Stovetop finish - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Member
 
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Posts: 41
I have searched around on different forums here and haven't found anyone who has done the stupid thing that I have done so I'm looking for advice: The chrome stovetop on the original 83 was rusted and pitted. Rust cleaner I used made it look worse, went to black. I took guy at HD's advice and sanded with fine grade, used primed, sanded more, used spray paint for metal, couple of coats. Ha! One trip and those grates floated around the finish, taking it completely off in some areas, just scratched in others. Looks terrrible. Should I look for a new stovetop or can I salvage this? I have seen on one of our forums here the suggestion of using high heat engine paint but it seemed more people had poor results with it than had good results. Also read about powder coating. Anyone have experience with this? Other methods of recoating the chrome stovetop? Thanks in advance for any help!
Karin
__________________

__________________
KarinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Posts: 3,052
Registry
Epoxy paint
http://www.nothingbuthardware.com/785532.html


Name:   785532.gif
Views: 53
Size:  4.9 KB

Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
Member
 
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Posts: 41
[quote]Epoxy paint
http://www.nothingbuthardware.com/785532.html

Attachment 21737


Thank you! Surely Home Depot sells this? I'll check and use this online source if not . . .
__________________
KarinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Posts: 3,052
Registry
If not at Home Depot try your local hardware store.
__________________
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
james kent's Avatar
 
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Posts: 2,938
KarenP
Ours was a mess, so I took it into the house and placing it in the kitchen sink, I sprayed it with oven cleaner and waited about 15 minutes. Then I scrubbed it with a plastic scrubby. [or was that an SOS pad? It's been a few years.] It came up looking like new. I have been asked several times if I had it recromed.
Try it. What can you lose?
If that doesn't work try a high heat enamel.
Jim
__________________
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Lizbeth's Avatar
 
Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Posts: 2,027
Registry
Mine was pretty nasty too. I scrubbed it and then used Maguiar's metal polish on it. People always comment on how good it looks.

I have never heard of good results with paint either. I know several people here have had the tops powder coated and like it.
__________________
1979 Boler B1300 | 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | We officially have a collection!
Lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Member
 
Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
Posts: 48
Hey Karin

Get it Re-Chromed. It will, however cost you about a hundred bucks, if not more. This is what I did. Never have to worry again. Re-chroming was cheaper than buying a new stove.

Kevin.
__________________
KevinDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Member
 
Raymond Brodeur's Avatar
 
Trailer: Boler 17 ft 1977 / 04 Explorer Sport Trac
Posts: 66
Quote:
Hey Karin

Get it Re-Chromed. It will, however cost you about a hundred bucks, if not more. This is what I did. Never have to worry again. Re-chroming was cheaper than buying a new stove.

Kevin.
This is what I did too.
Look at it before mod,
Click image for larger version

Name:	poele.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	21874
,
then after painting with high temp paint :
Click image for larger version

Name:	poeleapres.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	21877
. Finishing was scrapped after one season.
Now, after Rechroming :
Click image for larger version

Name:	DessusPoele.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	21875
. The cost was as Kevin said. And after 5 years, it is still like a new one.
__________________
Raymond Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Tom U's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Posts: 382
Registry
Quote:
Also read about powder coating. Anyone have experience with this? Other methods of recoating the chrome stovetop? Thanks in advance for any help!
Karin
Karin,

We just had the top of our stove powder coated. The deepest pits still show but are not so noticeable as to be bothersome. The finish is thick and glossy and hides a lot. We also had the side rails and back trim done at the same time. Prices here in CA are steeper than elsewhere. We paid $100 total. Call a motorcycle repair shop for the name of a good powder coating facility and negotiate the price. If the price is firm ask if more pieces can be done at the same time for the same price. Cash may get a discount...

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
stove_top_1.jpg   stove_top_2.jpg  

__________________
Tom - '79 Fiber Stream

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Bob H's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Posts: 359
I used Rust-OleumHammered Metal Enamel on mine and it looks great.
There's even a neat tour that explains more.

ConwayBob
__________________
Check out my Scamp restoration video on Youtube, & my Ham Radio Blog. Or take the 50 cent tour...
Bob H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Bill F.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Posts: 177
Quote:
I have searched around on different forums here and haven't found anyone who has done the stupid thing that I have done so I'm looking for advice: The chrome stovetop on the original 83 was rusted and pitted. Rust cleaner I used made it look worse, went to black. I took guy at HD's advice and sanded with fine grade, used primed, sanded more, used spray paint for metal, couple of coats. Ha! One trip and those grates floated around the finish, taking it completely off in some areas, just scratched in others. Looks terrrible. Should I look for a new stovetop or can I salvage this? I have seen on one of our forums here the suggestion of using high heat engine paint but it seemed more people had poor results with it than had good results. Also read about powder coating. Anyone have experience with this? Other methods of recoating the chrome stovetop? Thanks in advance for any help!
Karin
I've tried the spray bomb high heat route with no successs. Now I'm going to try ceramid coating done by a local shop. This coating is used on exhaust pipes and headers so it should withstand the heat. You can have it any color you want as long as it's black for about $60.
Bill
__________________
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
MikeCM's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Actively shopping for a project, again.
Posts: 192
All else fails buy a replacement...RVSalvage
__________________
Former 83 Burro Owner (destroyed in fire)
Looking for a new Fiberglass Project Trailer in New England.
MikeCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Scott S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Scott
Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Manitoba
Posts: 515
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I have the same issue... thinking of sending it to be powder coated. the place I called said they do a lt grey daily and If that was OK with me it would cost less than $50. good forever then
__________________
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #14
Member
 
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Posts: 41
Quote:
I used Rust-OleumHammered Metal Enamel on mine and it looks great.
There's even a neat tour that explains more.

ConwayBob

How has it held up Bob? I worry about the heavy cast iron grates that sit on it. They ravaged my paint finish in one 3-hour drive. I could travel with them off but don't want the complication!
__________________

__________________
KarinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exterior Finish Landy Luther Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 2 06-24-2010 12:44 PM
Electric Stovetop georgia g Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 12-29-2009 08:01 PM
Scamp stovetop dave, a Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 17 09-13-2008 11:19 AM
Electric stovetop? Filbert V. Modifications, Alterations and Updates 6 04-14-2007 12:58 AM
Suz' Stovetop Biscuits DaveK Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes 2 11-19-2005 11:14 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.