Stove Top Peizo Lighter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Been having a problem with lighting the stove top burners since the unit was new. The peizo sparkers seem to be
too low. I turn on the gas and run the sparker a half dozen times until there is enough propane dropping down to the level of the lighter. Then a big swoosh as way too much gas is ignited. I tried to bend the wire tip of the peizo up higher. Big mistake, busted in two. I had to purchase the entire burner.

So with the new ones I removed the small peizo sparker, sprayed it with Deep Creep and ever so lightly tapped it higher in its housing. It now sits slightly higher than the frizzon hole that allows propane to flow directly to the peizo sparker. But fixed the problem and one spark and the burner lights.

To make this narrative come to a pont....is there any problem with setting the peizo sparker higher? I can see that the ignited propane from the frizzon hole blows directly on the wire peizo sparker whereas before I reset it it might have blown just slightly above the wire.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Tamid;
Do a search with my name and you can see how I installed a battery operated ignitor system.
Yes, I did find that the wire has to be almost in the gas to ignite properly. A little too low and it takes a while to work, with a whoomp!
Mike
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a link to Joy A's mod: Electronic Stove Ignitor. Good pictures and write-up.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Thanks for the link to the older thread. I did read that when it was first posted. However, with the peizo lighter I don't need to go all the way to an electronic ignition. I just needed to set the lighter higher to get a better connection with the flow of gas through the frizzon hole. I did check with my favorite RV dealer and he inidcated I should have no problem with the lighter being higher.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote