this safe practice if I open the top vent and crack the door window?

Old 08-09-2003, 05:30 PM   #2

[quote]originally posted by Cablesmerf...
Stove as heater?
My Boler didn't come with a furnace, so I was wondering id I could use the stove to heat it. Is this safe practice if I open the top vent and crack the door window?[quote]Bad idea Dan. There have people that have died from useing unventalated stoves to heat.

Old 08-09-2003, 05:32 PM   #3

Can you see my post? I can't.

Old 08-09-2003, 05:35 PM   #4

Stove as heater?

Dan, Your post is having trouble. I tried to save it.

Old 08-09-2003, 05:37 PM   #5

Stove as heater?

what is the difference between using the stove or a furnace? Or a tent heater for that matter?

Old 08-09-2003, 05:38 PM   #6

[quote]Dan, Your post is having trouble. I tried to save it.
[/qoute]

What does that mean?

Old 08-09-2003, 06:03 PM   #7

Sorry, you don't have a test section, so...this is a test.:)

Old 08-09-2003, 06:04 PM   #8

Woo hoo!!! It works!:party :inbox

Old 08-09-2003, 06:09 PM   #9

Welcome back. :wave

Old 08-09-2003, 06:11 PM   #10

[quote]Orginally posted by Michael Sanders

[quote]originally posted by Cablesmerf...
Stove as heater?
My Boler didn't come with a furnace, so I was wondering id I could use the stove to heat it. Is this safe practice if I open the top vent and crack the door window?
Quote:
Bad idea Dan. There have people that have died from useing unventalated stoves to heat.
Okay, so what is the difference between heating with the stove and a tent warmer?

Old 08-09-2003, 06:11 PM   #11

Hi Dan---Glad you are getting sorted out.:wave

Using stove for heating imho is unsafe.Use a approved heater.Canadian Tire has them.Catalitic.

Old 08-09-2003, 06:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Use a approved heater.Canadian Tire has them.Catalitic.
Sorry to be a pain, but could you elaberate with more details. A pic would be groovy;)

Old 08-09-2003, 07:04 PM   #13

Hi Dan
No ones a pain here.Were all here for same reason and that is to learn and be sociable.

Canadian Tire and Wallmart have them in their camping sections.I will try to find photo.

Canadian Tire link.

This will give you an idea what to look for.

Old 08-09-2003, 07:13 PM   #14

Stove as heater

Hi
We use our stove to heat up the Trillium all the time. Did the same with our former tent trailer.

Once we are in the trailer for the night we turn the stove on for a couple of minutes. Vent is cracked as is a window or two. The stove gets the trailer nice and toasty and then we turn it off. The key word here is "TURN IT OFF". Same thing in the morning if its cold, turn the stove on for a few to warm up while making the morning coffee.

I personally don't see any difference in having the stove on to cook with, having it on for a FEW MINUTES to provide heat or to have a catalytic heater on. Those portable catalytic heaters don't vent.

I have mild asthma and react to fumes (and dogs:cry). We got a catalytic heater numerous years ago and ended up taking it back. It started me wheezing, yet the stove never does.

Just make sure its only on for a few minutes to take the chill off and to be extra safe, have a carbon monoxide detector.
Nancy

Old 08-09-2003, 09:57 PM   #15

Heating with cooking stove

:wave
In 1979 a friend at our sailing club bought an old, old trailer and used for a summer base at the sailing club. He had a propane burning light in it. After tersting the integrity of the propane lines he opted to use this light as his sole source of illumination. On a windy night he closed down the vent to only about 1/2 inch, and closed the windows to prevent sand from blowing in.
I went to visit about two hours later, knocked repeatedly and got no response. Earl had cooked and eaten supper in the meantime and had two shots of rum and fell aseep ast the kitchen table. When I opened the door the propane light was burning a deep orange color and there was no oxygen in the unit. I was able to bring Earl out and began mouth to mouth resuscitation, while my wife called the ambulance. He recovered and was released from hospital four days later. For heaven's sake be careful. The first time can be the last time.
CHEERS:nono

Old 08-09-2003, 10:00 PM   #16

Hi Owen
Good safety lesson.:wave

Old 08-10-2003, 12:07 AM   #17

Stove as heater

As a kid, I got carbon monoxide poisoning on my father's boat. Both myself and the dog were stricken, as I was lying down in a forward bunk, and we had a following wind, blowing the boat exhaust back into the boat. I was taken to hospital, receiving oxygen, but it was an experience I have not forgotten.

I have a forced air furnace in myTrillium, which draws in outside air, heats the inside of the trailer, as well as exhausts hot air to the outside. I also have a portable CO tester.

Works for me.

Rick

Old 08-10-2003, 07:47 AM   #18

inside heaters

Mike,
The " Mr Heater" "Portable Buddy" has a low oxygen sensor that is supposed to turn off the heater. Several others have reported using this heater with good results. It has reduced output at higher altitudes. Although it sounds good I would not use it without a window cracked open. I would not want my life to depend on a sensor that could fail.
I read somewhere that while sleeping you will give up about 1 pint of water out of your body through breathing. 2 people = 1quart. If you run your hands on the walls of your fiberglass rig in the A.M. you will feel all that moisture. It is nice to turn the heat on in the morning (or on rainy damp days) just to evaporate the accumulated moisture trapped in the trailer.
Many of the carbon monoxide/fire detectors are listed as operating only as low as 40* F. So, if it's cold and you have a heater putting out CO then the detector might not work.
Have fun but pay attention:cry
Rick D.

Old 08-10-2003, 12:06 PM   #19

Please, please, please don't use the stove as a heater!

The only safe way to cook (use the stove) inside one of our tiny fiberglass rigs is with plenty of ventilation (open windows, trailer door, etc), in addition to running the exhaust vent (if you have one).

If you're enclosed enough to feel the inside of the trailer heating up when you are running the stove ... well, you don't have enough ventilation.

Problem is, lack of oxygen is not something you can "sense." The brain shuts down and you pass out before you realize you are in any danger.

Old 08-10-2003, 07:57 PM   #20

Owen,
I sure am glad you decided to visit Earl, and I'll bet Earl is really happy about it.
Talk about a close shave!!!!

Closed Thread