Stuck Drawers in '98 Scamp - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Stuck Drawers in '98 Scamp

Second of Two Notes...

So, what's with the Scamp drawers?? On our '98 they are so sticky that I actually have pulled the front off one of the drawers trying to get 'em out. What have other folks done? I think that slider design they use is just plain weird...

Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #2

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Do your draws have the metal sliders? If so check to see if they are dirty or have any rust on them and clean them well - check to see if any of the screws holding the sliders in place are at all loose and raised up. If there was a screw raised it may have caused one of the sliders to be rough on the surface which will create a problem so it might be easier to just replace the slider than trying to smooth it back out - although some say rubbing beeswax onto the rough spots helps. If the sliders are very clean and no screws loose then could try adding a couple of drops of lubricant to them will also help - I did that about 4 years ago and they have been fine on mine since.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #3

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I cleaned the metal drawer slides on my 99 Scamp , checked the screws and sprayed the slides with a silicone type lube which was approved for USDA food service use ( Did not want to use something harmful on drawers that contain silverware or dishes). Seems to have worked so far but don' t know for how long .
Old 08-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #4

Minnesota
Registry
It's the metal channels that fit over the wood type... I'm drying the whole thing out with a fan now hoping the wood will un-swell (is that like shrink?) and I can pull the drawer out. When it does, and after I've put the front back on, I'll lubricate as suggested.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
It sounds like the same as mine. So the drawer got wet? That may be your issue - the wood piece that goes through the runner has swelled and is out of shape -it may not go back to original shape - you may have to sand down the wood runner to get it smooth both on the bottom/top and side..
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland & Labrador
One old trick is to run a candle across all points of contact, after everything is sanded and cleaned. The wax helps to reduce friction. I know this works well with wooden drawers especially in old dressers.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #7

Minnesota
Registry
I sanded the wood centerpiece and gave it a good rub-down with bee's wax. I then spritzed inside of the runners with Teflon spray. All is well! I also plugged up the plethora of drill holes in the bottom of the range's pan that were letting water drip down in the first place and swelling the wood. I'll be careful just to do a "damp" wipe of the range top in the future.

Tags
scamp