Stripped Screw Holes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #1

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Hunter Compact ii
Kentucky
Stripped Screw Holes

Hello all, well this week's chin rubber is stripped screw holes. My lower cabinet has two stripped screw holes but more than that the hinge is placed right at a section were it looks like two pieces of wood were glued together. I would also glue the wood as well but I have nothing to anchor to.

Not sure if I should try and screw the left side wood to the right or just fill the s crew holes with wood glue. Please I need your advice.

Thank You

Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper 004.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	43750
Quint362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
have you tried toothpicks?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yea, toothpicks or wooden match sticks, mixed with a little wood glue usually works for me.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #4

Kentucky
Have not yet tried tooth picks. I wanted to try and fix the separation between the two pieces of wood. If I can stabilize the outer piece of wood I think I can find a screw to hold. At this point when I try to put the screws in the left wood just opens more.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #5

Can you squirt some glue between the two boards and then drive a couple of small screws perpendicular to the stripped holes?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
put some glue and then nail the trim board from the side. let dry and fill the holes and try drilling a small pilot hole to keep from splitting the wood. Also try finer thread screws.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
put some glue and then nail the trim board from the side. let dry and fill the holes and try drilling a small pilot hole to keep from splitting the wood. Also try finer thread screws.
I'm no fan of nails. When the wood dries, they pull out, especially in a rockin' and rollin' trailer.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
There are hinges that will rap around and attach to the inner surface ,this kind may work for you . I think Mike Whitney on his 88 little bigfoot used piano hinge could work also ,but you will still have to repair the cabinet

How this helps
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok ,,,if that strip was glued on there originaly heres what you have to do.
with a knife blade or putty knife would be better. work it into the crack and down forcing the piece apart until it is seperated. then clean off the glue on both sides by scraper or sand papre down to clean wood. you can then glue it back into place. you need to do this because its called "wood glue".......not glue glue.
thento glue it back in place, evenly coat both pieces with elmers, or your favorite wood glue. place it in position. i would then tack it in place with a couple small finish nails so it won't slide. if you don't like the nails, leave the head up so you can remove them later.
using a couple of bar clamp that can be reversed apply firm even preasure by pressing acrossed the cupboard. you want it firm,, but not so tight it squeezes out all the glue.
if you don't have such bar clamps, you can use a couple scrap sticks of wood cut slightly longer then the gap, so they can be wedged in snugly.
leave space for a scrap of wood under the ends of the sticks to protect the cabinet.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #10

Michigan
that was a lot of writing,,,but it really will only take ten or fifteen minutes do do the repair correctly once you collect you tools.<_<
Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The method John describes is exactly how I would do it. I would use four or five 1" brads instead of finishing nail and I would use my drill to spin them partially in as if they were a drill bit and then tap and set them in the rest of the way. Like John says, 10-15 min. Once the spit is repaired ( 24hrs drying time) I would drill out the screw holes, fill the holes with a dowel (glued), softwood if you can find it. Cut flush. Drill pilot holes and reinstall your hinge. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #12

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
The method John describes is exactly how I would do it. I would use four or five 1" brads instead of finishing nail and I would use my drill to spin them partially in as if they were a drill bit and then tap and set them in the rest of the way. Like John says, 10-15 min. Once the spit is repaired ( 24hrs drying time) I would drill out the screw holes, fill the holes with a dowel (glued), softwood if you can find it. Cut flush. Drill pilot holes and reinstall your hinge. Good luck, Raz
good idea on plug and drill. though once its glued up, the original holes might be just right again. a quick test fit will tell.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #13

Kentucky
Thank you again for all responses. This is how I made the repairs. First when I tried the putty knife the wood acted as if it did not want to come off clean. So I nailed two finishing nails and filled the holes with wood glue. Waited three days and screwed the screws back into holes. Slightly slanting them so that they could "bite" into fresh wood. Installed new barrel hinge for a snug fit and all is good to go. THANKS
Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #14

Michigan
cool!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
It's good to know there are talented peeps in here.
The only change I would've done to John's suggestion is to pre-drill the outside piece of wood so the screws free-floats through it.
I like using screws. I would put them in on both sides of where the hinges are, counter-sink them and leave them in.

All is well, and if sometime down the road you need to fix something else, please see this thread!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #16

Kentucky
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this forum. Being a new owner of my first camper ever I have relied so much for all the collective knowledge that this site can offer. You can rest assured I will ask here first for any projects I have in the future.

Once again Thank You!!