Striping Paint or vinyl? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #1

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Striping Paint or vinyl?

Just finished painting my boler white and was planning on adding blue stripes around the middle using spray paint and masking tape. After I masked it all up I tried spraying my stripes using a touch up paint. It reacted badly with the white rust paint and wrinkled up the paint. I discovered that the two paints were a bad match. So off came the tape and I repainted the area with white. Now I want to try something else such as vinyl. Someone posted a link here a couple weeks ago from this company.

About Us

Cant find the thread again and was wondering what people thought about the product as a striping option.

Any other places to get striping?
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Might try searching around JC Whitney, quick search turned up this.
Spartan TRICOLOR STRIPING KITS - JCWhitney
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #3

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
Most auto parts stores like Auto Zone or Car quest have rolls of auto stripe tape. Any auto paint store will also have a good variety of stripe kits. I'd be very surprised if ebay didn't have many striping options as well. Pulling a masking tape "line" to follow with the stripe might be helpfull. Good luck.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Rene, I can't find that post either, but here's a whole thread with other links for you: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...pes-34534.html

Hopefully soon you'll get the answers you seek.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: Stripes
New, these can be very expensive. Try on eBay under RV accessories. I bought a 150' roll of 7 different width stripes about two years ago for about $60 from an RV Surplus place in Ekhart, IN

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #6

Name: Ruth
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arkansas
Registry
I will tell you about my striping. 5 years ago we wanted to get the scamp to look like a small radio and thought it would be easier to use vinyl striping then paint ordered 2 inch wide and the numbers and the name. Scrubbed the camper down wiped each area as we moved along with alcohol. After a year we started getting water behind some of the large stripes and no problems with numbers and letters. Took the bad ones off, did it again. Same problem, could be me, not an expert by any means or the fact that the camper sits outside uncovered. I had painted the "knobs" on with acrylic craft paint and only had some fading so this year I painted the stripes and it was easy with painters tape. 3 coats of paint to get good even coverage, but very fast with foam brush.
Ruthies Radiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #7

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Thanks for the feedback folks, not sure yet what I will do. Keep reading I guess.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 73 Hunter Compact II
Registry
Did you scuff the white paint prior to applying the blue? If it was fully cured, and a different type (lacquer over enamel or urethane) it won't lay down well. Touch up paint also may not contain a hardener and I wouldn't suggest using it in the first place.
Get the same type of paint as the white base coat, and since the white is cured; scuff the area you are stripping so it will have something to "bite" and hold on to.
Scott Williams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint